View Full Version : More Seals

Skitterpop
09-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Chatham fisherman Paul Bremser can't shake the image of the great white shark exploding from the water next to him with a gray seal in its jaws. He was giving a surfing lesson off Lighthouse Beach in Chatham in July, and watched the water around him turn red from the seal's blood.
But it's a perceived threat to his livelihood that is really giving Bremser nightmares.
He claims the 5,000 to 6,000 gray seals that have arrived on Chatham's Monomoy Island and South Beach shores in the past decade are depleting local stocks of fish, including cod, haddock and flounder that fishermen depend on for their living. Bremser and other members of the Cape Hook Fishermen's Association want government officials to investigate, he said this week.
''It's to the point where we feel like we're in heavy competition with them,'' Bremser said.
Gray seals, like all marine mammals, are protected under the federal 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act. Under the law, it is illegal to kill or harass any marine mammal.
Bremser is gathering support from Lower Cape selectmen and residents to pressure Congress to authorize an official study of gray seals to see whether their numbers and activities in Cape waters - there is also a colony on Muskegat Island off Martha's Vineyard - are impacting the environment negatively.
So far, Chatham and Eastham selectmen have endorsed Bremser's call for research. He plans to make his case before the Orleans board next week, and will go to boards in Harwich, Wellfleet and Provincetown in coming weeks.
The Cape Hook Fishermen's Association ''strongly supports'' Bremser's quest, Tom Rudolph, research director for the group, told Eastham selectmen Monday.
Federal scientists would welcome more money for research but funding is scarce, said Gordon Waring, fisheries research biologist at National Marine Fisheries Service in Woods Hole.
In Chatham, there is cautious support for a research project, said David Whitcomb, chairman of the selectmen. In an effort to protect endangered shorebirds, the town has been the site of federal wildlife removal projects over the past 10 years that have resulted in the deaths of gulls and coyotes.
''Obviously, there's sensitivity over this,'' Whitcomb said. ''But the way (Bremser's) going about it, with a study, seems to make sense.''
The gray seal population has ''without question'' increased, said Chatham Harbor Master Stuart Smith. He hears from angry fishermen as well as satisfied tourists and seal-watch business owners, who enjoy seeing the 600- to 1,000-pound seals with the distinctive horselike head. ''I think a study is more than warranted,'' he said.
Any government study of gray seals on Cape Cod needs to include colonies in Maine and Nova Scotia as well, according to seal expert James Gilbert of the University of Maine in Orono. The seals that started staying year-round on Cape Cod in the late 1980s are from the same population that inhabits Sable Island in Canada and off the Maine coast, he said.
The diet of gray seals varies greatly, depending on what is available, Gilbert said. The average seal will eat about 5 pounds of fish a day and venture up to 50 miles in search of food, he said. Sand eels, which are plentiful off Monomoy Island, are a gray seal favorite.
Federal regulations have cut the number of days fishermen can catch fish, but on days when they can fish, it is common for a cod fishing boat to haul in about 800 pounds of fish a day.
Canadian research shows that the Sable Island gray seal population has been growing at a rate of about 13 percent a year, but a recent research paper based on the 2004 pupping season showed the population's growth rate had slowed to about 7 percent, Waring said.
Cape Cod fishermen are not alone in their fear of competition from gray seals, according to Waring. Several European countries, including Sweden and Norway, have culling programs. Canada allows 10,400 gray seals to be taken by hunters in Nova Scotia and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, according to the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans Web site.
Beyond competition, another concern fishermen have about the seals is that the animals are carriers of cod worms, a parasite that can infect commercial fish species. Fish are infected through the scat of seals. No study has ever shown a relationship between the size of a seal population and a cod worm infestation, according to Gilbert.

tynan19
09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I didn't realize how bad it was down on Nauset till this past weekend. A group of 5 seals would follow us up and down the beach sometimes going after our plugs. Down at Chatam Inlet it was ridiculous. You couldn't even fish with the amount of seals in the water. Gets a little scary when they come sneaking up behind you in the dark and growl.

Karl F
09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Casey.. U should see the picture on the Front page of the print copy of the CC times, taken at Chatham Inlet.. ya can barely see the sand for all the sea rats..
And they, like the Plovers, have more "rights" than people.. friggin sad,...a sorry comment on todays PC mindset society.

Slipknot
09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Casey.. U should see the picture on the Front page of the print copy of the CC times, taken at Chatham Inlet.. ya can barely see the sand for all the sea rats..
And they, like the Plovers, have more "rights" than people.. friggin sad,...a sorry comment on todays PC mindset society.

I'd be so pissed off I'd just drive my boat right over and thru them :af: :devil2: :devil:

time to write our congressmen I guess:conf: :sled:

capesams
09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Slipknot]I'd be so pissed off I'd just drive my boat right over and thru them :af: :devil2: :devil:

what do you think I've been doing these past years every time I'd go out..problem is..their to fast and get out of the way...even when your going full tilt through the middle of them.

Redsoxticket
09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
If you run over the seals, poison them or shoot with bow & arrow then don't not spread the word what you are doing including PMs, etc. (no evidence) and involve people that know how to keep there trap shut.

vineyardblues
09-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Not you Steve :grins:
VB

tynan19
09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Karl, I was also amazed at how many campers were out there but not fishing. Actually we were the only ones down by the inlet. I quess they know not to waste their time. So is it illegal to try and land a seal after hooked?

Skitterpop
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
They have become a plague for Cape Cod Fishers and the environment they inhabit.

Karl F
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Casey.. the camper crew.. love 'em.. truth be told, most fish daytime only, worms and a six ouince weight, rods in a spike, drag set loose.. lot of fishing in them big white igloos' ;), and by dark, well.. the "events" of the day, have caught up with them.. used to stay up many nights.. all alone, in the camper village.. their used to be a nice bar formed up at the last fence, right where a bunch of them line up.. years ago..
CS used to go out and sneak fish off of it years ago, at daybreak :hihi:

tynan19
09-22-2006, 01:23 PM
That is what my friend wanted to do but I was a little hesitant as to what they might have done had they caught us out front.

Slipknot
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
If you run over the seals, poison them or shoot with bow & arrow then don't not spread the word what you are doing including PMs, etc. (no evidence) and involve people that know how to keep there trap shut.
ya, we have some common sense. Nobody is running them over, it's the internet............
Besides, we couldn't put a dent in their population so what's the sense. The law needs to change, bring back the bounty.:nailem:

Redsoxticket
09-22-2006, 01:44 PM
The fishing industry, federal, state and local goverments can fund the cost for trawlers to capture the seals with steel trawling nets and haul them to an island somewhere far away.

Rhode Island don't count

slapshot
09-22-2006, 03:46 PM
We only have a few in central Long Island Sound, but they seem to turn the fishing off like a switch.

capesams
09-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Chumming offshore brings in the sharks..why not start chummin off the beach to bring them in..hint..hint.

yup...loved to stop right next to camper's on a fri. nite...walk between them an fish the hole they were hoggin....fridays nite's all were sound to sleep cause of a long week of workin...sat. nites were out cause they were all awake.....all were gone come sunday nite.

Flaptail
09-22-2006, 05:44 PM
sEALS SUCK. bUT LOW TIDE AT NIGHT DOES NOT THROW THEM FOR THRILLS, JUST A HINT. cARRY ON. jOIN m.a.s today ( Mothers against Seals):uhuh:

Karl F
09-23-2006, 08:49 AM
As the sun allowed me to see thru sleepy eyes this am, in the perfect surf laid down by Helene passing thru.. I could see what appeared to be a school of labrador retrievers.. once my hallucination wore off.. I realized.. it was the protected Sea Rats.. :wall:
explained my whole lousy nights adventure....