View Full Version : any tips on north river mouth from shore?

MikeTLive
10-06-2006, 07:23 PM
just got my tin boat in the water last weekend.
found my way out to the spit and looked at the cross currents and whitewater and said ... "Self!... you should learn to fish here!"

so, any tips for fishing from shore into the mouth of the north river from the scituiate sand spit?

Raider Ronnie
10-06-2006, 07:45 PM
just got my tin boat in the water last weekend.
found my way out to the spit and looked at the cross currents and whitewater and said ... "Self!... you should learn to fish here!"

so, any tips for fishing from shore into the mouth of the north river from the scituiate sand spit?

I thought you just posted that boat fish don't count !!!:smash:

MikeTLive
10-06-2006, 07:49 PM
I thought you just posted that boat fish don't count !!!:smash:

I will revisit that if I ever do catch anything :laugha:
and I would hardly call the sears special a boat.

but I am looking for tips from shore into the mouth.
no flippin way am I gonna try to navibate that maelstrom.

Moses
10-07-2006, 05:53 AM
MikeT:

My brother and I have fished that spot quite a few times. Be very careful as the tide really moves there. I always wear a PFD. I typically fish that spot on an outgoing, close to low. The green can right across the middle of the spit is a good spot. Great place for tossing eels and letting the current do it's thing.

Slingah
10-07-2006, 05:57 AM
no fish there......or anywhere around there.....not for years....

Moses
10-07-2006, 06:20 AM
no fish there......or anywhere around there.....not for years....

Good one......:laughs:

BigFish
10-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Its barren there! Slingah is quite correct! Lots of fish in Rhody!:huh:

reelecstasy
10-07-2006, 07:58 AM
no flippin way am I gonna try to navibate that maelstrom.
Oh come on, I "pleasure" ride my Kayak around there, nuttin to it. I don't bring a rod because there are no fish there, all the fish are in R.I.

BigBo
10-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh come on, I "pleasure" ride my Kayak around there, nuttin to it. I don't bring a rod because there are no fish there, all the fish are in R.I.
It can be a nice place for a pleasure ride, but the mouth has taken many lives over the years. I've navigated that mouth for many years. Even in 12' breaking over the top.:eek5:

crash
10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Please be careful, n-ne winds and outgoing tide turn into a giant standing wave. I almost capsized my whaler skiff there.

MikeTLive
10-07-2006, 09:58 PM
thats why I motor up the herring brook from driftway.
I then pulled the boat up onto the sand spit..
since its a little aluminum rowboat I could carry it up and over if need be.

MarshCappa
10-08-2006, 08:12 AM
One of my favorite trips this year was on the North River with my step daughter(9) and my uncle in law. He brought his inflatable tender and we drifted up and down using sea worms. We caught almost a dozen fish in almost 2hrs. This was my step daughters 1st bass of her life and she was having so much fun. I quote"I don't want this to ever end" No keepers but it was great seeing her fight the schoolies on LT.

basswipe
10-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Lots of fish in Rhody!:huh:

They're gone for the year.Nuthin here.:angel:

striprman
10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
One of my favorite trips this year was on the North River with my step daughter(9) and my uncle in law. He brought his inflatable tender and we drifted up and down using sea worms. We caught almost a dozen fish in almost 2hrs. This was my step daughters 1st bass of her life and she was having so much fun. I quote"I don't want this to ever end" No keepers but it was great seeing her fight the schoolies on LT.

Thats a front page picture if I ever saw one

MikeTLive
10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
... drifted up and down using sea worms.
how did you rig them and fish thm?
I am finding that I dont know what the heck I am doing.

MarshCappa
10-08-2006, 03:35 PM
how did you rig them and fish thm?
I am finding that I dont know what the heck I am doing.

I've only fished the North River a few times and every time I rigged worms on light 10lb line with small hooks right thru their pincers and let them drift around in the current(which is pretty fast there). We let out about 20-30 yards and hooked up often. I found the outgoing tide is best but dont get out font in the mouth. I can't emphasize that enough. It could be the last fishing trip you ever have. I've also seen guys live lining eel's with good results. i've never fished that way but lots of guys on this site do so I'm sure you could learn how to do that with no problem. Not sure if the North River is still holding anything right now though with this fall run goin on. Good be the end of the season there.

MarshCappa
10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Thats a front page picture if I ever saw one

She's a Keeper!