View Full Version : northshore fall run

MrHunters
10-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Now i know most of this site is way south of Gloucester. I keep reading about all these great nights/mornings etc etc but my experience in late sept early oct has been very little fish. I have to say i didnt get out as much as i wanted to during this time but still....can't seem to find the fish.

Should I be looking for this run a few weeks before you guys next year or should i just blame it on sucko experience?

tattoobob
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I have been getting good numbers of fish from shore, sense Sept. 1st
From PI to the harbor is on fire, look for birds hitting the water and flying in circles. at night drag an eels close to shore or near rock piles.

Are you in a boat? if so hit the harbor it is on fire

nightfighter
10-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Salem harbor is still filled with bait and schoolie blitzes. Follow the birds....stoopid fishing! They are around here still, the bigguns as well.

CJ Johnson
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Try between Rockport and Singing Beach I had been hitting large schools of feeding fish some schoolies and others keeper size fish.
Also a friend of mine has a boat and has been getting the cows in those hard to get to from shore areas.

Good Luck.

Fungus
10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I can confirm stripers off the beach on Plum Island up to the first week in November last year. Blues til the 3rd week in October.

There are still fish around.

ridler72
10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm finding larger bass during the night up close to shore. Cool to cold during the night but worth it. Mostly schoolies, small blues with an occasional keeper during the day on the fly. Best fall run action that I have had in a while within the Boston area.

MrHunters
10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
thanks guys... that keeps me going.

maybe its time to try some new rocks. im in a boat most of the time so im going to try and cover alot of ground this weekend.

numbskull
10-11-2006, 05:39 AM
I too find fall fishing, at least were I fish (the Elizabeths, Vineyard, and behind Nantucket) to be very inconsistent and unpredictable, compared to 30 years ago. The fish move in schools, and in waves. Fishing can be great one day, then lousy the next six. Only if there are substantial concentrations of bait, particularly large bait such as sea herring, bunker, big sand eels (remember those?), or mullet (further south), will the fish hold in a staging area for any appreciable time. Years ago that type of bait was wide spread and fall fishing was easier. Now, this is an exception (though it still occurs as those lucky RI guys with bunker can attest). Barring this, you are mostly fishing barren water, hoping to have your line in when something decent and hungry swims by. Fishing, then, becomes becomes a statistical exercise, although one where experience and knowledge can improve your odds. Get in a good spot, put in enough time, be patient, and you'll usually get your reward (though it may take several trips). It took me years to adjust to this fact. I used to go fishing in Oct and early Nov with high expectations of success.......and end up frustrated. Now I approach each trip with lower expectations, pace myself, try to get in more rather than longer trips, and concentrate on enjoying the fishing itself (which is not measured entirely by what you catch). Good luck.

MrHunters
10-11-2006, 06:04 AM
great post numbskull.

I never fish to catch fish (though it is nice when it happens). Time on the water is quality life time used. Im using methods/spots that were successful in the spring... Perhaps I should change my patterns and see what happens.