View Full Version : night tripping the islands

MikeTLive
09-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Any of you ever do a night trip to the vinyard or nantucket?
pack a midnight snack and your surfbag.
put on yourwaders, cary your pole
no car. probly no bike either.
buy a round trip at the gate, sleep on the boatrides, fish all night.

would you keep any of the catch(how would you bring it back)?

have any tips or tricks? stories of failure or success?

DRUMCORPFAN
09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Did a friday through sunday trip in 2004, Slept in a truck for the weekend. Thank goodness for the all night restrooms and showers in menemsha, Takes a toll on you never could get the proper rest but it was still a good time.

leo

reelecstasy
09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I think NightProwler has done it several times...

numbskull
09-21-2006, 03:22 PM
On the Vineyard you will need transportation to get you to any reasonable fishing spot once you arrive. On Nantucket, you could probably access Brant Pont and Jetties beach on foot from the ferry, but most of the island is inaccessible without renting a vehicle. Taxis are available, but pricey.
If you can handle difficult conditions, look into Cuttyhunk which is ONLY fishable on foot.

nightprowler
09-21-2006, 03:24 PM
I think NightProwler has done it several times...
sort of...my family has a house on the island, so i keep my fish-mobile on the island. I live in woods hole, and take the 515 commuter boat over for the night, hammer some fish, make the 10 pm weigh-in, fish, sleep for a few hours at my family's house (they are all gone for the winter....suckerssssssssssss)
take a 615 or 7 am boat in the morning go to work, and repeat the next night....:humpty:

MikeTLive
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I work in Waltham - I think I can swing fishing the canal in the AM (or if I could figure out my own home town Scituate just stay local).
runnin to the vinyard nightly and driving to work would kill me.

however, going down on a friday or saturday and coming back the next morning would be doable -- if I had parking.

kippy
09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Did a friday through sunday trip in 2004, Slept in a truck for the weekend. Thank goodness for the all night restrooms and showers in menemsha, Takes a toll on you never could get the proper rest but it was still a good time.

leo

That was a great trip Leo, sleeping by the ocean was cool. I wish the fishing had been better though.

numbskull
09-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I work in Waltham - I think I can swing fishing the canal in the AM (or if I could figure out my own home town Scituate just stay local).
runnin to the vinyard nightly and driving to work would kill me.

however, going down on a friday or saturday and coming back the next morning would be doable -- if I had parking.

I've spent a lot of years and effort getting to difficult places to fish at difficult times. It is fun, and sometimes worthwhile, but years ago I came to the conclusion that if catching fish is the goal, you are almost always better off to spend your time fishing locally and more often than to spend it planning and traveling to more famous spots.

Finaddict
09-21-2006, 04:15 PM
I've spent a lot of years and effort getting to difficult places to fish at difficult times. It is fun, and sometimes worthwhile, but years ago I came to the conclusion that if catching fish is the goal, you are almost always better off to spend your time fishing locally and more often than to spend it planning and traveling to more famous spots.

That is absolutely true, know your backyard and fish it hard ... you will find better results than traveling all the time ... although trips here and there to places such Cutty, BI, etc. are always a fun thing to do now and then.

piemma
09-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Listen to these guys. This running to the Islands to be high hook is a lot of *^%$). If you have the time and the money it's great but for us guys who go to work everyday you are better off fishing around your home and doing the once a year special trip. I know people who are running everywhere driving themselves crazy when there are tons of fish locally if you fish hard.
Me, I've done the 300 miles R/T, 2 nights a weekend back and forth to the Back. I've done the BI, MV and the Islands thing. I stick to SOCo and The Bay and find tons of fish. Maybe not 40s and 50s but enough 20s and 30s to keep me happy.

MikeTLive
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, I already picked up a frozen mackerel tonite.
gonna go chunking for a bit tomorrow morning I think.
in my favorite local spot.
the spot that has yeilded my two keepers.
yes... TWO.

however, I really like fishing even though I'm not all that successful.
and fishing in new places is cool too.
and I like visiting the islands.

Joe
09-21-2006, 08:44 PM
I say do your homework and go for it. If you never go anywhere or try anything different you'll never know anything about anywhere other than your own backyard.

It's unrealistic to expect you'll know every place but if a place holds some kind of mystique to you, or you feel compelled to fish somewhere - that could be a sign from the fishing gods. Pick one or two places and make an effort to get to know them. Life's too short to miss out on even your most modest dreams.

I've done a lot of all-nighters on the Block - some of my best and most memorable fishing experiences stem from those trips. I would not trade those memories for anything. And this fall, if the wind turns right and I can spare a day, I'll probably head down to the stand-by lot. I'll probably get a room though.

tynan19
09-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Mike, MV would be out of the question unless you have a vehicle. It also cost about $135 to get over with your car and you need a reservation. I say save up for a family vaca for a week over there in the fall or spring.

I want to get back over to the derby but can't justify driving over for one night. Any one need a quide for a night?:usd:

JohnR
09-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Cutty & Block (with a canal bike to a lesser extent) are doable that way but forget about lugging fish around...

Joe
09-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Sheet.....There's a cabbie on Block "Rides By Rich" Ph: 401.466.2399
He will pick you up at the boat, dump you off by the south side at night, take ya back to the boat in the am....we're not talking a lot of money.