View Full Version : Reel Question...

ripitsik
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Have any of you guys had experiences with a TICA Dolphin? Do any of you guys own one. I looked them up online and they seem like good reels.. I am in the process of buying a new reel and I am looking for some feedback.

Bronko
10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I honestly think if you are in or around the $100 price range you can't go wrong with the Shimano Spheros 8000. I have been using these almost exclusively for a couple of years. They are tough, sturdy and have a great drag system, for the $$ I don't think you can do any better. I just rinse them off with fresh water and put them away. Every now and then I break them down and give them a good lube/cleaning. I can't say enough good things about them.

Others may chime in... a lot of guys I know use them.:grins:

Sluggoslinger
10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
My Penn 6500SS hasn't been bad either but when I've used the Shimano's, I've liked them allot.

Peter, did you get out of the car this AM or just enjoy the view? I got one but it was a long walk and they took off right after that. It seemed like a boaters morning out there.

BigBo
10-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Do yourself a favor and get the Spheros. It's a lot of bang for the buck. My experience with Tica's was lots of corrosion.:realmad:
The Spheros also has the waterproof drag.:smokin:

ripitsik
10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah I was lookin at the sphero and stradic for other reels that I was interested in. I just wanna lay out my options and get the best reel. I had a hard time trying to cast as far as I wanted this year and I am trying to upgrade my gear so I dont have that problem in the future.

leptar
10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
ok, I ranted and raved about the okuma inspira line... great bang for the buck for playing with small stuff(e-bay is-50 or ia-55 for $50 shipped) but once the fish started to get bigger the main shaft was junk, bent like it was a straw.... had a friend at a machine shop make me another one out of TI, bail arm broke,... junk...

Tica reels are monsters in the gears but the parts that hold them together are junk. reverse breaks, grindy, frame flex, ect...

I beat the piss out of my spheros 6000, i rinsed it off once because it rained.... my only gripe is that i should have gotten the 8000.... reel will handle 30# fish with no issues, drag is smooth too...

Think about this before you buy a reel...
"PARTS" and "DEPENDABILITY"....

I would stay away from the stradic... can't take a dunking... drag can not get wet!... silky smooth but for a little less $$ - a spare spool go with the Spheros...

Mike P
10-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Isn't the Dolphin a baitrunner-style reel?

If that's what you're in the market for, stick to the tried and true Shimano BTR for about a hundred smackers ;)

ripitsik
10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
ive been lookin around and the spheros is about 100 or so and thats pretty cheap compared to most reels. I think I might go and invest in the spheros I think. Id rather have you guys tell me the truth then some counterclerk that hasnt had any experience at all, tell me something else. Thanks guys I appreciate it

ripitsik
10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
do you guys think that the spheros will fit in nice with the 12 ft tsunami??

maddog2020
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
You would need the bigger Spheros 12000, or 14000 size to fit the 12' rod. The 6000/8000 Spheros is plugging class (9'-10' rod).

You mentioned wanting DISTANCE. The Daiwa Emblem Pro is the one you want for around $135 retail - mikecc caries those at M&D's in Wareham.

I know some guys who use the Tica Dolphin 8000/9000 size and they have been very happy w/ them - fishing in Mexico and CA for way stronger fish than stripers. :) Not made for dunking but then again unless it is waterproof water will get inside and you need to clean it out.

Daiwa BG90 is another sleeper - been around almost as long as the Penn 704/706. Durable and tough - it never gets mentioned any more. :(

Flaptail
10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Tica reels suck. I had experience with several. The last one didn't go back to the factory for service and/or replacement after f&cking up on a fishing trip, it went into the dumpster at the Falmouth Harbor Ramp. Wouldn't own one, wouldn't by one wouldn't take one free. Ask Stiffy about the Tica rep and my conversation with him at the Providence show last April. He was getting hot as I cooly explained his stuff was junk. Tica sucks, it's junk made cheaply to look good. They suck.

RIROCKHOUND
10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Quantum Cabo 199... good reel for the $$
Less-wealthy mans saltiga :D

maddog2020
10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
tell us what ya really think, Flaptail. ;) LOL

If you look at the Daiwa Emblem Sport and the Tica Dolphin - aside from the color schemes = sure looks like the same reel to me.

I have experience w/ the Emblem Pro & navy blue Emblems, but not the Sport.

The big Spheros retails around $140. Tough enough for schoolie tuna (guys use the std 6500B Baitrunner as well). The Daiwa BG - guides use those for sailfish.

The Quantum 50 & 60 lack line capacity for their physical size. If the spools held more I would consider one. I have one of the smaller 30 Boca's. I still rather use my Spheros.

Bronko
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
My Penn 6500SS hasn't been bad either but when I've used the Shimano's, I've liked them allot.

Peter, did you get out of the car this AM or just enjoy the view? I got one but it was a long walk and they took off right after that. It seemed like a boaters morning out there.

I never got out. But ran into some over by my work. Little guys...but plenty of them. I saw you making the death march and hoped they didn't move on you.

Adamfishes
10-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Leptar-

Those okuma reels are junk aren't they?! They feel so nice and look real good but when it comes down to catch a fish they have no power like a shimano. Whenever I catch an ok fish on the okuma I'm always afraid its gonna break. I had some sort of medium size shark on with the okuma and it was definitly slipping I was pretty shocked it didn't break. But I'm sure it will break any minute!

Mike P
10-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I think I could torch any reel with aluminum gears in half a season fishing the Canal. Even the much acclaimed Emblem Pro. I noticed some gear slop in it this very morning :(

maddog2020
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
It comes down to how often you use it IMHO.

A crappy reel will last if you a lifetime use it twice a month and you take care of it.

I've seen guys destroy top quality gear in short span of time. :( They dunk it, never rinse it off and never lube it. I end up repairing guides and trying to get the reels working again .... usually TOSS the reels or use it for parts if it is any good. I'm sick of seeing torn up rear grips - why do people JAM their rods into the rocks..... I started using ROPE on the bottom sections. I won't make the mistake of telling some one I can fix it for them again .... LOL. I pick up stuff on the side since I know my buddy is going to call me late at nite and needs "x" so he can fish in the am. It is an excuse to have extra gear around. ;)

What would you rather use: some POS $20 outfit or a 2 liter bottle? ;)

The Spheros 8000 is on season 4 now: I doubt I will be fishing it 20 yrs from now (I rotate thru several reels). The used Penn 704 are almost as old as me - those will be around unless my wife throws all my gear away at the dump when I die.....lol.

Buy what you can afford! I envy the guy fishing all the time rather than looking at what he is using for gear. :)

ripitsik
10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
that canal!!!! its a freakin war zone for gear! You go with full ammo and you come home with nothing

basswipe
10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times,the best bang for the buck is the Spheros.

tattoobob
10-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I have 2 704's for sale in the classifieds can't go wrong parts are easy to get and you can fix it yourself. Do your self a favor and spend alittle more money you will be much happier in the long run