View Full Version : cutting xra1203

Krispy
10-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Will cutting the tip on a 1203, say 3-4", allow a higher oz. rating?
I love the slow action of this rod, but need just a little more power to cast. Will a shorter rod also give more backbone power?
Rod would be built conventional, for large eels.

luds
10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I would just buy a gsb 1201m if you're looking for more backbone. I wouldn't want to touch the 1203. I personally think that's a great rod just how it is but agree that it doesn't throw big snakes well at all.

Krispy
10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I have the 1201m in spinning, its nice.
What Im really searching for is a soft rod that throws well and has backbone to whip fish.
I love my 1322 for everything, I need something as close to action as that and I have the 1203 laying around.
Both rods have a similar feel, if the 1203 could be "beefed up" it would be a great alt.

spence
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I've got a 1201L with 4" cut from the tip that's a lot like what you're looking for. I'd note that cutting this much will stiffen up things quite a bit. It's a great eeling rod...

Only drawback with doing this is that you won't have as much strength in the butt section as you might think.

-spence

Krispy
10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Ha, you posted @ 1204

spence
10-10-2006, 03:45 PM
That was to protest the new Lami blank ratings :)

-spence

SeaWolf
10-11-2006, 08:21 AM
krispy, i was never too fond of the old XRA1204/new XRA1203 blank as it felt too soft for most applications, but that softness could be taken advantage in just what you want to do with it, make it a rod for throwing eels. of course i am sure you know, that the second you cut a lamiglas blank, you void the warranty. as has been mentioned already, the GSB1201L is pretty close to the 1203 in power and action, but i feel the 1201L is actually a little more powerful. both blanks cut down a little make excellent eel rods, but truely feel each lack that power you really are looking for. the gsb1201m is king for throwing eels and having the power to turn fish.

Back Beach
10-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Will cutting the tip on a 1203, say 3-4", allow a higher oz. rating?
I love the slow action of this rod, but need just a little more power to cast. Will a shorter rod also give more backbone power?
Rod would be built conventional, for large eels.

Krispy,

Regardless of what people tell you here or elsewhere, cutting the tip off a rod usually F#$$s the rod up. Cutting from the butt is one thing, but the tip is usually recipe for trouble. This winter, build the 1205 ron arra, and you will be very happy with it for eels. I have one built for spinning and one conventional like we talked about. Its all I use now. Wait to see if we even have eels first. No eels next year=1088 0r 1208 spinning for pluggos or sluggos.:usd:

SeaWolf
10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Krispy,

Regardless of what people tell you here or elsewhere, cutting the tip off a rod usually F#$$s the rod up...

it depends on the rod and how much you take off the tip. some blanks you can only take off an inch or 3, others can be up to a foot or more. and how much you should cut depends on the purpose planned for that rod.

Back Beach
10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
it depends on the rod and how much you take off the tip. some blanks you can only take off an inch or 3, others can be up to a foot or more. and how much you should cut depends on the purpose planned for that rod.

I dunno Wolfman. Guess its just the way I was taught. If the blank isn't right, choose another blank that is right would be my move. I do cut the butt sections all the time though, just not tips. Don't give Krispy too many ideas, he's a freak with power tools. Frankenrod will emerge from his shop. :alien:

spence
10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm no rod expert but I do have two Lami GSB's with 4 inches off the tip of each, and love 'em both...

That being said I doubt I'd do it again ;)

-spence

SeaWolf
10-16-2006, 10:46 AM
bb - understandable. under most circumstances, i'll push a customer to a uncut, production blank as much as possible. once i cut a blank to make it more applicable to the purpose, there goes your warranty. i make that known and it's up to the customer to decide.

mikecc
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
bb - understandable. under most circumstances, i'll push a customer to a uncut, production blank as much as possible. once i cut a blank to make it more applicable to the purpose, there goes your warranty. i make that known and it's up to the customer to decide.
Your Right a cut rod has no warranty by the MFG just the builders warranty.

choggieman
10-16-2006, 11:33 AM

Now I know why you insist on nicking a coupla inches off every rod you build for me, so I have no warranty! Bastid!!:usd:

striperondafly
10-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Krispy,

Regardless of what people tell you here or elsewhere, cutting the tip off a rod usually F#$$s the rod up. Cutting from the butt is one thing, but the tip is usually recipe for trouble. This winter, build the 1205 ron arra, and you will be very happy with it for eels. I have one built for spinning and one conventional like we talked about. Its all I use now. Wait to see if we even have eels first. No eels next year=1088 0r 1208 spinning for pluggos or sluggos.:usd:

I just picked up a 1205 last weekend - it came highly recommended from a few guys I fish with. They use it for LARGE wood too - 4 oz.