View Full Version : asa tournery

devils fiddle
06-03-2002, 06:25 PM
have entered the snug harbor deal. will probably watch hill reefs sat. morn, sw ledge rest of the day. depending on how it goes might head farther east towards the vineyard and cuttyhunk. have fished a couple of these tourneys before and have had a blast, can't wait. fished watch yesterday morning for a little while things were slow. didn't have live baits.:eek:

06-04-2002, 07:42 AM
Hi Devils,
Hey best of luck to you for the tournament, I'll probably head down to Snug Harbor at 5:00 Sat to watch the weigh ins. I am sure there are some real good striped bass fisherman entering, should be some nice fish caught. Drop those herring down on the W.H. Reef. I think alot of guys are heading out to Mass waters to fish.

Scotch Bonnet
06-04-2002, 05:22 PM
BIG fish coming in from Neb shoal and out front of Charlestown. Saw a 30# come in last night and Ronnies father grabbed a 47# but he aint talkin. What are you doing this week/weekend?

06-05-2002, 07:49 AM
Scotch,
Sounds like it is heating up a bit back home ha?, I'll have to swing up that way in the next few days. PJ has been producing consistant 32"35" fish, but haven't seen anything much bigger than that in the past week or so.

Scotch Bonnet
06-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Talked to a freind who spearfishes the WH reefs(NUTS!) and last weekend he had 6 fish 33-41#s. He saw lots of big fish around them reefs.

06-10-2002, 08:21 AM
Was wondering if anyone knows what the winning fish was and which boat it came from? I was down at Snug Harbor Sat afternoon, and the largest was a 38lb taken by the Jessabel entry.

devils fiddle
06-10-2002, 10:19 AM
i beleive the winning fish was a 42 caught near watch hill by a guy from stonington. there were a couple of other 42's and a couple in the mid and low thirties. the placings from the first day basically held over into day two. the results should be posted in the providence paper today.

Scotch Bonnet
06-10-2002, 01:08 PM
1st place - 42.54 lb Bella D Highlands N.J.(2nd consecutive ASA tourney win!) parachute off SW Ledge. 2nd place - 42.43 lb Rock On Hingham Mass. mackeral off Boston Light. 3rd place - 34.18 lb Rockey's Revenge R.I. live herring east side of Block.

Team Rock On
06-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Heffernan's Bella D wins striper tourney
06/10/2002

BY TOM MEADE
Journal Sports Writer

SOUTH KINGSTOWN -- Barry Heffernan's Bella D, out of Highlands, N.J., won its second consecutive American Striper Association Tournament yesterday with a 42.54-pound fish. The winner was less than two ounces heavier than the second-place 42.43-pounder Kevin Savage landed aboard Rock On during the June Moon Madness Tournament at Snug Harbor Marina.

With Bill Strehl on the rod, Bella D caught the winning fish by trolling a parachute jig on wire line off Block Island's Southwest Light.

Out of Hingham, Mass., Savage caught the second-place fish on mackerel off Boston Light around 10 a.m. He hammered his 29-foot Fountain down to the Cape Cod Canal doing 45 knots (the boat is capable of 62 knots), before hitting 18-knot headwinds and four-foot seas in Buzzards Bay that slowed the boat to 15 knots before completing its 100-mile run to Point Judith. Saturday, with Bobb Carr on the rod, Rock On landed a 33.5-pound striper, also off Boston.

Friday, Heffernan's crew aboard the 24-foot True World Marine, Bella D, didn't weigh in a fish.

Two weeks ago, Bella D won the American Striper Association's tournament in New Jersey, and one of its crew, Pat Kaminsky of Middletown, N.J., won the women's division. Kaminsky won again yesterday.

A Rhode Island boat, Rocky's Revenge, with Rocco D'Angelo Jr. at the helm, placed third after tournament officials disqualified a Connecticut skipper for fishing before the 6:30 a.m. starting time. Fishing aboard Rock's Revenge, Joe D'Angelis landed a 34.18 pounder. Nine-year-old Brandon D'Angelo, the skipper's son, caught a 33.35-pound bass Saturday to win the junior division.

On both days of the tournament, D'Angelo fished live herring on a three-way rig with a 50-pound leader off the east side of Block Island. The current was so strong that it took 10 to 12 ounces of lead to keep the bait in the strike zone. Saturday, the 29-foot Luhrs caught several fish over 20 pounds in addition to the 33-pounder that fought Brandon for 20 minutes.

Both days produced fish that D'Angelo called average for that area.

In the Surf Division, Jon Dodd of South Kingstown fished live eels along the shore of Stonington, Conn., to catch a 25.3-pound bass, the winning fish.

Nigel Harrison of Plantation, Fla. flew into Rhode Island Thursday for an evening of practice and caught a 25-pounder at Stinky Beach in Narragansett on an eel. He returned to the spot Saturday night and took another 25-pounder for second place in the tournament.

Alex Hoxie won the Junior Surf Division with a striper weighing 14.1 pounds.

JohnR
06-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Hehehe....

T.R.O. - I thought that was you when I read the results earlier on Tom's page, hehehe.... TWO Ounces, that's gotta suck! Although nothing wrong with a 42#er :D

Looks like we had a few S-B people at the ASA/SH tourney...

Nice finish T.R.O.... :btu:

How did the rest of you do?

devils fiddle
06-10-2002, 02:29 PM
Team Devils Fiddle ended up sixth with a 29.87 caught on saturday. We lost a much larger fish on sunday but thats the way it works sometimes . Fished live bunker and herring. Caught all the larger fish trolling live bunker.
:cool:

Bill L
06-10-2002, 08:00 PM
"caught a 25-pounder at Stinky Beach in Narragansett on an eel. He returned to the spot Saturday night and took another 25-pounder for second place in the tournament. "

At least somebody caught somethin good Saturday night....

So close, why did I go to bed ? :smash:

06-11-2002, 06:56 AM
Sounded like all had a good time there. I met the 2nd place finishers Team Fountain Saturday afternoon, they all were nice guys. Some pretty impressive fish caught for sure!

Trayder
06-11-2002, 12:19 PM
We weighed in a 22.31LB fish on Sat and had a fantastic time. We fished off of the Vineyard and caught numerous fish in the 20lb range. Lots of fish everywhere. I was suprised the biggest fish weighed in was caught on an artificial. I would have placed money on the fact the winning fish would be caught by live bait.

My hat is off to the Bella D. There are some great fishermen in the southern RI area I am shocked one did not walk away with the top 2 places.

T.R.O Good to see the Fountain boys are making Chuck proud!!:cool:

Scotch Bonnet
06-11-2002, 05:28 PM
I saw a big ole Fountain pulling out of the Point sunday afternoon. Looked about 30 ft. with TRIPLE Mercs "YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS". What a boat!

Trayder
06-11-2002, 05:49 PM
"Can't Touch This" is a Fountain 38 CC. It is owned by the Fountain sales manager for the East Coast. It is a very serious CC tops out over 65Mph and can cruise in 4-5 fters @ 40mph. I had the pleasure of going aboard his older Fountain 38 CC powered the same, last year and it was, to say the least an experience. If you see that boat again and are interested speak with the gentleman aboard, he ussually wears an american flag bandana and is one heck of a good guy.:cool: