View Full Version : So, I got a spool of spiderwire

striprman
09-21-2006, 06:22 PM
and i'm going to set it up on a 12 foot spinning rod with a penn captiva 8000.
Says on the package:
wont cut rod guides
reduced backlashes, whip knotting
resists "digging in" on reel
teflon treated microfibers
quiet
smooth casting
teflon treated superbraid

stuff is dark green.

So, how do I set up my reel. I was thinking about using about 20 yards of 25 pound test mono backing, connected with uni-to-uni knots to a 20 foot or so piece of 40 or 50 pound mono (uni-to uni) for a shock leader.

Any other suggestions for putting this kind of line on ?
Will I need a finger protector ?

Spiderwire stealth 300 yards, 50 pound test.

Rappin Mikey
09-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Sounds good, I use electrical tape.

CAL
09-21-2006, 07:26 PM
You won't need any finger protection with the 50#. I've been using it for three years and no problems with cuts.

As far as the uni knots, I found that the knot slips with Spiderwire. I'd swear I was tying it right, but I don't know. After a bunch of lost plugs I gave up and went palomar to swivel. No more slippage but it obviously limits the length of my leader.

harritchate
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
definately palomar to swivel... i have had limited sucess with uni-uni and blood knots working but the stealth is just too slippery

libassboy
09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Palomar is the way to go..will not slip and very easy to tie in the dark

Mike P
09-21-2006, 08:12 PM
You might want to use a finger protector if you're throwing bait with a sinker of 5 oz or more, and using a spinning reel.

You don't need anything protecting your leveling thumb if fishing conventional. Stealth is pretty smooth finished.

striprman
09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Should I even use a mono shock leader or just tie on a 3 foot leader to the jig/lure and just use the braded line itself as the "shock leader" ? Will the braid "unfrazzel" after repeated casts and become weak ? Should I use a mono shock leader or just a barrel swivel on a shorter leader ?

Thanks for the previous replys. Palomar it is. Oh, how about an improved clinch knot ? (thats what I usually always use when tieing knots in mono) how do they stand up with this stuff ?

striprman
09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Ok, I will answer my own questions. The fireline seemed to stand up
to repeated casting (didnt get the frizzys) and I just used it straight to a barrel swivel, and a 3' piece of 50 pound test ande clear mono as a leader for the jig and popper. The firelineline worked fine without a mono "shock leader".
I tried casting with and without a finger guard . I didn't get cut but the fingerguard made it more comfortable to cast repeatedly (I just wrapped 3 or 4 wraps of duct tape around my right index finger).
Was a rather different experience using the fireline instead of mono. Didn't seem to cast as far (maybe it was me just getting used to no strech) but the way the rod felt after hooking up was certainly different than using mono (I caught a couple 26" blues and a 26" bass) 1 blue on a white and blue 3 ounce pencil popper and the other bass and blue on a 3 ounce bucktail with pork rind. Got a good workout, not too many fish around, a couple larger breaks way out in the middle about 6-6:30 A.M., no bites on bait (used 1 rod). So, I will be using this stuff now for jigging and casting poppers.
Think I'll go again Sunday and Monday. Oh, I used a palomar knot to attach the swivel and 2 improved clinch knots to attach the short piece of mono backing. I'm tired now, no sleep last night (I left at 3:30). Ya, jigging hurts my old back. I'm taking my kids next time, let them do all the work while I instruct them to cast the 12 foot rod.
Bluefish chowder for supper (I did keep 1). Kind of chilly, lots of fog between halfway gate and the Bourne bridge, actually was a pretty nice morning out there.

Slipknot
09-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Should I even use a mono shock leader or just tie on a 3 foot leader to the jig/lure and just use the braded line itself as the "shock leader" ? Will the braid "unfrazzel" after repeated casts and become weak ? Should I use a mono shock leader or just a barrel swivel on a shorter leader ?

Thanks for the previous replys. Palomar it is. Oh, how about an improved clinch knot ? (thats what I usually always use when tieing knots in mono) how do they stand up with this stuff ?

Yes use a leader of lesser strength than your braided line.

I use a palomar knot from braid to a barrel swivel, then just clinch knots for my leader. improved clinch is fine