View Full Version : question

thefishingfreak
09-28-2006, 08:06 PM
can i access the files on my pc from the laptop in the other room?
ie: 1000's of pictures, e-mail, etc??
sick of running back and forth :bo:
i have wireless connection on the laptop.

tattoobob
09-28-2006, 08:09 PM
short answer No

thefishingfreak
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
DOhhhh...
thanks..

EricW
09-28-2006, 09:36 PM
since you have wireless on your laptop, is it safe to assume you have a router and that the pc is connected to it? If so you could set up a directory or several as shared and navigate to them with your laptop. Then again, since you have wireless, you may be opening up your PC to the outside world, unless your router is set up securely, and it is debatable as to whether it is ever secure.
But if you do have a router and a home network it is relatively easy to set up a shared directory. I do it all the time at home but I don't have wireless. You can also do a search on google for windows file sharing. XP pro does it better than home and win 98 and 2000 are easier. It seems like a lot of details, but it really isn't all that bad to set up.
Here is a link that explains the basics.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

The file sharing gives you access to specific directories on the PC. If you want email, or other programs on the pc you could use remote desktop sharing or netmeeting, or other remote control programs. This gets a little deep, but is doable and can be fun to learn.

Eric

thefishingfreak
09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
kool thanks,

Raven
09-30-2006, 04:35 AM
to have a poiliceman's association bennifit decal on your left side window.

BigBo
09-30-2006, 06:02 AM
to have a poiliceman's association bennifit decal on your left side window.
To remotely access your files from another comp?:usd: :uhoh: :laugha:

MrHunters
10-01-2006, 04:49 PM
check out

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416906769&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

with a usb hard drive... never have to worry about running again

BottomBouncer
10-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Another option would be to use Remote Desktop Connection to take control of the PC from your laptop. You will need to right click on the my computer icon on the desktop and go to properties once there go to the remote tab and enable remote control. Then open a command prompt. The easiest way is to go to START then in the RUN box type CMD hit enter. Once you have the blsck (command prompt) screen typr in ipconfig/all write down the ip address given.

On the laptop go to START --> Programs --> Accesories--> Communications--> Remote Desktop Connection, in this area where it says computer put in the IP address you wrote down from the other PC then hit connect. That should do it.

Good Luck

RockLobsta
10-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Yes you can with no problem......I'll stop by after work next week if you want........

pm me..

MilfordMaWx
10-14-2006, 07:04 PM
can i access the files on my pc from the laptop in the other room?
ie: 1000's of pictures, e-mail, etc??
sick of running back and forth :bo:
i have wireless connection on the laptop.

Actually there are numerous ways you can do this. Guessing that your running through the same router and using XP you can go to "Connect to" from the start menu and "Set up home or small office network". If my assumptions are not true there are other ways also...