View Full Version : Do you know campers?

reebok
09-29-2006, 03:25 PM
There's a 1968 Airstream Ambassador Land Yacht for sale in my neighborhood. It's one of those big silver jobs. Sign says one owner, everything original and works. I don't think it's been moved in years. It looks good but there are things here and there.

Should I be interested? They are asking $4500 obo. Is there anything about a vintage Airstream that's a "find" or something like that?

I might lowball. What would a steal be for something like this? I'd guess it's 20' or a little longer.

Thanks

Karl F
09-29-2006, 05:59 PM
check out vintageairstream.com, and vintageairstream.net
older Airstreams, well, like all older campers have their issues.
the thing that would bother me the most, is the fact that it has not been moved in a while.
a camper that sits, with no use, has it's own set of issues. wheel bearings, tire rot, etc, and appliances that might not run right, due to sitting. also, the plumbing, if it has not been winterized and put up in storage mode, might have some larger issues.
if it has been used on a site, that is one thing, but sitting in storage, especially on a grassy are, not good.. might have occupants, that will chew the wires and stuff.
$4500 for a 1968.. he will find a buyer, prolly an Airstream junkie :)

tattoobob
09-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Karl hit it right, I would look somewhere else
if you are going to spend that kind of money
you should beable to get something newer and
in better condition

Jenn
09-30-2006, 11:56 AM
If its an airstream you want (and are prepared to fix up an older one) than I would pay that price. "Airstream Junkies" will scoop it up I am sure.

If its a camper you want to hook up to now and start using this weekend....I doubt this is the one for you.

If its a newer camper you look at (or anyone camper for that matter) look everywhere for water damage!!! I cant tell you how many 1999-2003 Campers that we looked at that had water damage....:huh:

reebok
10-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Thank you everyone for the informative advice. This place rocks!