View Full Version : plug builders stuff

MAC
09-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I've turned my last plug. When these are done so am I (with plug building) Everything going to go,I am totally burnt out. Lathe w/duplicator and templates will go as a unit, will not seperate. bandsaw, dust collector (2) drill press. Sorby tools. bench vertical beltsander..... a whole bunch of createx paints, airbrushes, grommets, eyes, lips and a compressor. Everything you need to build plugs.

mikecc
09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Say it's not so MAC and your just having a bad day

If you are serious let me know about the Lathe w/duplicator and templates

Slipknot
09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Mac, it's not April 1st so I'm worried about you. :(
you are one of the best builders on the coast, just say it ain't so and maybe just take a break for a bit. I did, and I will get at it again soon.

If you are serious, I am interested in the Sorby's and the dust collector.

CAL
09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Did somebody move April fools day to September? :eek5:

MikeTLive
09-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, if you want to give it all away I will take it :)
looks like your listed prive is ... free :)
and you can use it any time you like.

MAC
09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Well, if you want to give it all away I will take it :)
looks like your listed prive is ... free :)
and you can use it any time you like.

Yaeh right. I'm scottish remember. :)

tattoobob
09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Mac your Plugs are a work of art, I can't believe it.

Grapenuts
09-20-2006, 08:38 PM
This is worse then having a death in the family.:bc:

BigBo
09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Better start hoarding all your MAC plugs, cause the value just went up.:hidin:

Guyver
09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
a whole bunch of createx paints, grommets, eyes, lips

I really hope you change your mind but if you don't can you give me the rundown and prices on these items?

Diggin Jiggin
09-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave. Like some of the other guys said, maybe put it away or just scale it back to the hobby level and build what you personally want to fish for a while. Maybe even stop using the duplicator and just turn some by hand, so its not a production line thing.

When I get my last batch done in may, I'm so ready to put the tools down and pick up the rods. And I know by the end of october, it will be just the opposite. I'll be exhausted from fishing and ready to put the rods away, get some sleep and get out the tools again.

In The Surf
09-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Say it ain't so! I was looking forward to getting some MAC pikies & dannies this winter.

pops
09-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I have loads of Mac 's plugs , always felt good knowing I could get more if I lost one....:eyes: ...but now :sick:

MAC
09-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the concern everyone but my mind is made up. I'll be seperating stuff next week and out the door it goes. The 2 or 3 guys who have orders in, they will be done by Monday. I will have some extras put up in the sponsors section next week as well then that's it.

UserRemoved1
09-21-2006, 04:43 AM
It's not always the fun it's made out to be.

Dave call me later 5085618652 and I may take the bandsaw n drills etc depending on what they are.

Redsoxticket
09-21-2006, 04:47 AM
I knew that your "misfit pike" that got the "mac attack" was the sign to a near end.

out2sea
09-21-2006, 06:06 AM
MAC, sorry to hear you want to dump the lot, I would be intested in buying it as it appears it will be a long cold winter and I need something to keep me from going insane! Please advise of $.

lurch
09-21-2006, 06:12 AM
I only have a few of your plugs but they are by far the best swimming plugs I have...sorry to hear about this.

I know we only met a few times but if you need help with anything please let me know.

reelecstasy
09-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Time to retire all my Mac plugs to the wall....after the Vineyard that is :devil2:

NIB
09-21-2006, 07:30 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WTF U can't do this u'll be sorry just push it aside for a while.
Thats what I did.
Every know an then I need a plug for a specific reason.
I make it..
Scotish is stubborn. Not stupid...

vineyardblues
09-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Mac, after you sell everything can you also burn down Bassmasters cave please.
PM sent
VB

Skitterpop
09-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow

Hope all is well Dave :kewl:

Flaptail
09-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Dave, chill man. Burn out is something I know well. In writing I took almost a year and a half off from the magazine thing. Writers block was terrible and you can only say something about something so many times in so many ways before it's boring and a chore to get motivated to do. I had to walk away from writing for a while. Your good, very good. A vacation from the craft would be a better route. Lock it all up and forget about it and go fishing. It might take six months or two years but the urge will return, trust me. It will be mighty expensive to start from scratch again. Collect old stuff for a while and increase your personal plug museum's inventory. I put it all away for the spring summer and fall and just concentrate on fishing itself. Building plugs is for the wintertime.
Dave, reconsider and forget the knee jerk reaction when it all gets too much to just chuck it. Just put it all in storage, you'll see.

Peace bro, take a deep breath and relax.

riverrat2
09-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Oh man this is the worst news ever, I need more black/gold pikies, that canal pencil you gave me was amazing. I don't have enough MAC plugs yet!

redneck24
09-21-2006, 07:17 PM
this is one of the saddest days in history. :(

bobber
09-21-2006, 08:07 PM
what Flap said........... just don't go near the tools for as long as it takes. to try to start all over again would be a massive undertaking, and expensive as hell.....

I can teach ya flyfishing- I had the same response to doin' that 2 years ago- now look at me- I'm a plug-builder:tm:

MAC
09-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry I haven't responded to guys who PM'd me. (thanks by the way) I will know tomorrow whether it is going as a lot or piecemeal. Either way my garage will be cleaned out by this time next week.

wstcoastcastn
09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
hello all, new plugger here and i just received my first ever MAC plug yesterday. all i can say is, "say it ain't so." i can't believe it, i'm never gonna get to hold a fabled MAC pikie...

Matty Fish
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I hope you change your mind Dave, love your stuff and your pikie's have been working great down here

MikeTLive
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I hereby propose a 1yr boycot on MAC's stuff.
dont let the this master part out his stuff till he has had a good break from it to think.

MAC
09-21-2006, 08:24 PM
I hereby propose a 1yr boycot on MAC's stuff.
dont let the this master part out his stuff till he has had a good break from it to think.

LOL, sorry but you don't have that kind of pull around here.

MikeTLive
09-21-2006, 10:02 PM
pull... whatever. it's highly overrated.

I thought I remembered watching your posts as you learned to make plugs. So I did a quick search. (love them serches)

from 2003. must have been like crack to make you feel like you need to drop it cold turkey.

I've been building plugs for....a whole 3 1/2 weeks now. But I have been a carpenter for going on 20 yrs. Why I never built them before this I have no idea. Like Slip said the money that can be involved can really get up there. This forum has been very helpful ( I've been lurking for a while) and informative. Have I ever sold a plug No, will I ever sell a plug or plugs, probably. Not to make a living though just for something to do on the side. My hat is off to guys like J. Habs and others who do this for a living, it has to be long days.
(http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?p=67229#post67229)

JohnR
09-22-2006, 12:06 AM
MAC - I can't believe I'm seeing this but I can only come to a few possible realizations:

1) You actually are serious - I hope not, because the stuff you do is incredible and I really enjoy seeing over the past few years the standards you've set in building and sharing with people. Just simply great stuff. So if this is not some wierd prank, thank you for what you've done over the past few years.

2) This is some clever plan to upgrade the entire shop

3) You are inheriting Capesam's Basement

4) You are getting into jig making

5) This is truly some joke

Seriously, if this is what you want to do, good luck. Personally I'll be a bit saddened if you hang up your lathe.

DaveS
09-22-2006, 02:33 AM
NO!!!!!! :bc:

MAC
09-22-2006, 03:43 AM
pull... whatever. it's highly overrated.

I thought I remembered watching your posts as you learned to make plugs. So I did a quick search. (love them serches)

from 2003. must have been like crack to make you feel like you need to drop it cold turkey.

(http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?p=67229#post67229)

Yes, I started in Feb of 2003 if I remember right. I never pretended to have been doing it longer. And it is like a drug. If you have never done it, you wouldn't understand. It totally took over my life. (I have small trees growing out of the gutters on the house). I haven't cut a cord of wood (even though I own 4 chainsaws) in those 4 winters either. By next spring I won't need to worry about scraping the house as all the paint will have fallen off. I do know one of my faults is an excessive, compulsive personality. Cold turkey is the only way. It's like cocaine back in the 80's, very addictive. I never touched or tried it though. Because I knew I would have liked it and watched too many friends lives go down the crapper. So lets just drop this "trying to talk me down from the ledge" . My mind is made up and it won't change. family and other parts of my life are more important than spinning wood or catching fish. (no I am not giving up fishing)

As far as the excessive compulsiveness goes, it creeps up on you. Before 2000 I couldn't turn on a computer. (I am still computer illiterate) Was I catching fish before that, yes. My grandfather started me fishing back in the 60's and I've never given up on it. I worked tuna fishing commercially back in the 80s for a while too. But fishing is just a hobby and not my life. Stripers are just fish, not some (holy grail). Read some of the posts on the various fishing sites and you'll see how a lot of people think differently on this. Some are fanatical and some see it just as a way to spend some quality time.

Cranium
09-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Good luck. Believe me I understand the OCD cycle. Thanks for the all the help you have given over the last three years.
Mark

Striperhound
09-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Dave,

Good luck in the future with everything you do. From the 1st time I sent you a pm with plug building questions you always were quick to respond, a true gentleman. Thanks and good luck.

tynan19
09-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Mac, wish you the best. I have to hang up my pikies now. Any pencils left kicking around?

Matty Fish
09-22-2006, 10:04 AM
If your mind is made up Dave, then best of luck with everything you do. At 22, I'll just have to be careful for the next 40 or so years throwing your plugs when there are blues around....:err:

ProfessorM
09-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Sounds to me you got everything in perspective Dave. Good luck your plugs will be missed and thanks for all the help. Paul

Raven
09-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I would never try and talk you out of a final decision
because i know better....

i have just one of your plugs that i will cherish and i will
fish it as it was meant to be fished.

I would have prefered that you wrote a highly illustrated
book on plug making and got rich than to go cold turkey
but i can understand your dilema.... after your description.

I have read every post you did on plug making and i have
learned many things from them and your posted pictures.

i thank you and salute you and your craftsmanship.:claps:

Bravo Mac.... you have set some new standards that will
carry on for generations to come.

BigFish
09-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Dave I am sorry to hear this! I wish you the best in what ever you do.:uhuh:

Charlie G
09-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Dang MAC sorry to hear this. But if it's time to move on and enjoy then all the best to you. Now about that house painting , I've got a three story you can learn on. Just don't give up fishing next.

tattoobob
09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
You know what sucks, I sold a bunch of Mac plugs because I needed the money, and figured I will just buy new ones when I am back to work, some things just don't work out as planned. Mac Good luck and enjoy all your new free time. and room in the basement now.

jim sylvester
09-23-2006, 03:56 PM
dave,
good luck with everything you do

you made the right decision...when something takes over your life like that its time to take a step back and eveluate the situation

the skills will always be there for you

eelman
09-23-2006, 07:02 PM
I know the OCD thing myself, I am guilty of it with fishing and letting family and other things slide..I gave up for a couple years because I just cant be a weekend warrior its either Go anytime I want or not go at all....Sometimes I swear its going to kill me, I simply think about fishing 24/7 or talk about it etc...Every single thing in my life revolves around fishing.

Just the other day Clammer ask'd me if there was anything else in my life that makes me happy....I cant think of anything....

Anyway I am rambling, I just know where your coming from and respect you for realizing it and trying to make the change.....Congrats and go smell the roses...Sometimes I think the biggest mistake in my life was picking up a fishing rod................

Best of luck to you!

Water Treater
09-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Mac,

You've made the right decision, Flaptail's comments notwithstanding. Once a hobby becomes compulsive, it's no longer a hobby.
Good for you!

Slammer223
09-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow Dave,to see this outpouring of emotion,you must make one heck of a plug.Congratulations on a job well done.

bloocrab
09-28-2006, 11:18 PM
:shocked: ....Dave, I hope it wasn't the colors I asked for or the Mac logo I scribbled up with the mouse!!..I wasn't trying to scare ya man!!...

From my serious side, congratulations on making the right decision. I'm sure you gave it a LOT of thought ~ Good luck...and thank God I got that order in when I did...must have been the last of the last, lol...

you're a good guy Dave, someone I'd do dishes with anytime...or share my honeys hole with................oooops, the s is on the wrong word!! :tm: .....hope to fish with you again some time this season. Drop me a PM ~Gilly

Skitterpop
09-30-2006, 09:11 PM
[quote=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]I know the OCD thing myself, I am guilty of it with fishing and letting family and other things slide..I gave up for a couple years because I just cant be a weekend warrior its either Go anytime I want or not go at all....Sometimes I swear its going to kill me, I simply think about fishing 24/7 or talk about it etc...Every single thing in my life revolves around fishing.

Just the other day Clammer ask'd me if there was anything else in my life that makes me happy....I cant think of anything....

Anyway I am rambling, I just know where your coming from and respect you for realizing it and trying to make the change.....Congrats and go smell the roses...Sometimes I think the biggest mistake in my life was picking up a fishing rod................

On picking up the rod thing...Stripers in Heaven agree :bshake:

Dave Mcleod Rules.... :cheers:

Arne P
10-01-2006, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=Skitterpop
Dave Mcleod Rules.... :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Dave,
I've been away from the computer for a bit and I just saw this.
Your plugs are fish-catching works of art. I'm still going to keep using them. That's what they are for. (Although I may put aside one or two.) ;)
Best of luck in your future endeavors! :walk: :kewl: