View Full Version : fhackeh aye

Nebe
09-27-2006, 02:40 PM
took a friend out on the mako this am and she died on me. :gf:

chasing albies along a rocky coast. was about 3o feet from shore and i cut the engine as to not spook the fish- cast for a bit... went to turn her back on and nothing- engine wouldnt turn over- battry is good- me thinks its the ignition switch.
luckily some cool gents towed us back to the ramp :thanks:
i knew it was too good to be true... she was runninglike a top :smash:

RIROCKHOUND
09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Hey slacker.. your definition of early and my definition of early are very different :D:D:D

Went by the ramp to freshen up my eels and no Eben... the sun was already up by then bub :D:D:D

fishaholic18
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Anything clicking when ya bump the key? Poss. starter drive locked up, hammer fixes that. If no clickin', check for power to starter sol. when switch is in start poss. first..

Nebe
09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey slacker.. your definition of early and my definition of early are very different :D:D:D

Went by the ramp to freshen up my eels and no Eben... the sun was already up by then bub :D:D:D

haha ya got me- not that early :hihi:

Nebe
09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Anything clicking when ya bump the key? Poss. starter drive locked up, hammer fixes that. If no clickin', check for power to starter sol. when switch is in start poss. first..

I checked for that tell tale click- nothing. I dont own a multi tester, but am going to get one tomorrow- i didnt think to check for power at the starter, so thanks for that tip..

gottta love 30 year old wireing :(

RIROCKHOUND
09-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I've got one you could borrow.

Bill L
09-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I told you to get Sea Tow :rtfm: :hihi:

I suppose you checked the safetly lanyard/kill switch, and the battery connections??

Roger
09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Did you check to be sure your throttle/shift lever was in neutral?

FWIW, if you were near the albies, leaving the motor running won't spook the fish, shutting it down will.

Nebe
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Did you check to be sure your throttle/shift lever was in neutral?

good god man... i grew up on boats. dont insult me :wave:

fixed the problem- following F-18's advice i checked out the wires going to the starter and bingo- the nut holding the red wire had come undone and the wire was loose... tightened it and she purred like a kitten

thanks Dave! :kewl:

Roger
09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I grew up on boats too, yet I spent an hour recently trying to find that problem. Sometimes I'm not to smat.

Nebe
09-27-2006, 05:39 PM
too funny. here is my confession- the day i brought the boat home i tried to start her up and get a feel for the engine- turned the key over and over and it wouldnt fire- it turned out that i had done what Toonoc suggested - the emergency kill switch was disengaged.. so no spark- flooded the engine, fouled the plugs.. once i figured out what i had did, all i had to do was pull the plugs and hit them with a torch to clean off the oil.

live and learn.

I'll save the story of my first solo trip to the boat ramp for some comic releif this winter :rotf3:

fishaholic18
09-27-2006, 05:58 PM

fixed the problem- following F-18's advice i checked out the wires going to the starter and bingo- the nut holding the red wire had come undone and the wire was loose... tightened it and she purred like a kitten

:kewl:

spence
09-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Yea, but they were all sailboats :laugha:

-spence

danno1
09-27-2006, 07:09 PM
BTW, what size and year Mako ?

Nebe
09-27-2006, 07:49 PM
danno, its a 1971 mako 19. engine is a 1989 evinrude 110. slightly waterlogged hull... transom is solid.. it floats :hihi:

Starfish
09-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Guess I'm not goin for a ride for a while huh?:tm:

Nebe
09-28-2006, 09:25 AM
sweetie, its fixed :love:

Starfish
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
:smash: :rotf2:

Van
09-28-2006, 11:18 AM

Good deal, I also know what a relief it is when I can fix it myself and get her back in the water again...:wiggle: