View Full Version : van staal/repair

jim sylvester
09-25-2006, 12:22 PM
1 week ago, setting the hook on a fish I snapped my anti-reversie on my vs200

called Dan "the man" at van staal, explained the situation to him

His exact words were...not a good time for this to happen as the fall run is starting for you guys in RI

told me to send it back to his attention

5 days after sending the reel OUT to van staal, already back at my house

customer service there is incredible, as always

reel had normal wear and tear on Some parts that Dan took care of as well....................a total of 43 parts..........NO CHARGE

like people say, you get what you pay for

just a reminder for people that just got a vs this year....make sure you send in your reel for annual service as this would not have been covered

THANKS AGAIN VAN STAAL

:thanks:

JFigliuolo
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
nice to hear Jim... I'd be more than a little nervous busting my reel this time of year. Well anytime actually :usd:

RIROCKHOUND
09-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Yup..
8 day turn around counting the weekend for me last week... busted out the penns for a while...

fishpoopoo
09-25-2006, 12:41 PM
and the turnaround would have been one day if you were fishing with a penn 706

jim sylvester
09-25-2006, 12:44 PM
I must say Ben,
thats pretty quick

i think it was 1 day of repair for van staal also...2nd day air to get it there and 2nd day to get it back

a company that quick you have to be impressed with, whether its VS or penn

fishpoopoo
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
i'll be impressed when van zebco comes out with a user serviceable reel and stops wasting valuable r&d and production efforts on fugly bailed models.

piemma
09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
gee, back a week and already ingratiating ones self on the Van Staal masses. Ben, I think you just like to pi$$ everone off.

fishpoopoo
09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
spend $700 or more on a spinning reel, and then $40/yr thereafter.

see how you feel when it becomes an expensive paperweight at the worst possible time.

fishaholic18
09-25-2006, 02:37 PM

see how you feel when it becomes an expensive paperweight at the worst possible time.
I must be lucky..Beat the piss outa mine and still tickin'..Yeah, I'd be :mad: is I had a prob. with it after spending all that $$$$:realmad:

Mike P
09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
You'd be more pissed if you spent 900 clams on an Accurate Twin Spin and had to send it back twice in a season and a half for a new handle bushing--like one of the Canal guys I know ;)

piemma
09-25-2006, 04:17 PM

I have a VS 250 and I have beat the sh%^$#t out of it. Had one problem in 2 years and I use to spend 100 nights in the water. BTW, they fixed the problem back and forth in one week for n/c. I still think it's the best reel on the market if you spend a lot of time on the water, sand, rocks, etc. Just my opinion

tattoobob
09-25-2006, 04:25 PM

I am sorry you feel that way, I have my share of penns and love them
But My Van Staal is the best reel I ever used, I bought it used and they
have stood by the warrantee I sent it in like the rep said and they replaced
about 50 parts for 36 dollars, that is short money

nightfighter
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
So what's the deal for someone (me) who bought a VS200 off the classifieds? Do I just send it in after the fall run? Where? What $$ to expect for this maintenance? Bo I need paperwork?

jim sylvester
09-25-2006, 07:08 PM
vanstaal.com

Pete_G
09-25-2006, 08:01 PM
The surf likes to break stuff, no matter what it costs or what it's built of.

It's the nature of the enviroment we like to fish in. It's better to accept the fact that pretty much nothing is bullet proof in the surf. Someone or something will always break ANY reel if given enough time and oppurtunity.

Accepting that fact saves me plenty of grumpage if something breaks.

Pete_G
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
So what's the deal for someone (me) who bought a VS200 off the classifieds? Do I just send it in after the fall run? Where? What $$ to expect for this maintenance? Bo I need paperwork?

Just print the return form off their website and send it in. It's possible you are going to get whacked the first time in but then you'll be under warranty from their out as long as you send it in yearly. Very tough to predict what the cost will be.

You better hope it's not one of the old reels with the stainless center shaft though, issues with that generation of reels (they're from the Connecticut Van Staal) can get expensive. It's better to stick with the Ti center shaft reels.

maddog2020
09-25-2006, 08:08 PM
jim sylvester & piemma: couple of questions for both of ya:

Were you the original registered owner?

How old was your reel?

I hear lots of great stories about VS. Unfortunately I know of some that weren't quite as good of an outcome. :( These aren't stories - I have facts.

thanks,

fishpoopoo
09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
:jester:

PoPin Plug
09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
cool, did you still get the fish? lol

tattoobob
09-25-2006, 08:17 PM

There is a paper you need here it is, I also looked up Craigs Cantelmo's phone number 631-734-2251 he is the Feild Sales Manager you meet him at all the fishing shows really nice guy.

nightfighter
09-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Jim, Pete, and Bob, thanks. Annual service done in Tulsa only?

tattoobob
09-25-2006, 08:26 PM
As far as I know, yes

Oh and do yourself a favor and send it in before January. you will get it in 2 weeks if you wait it could be up to 2 months

gone fishin
09-25-2006, 08:46 PM
How the hell did you screw that reel up setting the hook? Must have 100 lb. test line and one huge pair of biceps!!:tm:

maddog2020
09-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Keep in mind if you have the older style w/ the interior counter weight they WILL change the shaft & gear out to the newer titanium nitride one and it WILL cost you more $. You can't take off the side plate on those either - strap wrench .... that is a joke. Doesn't work on a reel that hasnt been service. Some special tool that attaches and needs a couple of tons for force to open it.

NOTE: they don't need to contact you if the fee is below $200. Guess how much the new shaft, gear & other std parts come out to $180. In fact when the shaft came back it was BENT intensionally so it couldn't be re-used. I heard that at one point some of the "black" colored shafts were nickle coated and created even MORE problems = supposely very few of those show up now.

I'm still waiting to hear from those other two to see if they were original owners or not.

When you buy an "used" older style reel w/ interior counterweight that hasn't been service so it has newer parts - be aware of the $$ it WILL cost you. I'm not making this up.

My terminology many not be correct: what I call the shaft is the piece joints the spool to the body of the reel - piece that goes up and down. Feel like THE SHAFT when that $180 comes up on some ones CC. :(

The idea that they FORCE you to make your older style reel more current since you aren't the original owner and charge you $180 just isn't right. I haven't any idea what would have happened if I was the original owner all along and sent it in for annual service IF I would have been charged the parts.

Those of you who were fortunate to get it for FREE - PLEASE post your specifics of being original owner and whether or not you always had sent it in for service.

Buddy if mine has a few VS's - never sent one in for service... fishes them MORE in a yr than a regular person would in a decade. He just keeps filling it w/ oil & grease. He has a maintenance kit he purchased but has never used a part from it. All of his reels have the hex on the side plate and can be opened w/ service wrench.

maddog2020
09-26-2006, 06:44 AM
FWW = Ben: Dude u are crazy & funny at times. Your BS doesn't bother me.... just hard to keep track of your username. ;)

Good to be different otherwise the world would be a boring place.

Oh - those of you who haven't checked out one of mikecc's Quarrow Tiderunners - u really need to..... a lot of rod at any price. Use the left over to buy a Shimano Spheros or Stradic. :D

RIROCKHOUND
09-26-2006, 08:32 AM
4 seasons of hard use..
it is scratched, nicked and dinged...
but it catches and holds up..
one minor problem with the handle knob and they reserviced the whole reel for nada.. 8 day turn around and I sent it on a thursday so they got it the following monday...

I stand by them.. yeah Penns are easier to work on and get parts for.. but did I mention I rarely if EVER rinse my gear :D

JFigliuolo
09-26-2006, 08:33 AM
I ALWAYS rinse my VS... Whenever it rains :rotf2:

tattoobob
09-26-2006, 08:34 AM
My gear gets rinsed if it rains out, and maybe at the end of the season, I love the fact that if sand gets in you dunk it and turn the handle problem gone, with out taking it apart

jim sylvester
09-26-2006, 08:36 AM
cool, did you still get the fish? lol

still landed the fish....a fat 40" 29#

a little different fight when the anti-reverse is gone

decksweeper was with me and was saying to himself what the #&*$ is he doing reeling backwards

JFigliuolo
09-26-2006, 08:38 AM
still landed the fish....a fat 40" 29#

a little different fight when the anti-reverse is gone

decksweeper was with me and was saying to himself what the #&*$ is he doing reeling backwards

Some old timers SWEAR by a reel that can real backwards... It can be VERY usefull at times.

jim sylvester
09-26-2006, 08:40 AM

How old was your reel?

I hear lots of great stories about VS. Unfortunately I know of some that weren't quite as good of an outcome. :( These aren't stories - I have facts.

thanks,

original owner

3 years old

beat to hell

looks like they even polished it because some of the real surface scrathes are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishpoopoo
09-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Good to be different otherwise the world would be a boring place.

c'mon man, it's a VS thread.

SOMEBODY has to bash it. :hihi:

tattoobob
09-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Mine was bought used and has the counter weight inside, I was only charged the 36.95 for the first time I sent it in, and they replaced about 40 parts and sent it back like new

nightprowler
09-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Keep in mind if you have the older style w/ the interior counter weight they WILL change the shaft & gear out to the newer titanium nitride one and it WILL cost you more $. You can't take off the side plate on those either - strap wrench .... that is a joke. Doesn't work on a reel that hasnt been service. Some special tool that attaches and needs a couple of tons for force to open it.

NOTE: they don't need to contact you if the fee is below $200. Guess how much the new shaft, gear & other std parts come out to $180. In fact when the shaft came back it was BENT intensionally so it couldn't be re-used. I heard that at one point some of the "black" colored shafts were nickle coated and created even MORE problems = supposely very few of those show up now.

I'm still waiting to hear from those other two to see if they were original owners or not.

When you buy an "used" older style reel w/ interior counterweight that hasn't been service so it has newer parts - be aware of the $$ it WILL cost you. I'm not making this up.

My terminology many not be correct: what I call the shaft is the piece joints the spool to the body of the reel - piece that goes up and down. Feel like THE SHAFT when that $180 comes up on some ones CC. :(

The idea that they FORCE you to make your older style reel more current since you aren't the original owner and charge you $180 just isn't right. I haven't any idea what would have happened if I was the original owner all along and sent it in for annual service IF I would have been charged the parts.

Those of you who were fortunate to get it for FREE - PLEASE post your specifics of being original owner and whether or not you always had sent it in for service.

Buddy if mine has a few VS's - never sent one in for service... fishes them MORE in a yr than a regular person would in a decade. He just keeps filling it w/ oil & grease. He has a maintenance kit he purchased but has never used a part from it. All of his reels have the hex on the side plate and can be opened w/ service wrench.

I had this happen to me, sent it in, and paid about $180 for the service. I was a bit peeved that when i spoke with him on the phone he said he would contact me if it was going to be over the 36 fee. but it wouldn't have really mattered, its not like i wasn't going to have the service done.
i noticed the other night while i was out, that there is a white grease that is building up where the shaft comes out of the main body. i called and left messeges twice and haven't heard back from them.
I have still been fishing with the reel and landing fish without problems, im just curious what the reel looks like on the inside...if there is grease coming out there must be water and sand gettin in!:blush:

Mike P
09-26-2006, 09:30 AM
And then, there are the guys who never had a lick of trouble with their Stratford reels---that is, until they sent them into Reel Ventures or Van Quantum for service ;)

Where are ya, Jeff?

Redsoxticket
09-26-2006, 10:04 AM
The VS warranty was lifetime, now it is limited to only one year.

http://www.vanstaal.com/Warranty.html

maddog2020
09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
jim sylvester & piemma & RIrockhound :

How old was your reel?

I posted something farther up as well. ;)

thanks

maddog2020
09-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, tattoobob - I wish I had that experience w/ VS. ;) When did you service it - month & yr?

nightprowler - we must be in the SAME sinking boat..... lol. There is always a little lube coming out the fron seat below the spool - where there isn't any that is when you need to be concerned!

FWW - DOooooooooh - VS bashing. I forgot about that.

Give me to the end of the week before I post something else. ;)

I got no beef w/ any one if they are up front & HONEST w/ me. I had called and was told "oh, that shaft was fine (ss one)". There is NO WAY that shaft was bent by me OR USPS when it was sent it - the box would have to been destroyed. They bent it and I have to pay for a not needed upgrade IMHO. How could you send back a staight shaft to some one and say it needed to be replaced, right?! Don't get me going..... lol.

jim sylvester
09-26-2006, 03:59 PM
jim sylvester & piemma & RIrockhound :

How old was your reel?

I posted something farther up as well. ;)

thanks

mad dog

look at post # 31

RIROCKHOUND
09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
original owner

looks like they even polished it because some of the real surface scrathes are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim I thought that as well.. maybe they just wiped it down or something... too much TLC for my taste if they did :jump:
I'll be on the dark side of the moon tonight... tight lines

jim sylvester
09-26-2006, 04:25 PM
bryan,
i must say....I can shave in the reflection off this thing......can't wait to drag it across a couple of rocks

tomorrow-sunday for me

RIROCKHOUND
09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
OK. I'll keep eyes peeled

Maddog;
Nope, Ebay in mint when I acquired it
Annual service yearly
4 seasons 1 problem
probably 80-90 trips/yr with it rest of the time I fish convench

good luck

maddog2020
09-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Oooops Jim S.- saw that after I posted..... lol.

Shave off the thing?! You must have the silver. :D

Mine are black...... different shades of black.

piemma
09-26-2006, 05:38 PM

How old was your reel?

thanks,
Mine was new. Wife and kids chipped in and bought it for me for Xmas 2 years ago.

maddog2020
09-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Was the warranty card empty on that mint one off Ebay, Brian/RIRH?

Being the original owner seems to be a good thing. ;)

I know some people use the reels and never send in the card.

RIROCKHOUND
09-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Never sent it in with a card, just sent it. Dont think the original owner ever registered it/fished it
Jim.. Slow... back out tonight....

jim sylvester
09-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Never sent it in with a card, just sent it. Dont think the original owner ever registered it/fished it
Jim.. Slow... back out tonight....

maddog (woof woof)
if you are the original owner...send in the card...that way your covered

If you purchase it used and the card is not filled out....send it in without the card like bryan did...you may get lucky..
overall, the people at van staal are good people and want to help because they know the sickness we have...and the money we spend

bryan...say it aint so
I'll be out tonight...come find me

RIROCKHOUND
09-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Dink-fest... I HATE catching dinks and losing eels... worse than losing eels to bluefish!
I'll keep an eye out...

VS people have been very good to me and very easy to deal with both on the phone and emails... :huh:
just one guys experience

tattoobob
09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
The VS warranty was lifetime, now it is limited to only one year.

http://www.vanstaal.com/Warranty.html

It is limited to 1 yr. if you don't have the yearly service done

tattoobob
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Maddog, the only thing I can think of is the guy who owned it before me had to pay for the replacement?

maddog2020
09-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Sorry - I was out fishing for once. ;)

I ran into several guys toting VS 150's just at about sunset - first time I have seen THAT many guys fishing them ..... lol. Must be a good spot. :) Lots of bait in the water - bunch of schoolies for the most part. That any one here: Gloucester/Rockport area ~5:45pm?

Ok, I know the next person who gets this older style 150 isn't going to NEED that many parts. ;)

Dan @ VS customer service is great - nice guy to chat with. The new gal is being trained and will replace Dan (suppose to retire w/in the next yr). I'll find out today around noon how things go. ;)

striperondafly
09-28-2006, 03:51 AM
I have a problem with mine - its in the bottom of Barnegat Inlet :conf: :crying:

dredey
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
i sent mine in yesterday. the clock is ticking.....

vanstaal
09-29-2006, 03:24 AM
I sent my VS out overnight was there @ 645 the next day i recived it back Fri am @ 930am that is service with a bunch of new parts inside.
39 hours turnaround time wow!

maddog2020
09-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Greeeeeeez - I must smell. :(

What time of month was that vanstall?

Hopefully my reel will be here today - expected it YESTERDAY (it was more like Sept 13). Mind as well have been a Friday the 13th..... lol.

vanstaal
09-29-2006, 07:28 AM
the begining of this month i had call them first and the told me to overnight it cost 85.00 with insurance.

maddog2020
09-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Ah, OK - you left out the $80 part .... LOL.

Looks like I'll be using something else this weekend. :(

Some problems occured. Van Staal IS trying to become better w/ their service record. Many great stories of them going out of their way to help us and I am going to let them learn from their errors and improve. I voiced my opinion about things to Dan and have to have faith that they won't happen again.

I could bash them, but why?! I can't take another reel out in the surf and get soaked silly and just keep using it as it is w/out rinsing it off. :)

There is always the Daiwa Saltiga & Zeebass to try next if all fails. ;)

vanstaal
09-29-2006, 04:57 PM
I could use a handle 300 gold does anybody have one ?