View Full Version : Pellets

ProfessorM
09-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Have you seen the price of pellets for your pellet stoves. I went to one place and they want 5.69 a bag. It is almost getting to be not worth using the thing. I am glad I have a wood stove too. They also told me that they expect a shortage like last year too. Anyone seen any deals out there? I am seriously thinking about using corn in my stove as it will burn corn also. P.

BigFish
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Some of my buddies buy by the pallet load! I don't know where!

ProfessorM
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah I usually buy by the ton. I have heard there is someone in Lakeville that is selling just pellets this year, not stoves or anything else. They decided to start a buisness because of the big shortage last year and the price gouging the occured. I read they put up a big cheap shelter building and bought 300 tons of pellets. I just need to find out where they are located. They should be less expensive because of less overhead I would think. P.

Slipknot
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Paul, raise some rabbits, then you will have plenty of pellets :poke: :hidin:

Slingah
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Paul..there is a place in Abington I saw with a sign reading....PELLETS....NO STOVES.....probaly doing the same thing....I acually think it was Anderson Insulation......

ProfessorM
09-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Matt I will look into it.

Raven
09-27-2006, 06:53 PM
how much weight is in that bag for 5.69 ?

BigBo
09-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Paul..there is a place in Abington I saw with a sign reading....PELLETS....NO STOVES.....probaly doing the same thing....I acually think it was Anderson Insulation......
Route 123 right across from Wal-Mart. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the fireplace shop right there next to Anderson Insulation.

BigBo
09-27-2006, 07:19 PM
how much weight is in that bag for 5.69 ?
Bags are typically 40lbs.

The Dad Fisherman
09-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Man did the price of those go up quick....2 years ago I was getting them for $2.50 a bag.

Still like it better than a wood stove though....a lot less fuss

ProfessorM
09-28-2006, 08:53 AM
The place in lakeville is C&S pellet fuels. He is selling a metric ton, 60 bags, for 339.00. 5.65 a bag. Not a great deal but a little cheaper and he has stock. He delivers for a fee, 10 bucks for me as I am close. He prefers to sell a whole pallet, a ton, which is shrink wrappped and undisturbed right from the factory so you can store outside. If you re interested I got the number. PM me. Looks like the best deal I have found so far. Paul

slapshot
09-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Do you guys have Agways that way? They sell by the ton here in CT for 259

ProfessorM
09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Yes we do. I will look into it. The guy also told me he might be getting another product from NE pellet which will be the same thing as the metric ton stuff but sold by the us ton of 5o bags for 283.00. You have to make sure of the quality of the pellet. Like if they use hardwoods for the pellets and the BTU's you get per pound. There are alot of inferior products out there that use soft woods as fillers. Also produce a lot of ash too. I will look into though. Thanks P.

Raven
09-28-2006, 09:19 AM
i'm sorta looking for an easier way or alternate kindling material to get my round 30" oak logs started...on occasion

i presently use wood charcoal if i have no kindling handy....but thats like 5 bucks per charcoal bag.

this is for the dead of winter or hard-rain, blizzard maximum survival days.

of course they're saying
..............................we'll have an easy winter....2006/2007 :rotf3:

Diamond Tackle
09-28-2006, 09:28 AM
This is exactly why I will NOT be buying a pellet stove, this just turns me off completely. These pellets are made from comressed sawdust ? are they not? , in other words the WASTE product. And it just burns me to know that someone in the middle is making a killing. No better than the oil companies if you asked me. Im looking for a fireplace Insert, and it definitely wont be one for pellets based on what I am reading, no matter how convenient they are. I guess I will lug the wood myself, its good excersise anyway, plus I can get free wood many times anyway.The tree service guys around here have to PAY to get rid of it, pretty ironic.

ProfessorM
09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes pellets have gotted very expensive and I would not buy a stove either. I also burn wood. I got mine for free from a family member. They just didn't allow for how the pellet stove buissness was going to take off. They can't produce enough pellets to supply all the stoves, but they are building the manufacturing facilities as fast as they can. Sounds sort of like the oil buissness doesn't it. Not enough refineries. They learned well. Hopefully in the future there will be more competition and prices will fall.
Raven I think it would work, worth a try anyway. You just need to get the jelly type starter fluid that you put on pellets to get them going, like starter fluid. I just use pine to start my fires. People always are trying to get rid of it and I find it to work perfect. I have a cord of pine and I just use it for starting the wood stove. P.

Raven
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
i can usually just take a walk and get kindling PM
but if its pouring rain...i might want to have
and alternative fuel to start my logs
when my kindling is wet...

great idea on the starter jelly
prolly doesnt stink....eh?

Karl F
10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Kindling.. scrounge job sites, (ask first), middle school wood shop trash barrels.. (usually can make a deal with the teacher :D), also look for shops that have a pile of pallets.. most time says "free".. a little time with the hammer, nail pik, & table saw.. nise pile of dry kindling.. or maybe ya know a cabinet or box maker :)

I'd be leary of wood from pine trees (not kiln dried lumber scraps).. unless it had sat and seasoned for at least three years, and that's cut and split first.. that crap can build up creosote real quick.

I make sure I got plenty on hand, boxed and in the basement, well before heating season starts.. keep your wood covered (top it with a tarp) outside, and keep an emergency stash in the cellar too...

looked at pellet stoves once.. just couldn't buy into the idea of it.
anytime you have to buy something that is processed.. there goes the economy of it.

Swimmer
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Professor, did you ever give any thought to corn?

ProfessorM
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Yes I have and would like to try it. I just need to get some to try it. I understand storing the corn can be a pain because of mice though. I guess that is what cats are for. Have you given it a go. P.

MAC
10-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Pellets have gone thru the roof for sure. But then again so has firewood. I had 2 cord dropped in my driveway yesterday. 500 clams. Last year I paid 300 for the same size pile.:wall:

lurch
10-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Pellets have gone thru the roof for sure. But then again so has firewood. I had 2 cord dropped in my driveway yesterday. 500 clams. Last year I paid 300 for the same size pile.:wall:

with the price of oil dropping the wood and pellets will be much cheaper soon. Why would someone use wood and pellets when oil might be cheaper. It is nice to have a second heating source.

I am hoping that the pellets and stoves will drop so I can have one installed when the prices are low. I will then fill the basement with pellets when they are cheaper.