View Full Version : lobster traps close to shore

*LB
09-21-2006, 03:03 PM
There are a couple spots I fish that have lobster traps within 30-40 yards of the rocks. They're a magnet for plugs and hooked fish, and they really cut off some good water from surfcasting. I don't think these traps are being checked regularly and they may have been pushed in from storms and abandoned. Has anyone had any experience in clearing up this type of mess. I sent an e-mail to the RI DEM but I haven't heard back yet. If I had a boat I'd drag them out myself, but that's not an option and I don't have tackle heavy enough to reel them in.

Mike P
09-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Wait until DEM answers before you do anything.

Don't know about RI, but in Mass, it's illegal to disturb or move a trap that isn't yours---even a wrecked, washed-ashore one.

JohnR
09-21-2006, 07:24 PM
I seem to recall some talk between the lobster guys and some surf fishers (they would be those fishing from the surf :devil2: ) . That talk was from a well respected surf angler but it may have been pretty much just in the Newport vicinity.

I'll ask DEM as well though I do not believe there is any regulation on it but let me know if you hear something.

numbskull
09-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Wait until DEM answers before you do anything.

Don't know about RI, but in Mass, it's illegal to disturb or move a trap that isn't yours---even a wrecked, washed-ashore one.

Yeah, but sometimes they get tangled in my cleat and I pull them 30yds before I notice.........usually on foggy days this can happen.