View Full Version : Have you ever ?

Tagger
10-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Attempted to make a rod thats both spinning and conventional ? 2 sets of guides ,,2 seats .. I have a blank I like thats 2 pc. I like the spinning best for working a small spook I have . When my trigger finger gets whimpy I wish I had my conventional . I remember the old bamboo surf rods with double guides you could switch reel around when the rod started developing a set . just curious if its been done .

Mike P
10-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't build rods, but I think having guides on both sides of the blank would put a lot of unnecessary strain on it :huh:

I think a better soloution would be to use oversized, low frame BNOG aluminum oxide casting guides as the first and second guides, then go with Hardaloys the rest of the way. I think Fuji makes the BNOGs up to 50 mm (I know they make a 40 mm). This would allow you to use a spinning reel with a long, shallow spool. And Lamiglas still makes some of their factory spinning rods with BNOG casting guides on them all the way up. Conoflex also makes what they call "dual rung" rods that can be used interchangeably between spinning and conventional, but I don't know what guides they use.

I also think placing guides on versus opposite the spline is overrated. As long as they're on or directly opposite, I don't think you'd have any worries about twisting under a load.

Tagger
10-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't build rods, but I think having guides on both sides of the blank would put a lot of unnecessary strain on it :huh:

I think a better soloution would be to use oversized, low frame BNOG aluminum oxide casting guides as the first and second guides, then go with Hardaloys the rest of the way. I think Fuji makes the BNOGs up to 50 mm (I know they make a 40 mm). This would allow you to use a spinning reel with a long, shallow spool. And Lamiglas still makes some of their factory spinning rods with BNOG casting guides on them all the way up. Conoflex also makes what they call "dual rung" rods that can be used interchangeably between spinning and conventional, but I don't know what guides they use.

I also think placing guides on versus opposite the spline is overrated. As long as they're on or directly opposite, I don't think you'd have any worries about twisting under a load.

Yea... was thinking some more about that .. The guides opposite each other would produce some major flat spot areas.. I think I better get out of here .. go make a plug maybe ..

ReelinRod
10-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Your best bet is to wrap with Fuji LC series and use braid on the spinner. You would need to do some static testing for your conventional placement (and maybe add a guide or two) because these guides sit close to the blank (hence the name Lowriders). For spinning, the most important guide is the first (gatherer) and you will need to do some test casting to refine it's placement. The gatherer guide can be a 20 or a 16.

If distance is not a primary concern for the spinner then the 16 will be fine. The gatherer is wrapped "reversed', this eliminates looping the guide when casting.

I use these Fuji SiC Lowriders on all my distance fishing and heaver set-ups (all spinning, with 20mm gatherers) and will never go back to larger guides.

http://home.comcast.net/~surffishibsp/fishin/ngc6_3_0006.jpg

Daiwa is just intoducing a new (for the USA) series of dual-purpose rods with LC lowriders (Saltiga Ballistic Surf). Their retail is around 400 clams. This rod is just getting into the hands of the guys down Cape Point in Hatteras . . . some are saying they may never pick up their 1502 Lami's again.

SeaWolf
10-11-2006, 08:25 AM
why would you even want to built one rod w/ 2 sets of guides and 2 reel seats? you would add a lot of unnecessary weight. try finding that rod tip. you would be better off building one rod for each purpose - spin and cast.

Saltheart
10-11-2006, 09:10 AM
If you go with a no trigger seat and use a concept layout for the guides , you ought to be able to figure out a spacing that works pretty well for either a spinner or a canventional. one set of guides laid out to be OK for either, not optimized for either but OK.

Tagger
10-14-2006, 08:21 PM
why would you even want to built one rod w/ 2 sets of guides and 2 reel seats? you would add a lot of unnecessary weight. try finding that rod tip. you would be better off building one rod for each purpose - spin and cast.

Dual purpose for hiking beaches .. won't carry 2 rods , but don't mind another reel in the backpack . I like throwing conventional, thats my preference ,,but throwing a small plug into the wind spinning is my prefference . Thank you all for your thoughts . Hi Saltheart ..

riarcher
10-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Always been into weird stuff.
Know what you mean with the bamboo double guided rod, had one. Never used it,, but found it interesting none the less. Remember the tip was a large diameter and centered over the blank's tip. That would probably be the hardest thing to find now days.
Would think if you used single foot guides, spaced accordingly for each on opposite sides you'd at least have a "conversation" pc. :humpty:
Reel seat couldbe the plate style, set on opposite sides. Or if you like the "Low Butt" tourney casting style, you could keep both reels on the rod at the same time (hi/lo).
Suspect you'd only be able to have one side rigged and ready at a time.
About the weirdest I've done to date is take a 8' 6 wt. flyrod and had it converted to light spin. Found it to be most entertaining on LMB, tinker macks, scup, and snapper blues.
Then one day I was scup fishing outside the West gap and got hit by a real Bluefish,,,,,,, #[B]SNAP![B]&,,,,,,,, end of story. :cool: (split the top section for about 12") But it was fun while it lasted.

SeaWolf
10-16-2006, 08:34 AM
tagger, i understand what you want to do, but the idea is not very practical (2 sets of guides - cast/spin same rod). with the technology of braid and ceramic guides, you can do what you want by having a rod built as a caster, but use at least a size 30 guide as the catch guide and space it out as far as you can from the reel w/o the line touching the blank. then, continue building as a caster, tapering guides down to size 12s. as mentioned, put a reel seat w/o a trigger on. if you want to put the spinning reel on it, turn the rod around. the rod will be stable as the spinner as well. i would definitely tape the guides on and make several test casts to be sure you dont have line slap or wind knot problems. good luck.

Tagger
10-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Daiwa is just intoducing a new (for the USA) series of dual-purpose rods with LC lowriders (Saltiga Ballistic Surf). Their retail is around 400 clams. This rod is just getting into the hands of the guys down Cape Point in Hatteras . . . some are saying they may never pick up their 1502 Lami's again.

By daul -purpose you mean will take a conventional or a spinner .. 400 clams not alot for a rod that will do both ... I'd be very interrested ...I'll try to google it ..