View Full Version : fishing for food

MikeTLive
10-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I am going to try again tomorrow to catch some dinner.
with money the way it is for me these days, a keeper can mean up to 40 bucks saved in grocery money.
Anyone else out there fishing for sustenance and not just sport?

the filets will be at least two easy meals.
the head will go in the lobster(crab) trap.
the rest - sans fins - will go in the stew pot with a pile of potatoes for some chowder/stew.

I am gonna start buying my bait at the fish market. that way when I dont catch anything I can at least eat the bait!

if anyone has some extras that they dont want swing by my place.
I will be happy to take it off your hands. I will even cook your dinner if you want!

tattoobob
10-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I feel your pain Mike

luds
10-13-2006, 08:41 PM
When I keep one I do think about the fact that it's saves me a few bucks. Like you said it's at least a couple meals.

Back Beach
10-14-2006, 06:02 AM
MTL,

If you are looking to save money or put food food on the table just remember this: Fish from the surf cost at least $50 per pound once you break it out.:laugha: I can go to grill 23 for less than what it costs me to catch a bass!

" To catch the fish I have the gear, a rod, a reel, and a case of beer. Two dozen hooks and lures to spare, brand new boat to get me there. Once I do the math I've found, a fish costs fifty dollars a pound".......a wise man.

Rappin Mikey
10-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Case of beer!!!!:buds: Now we're talking.

MikeTLive
10-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Ah HA! thats what I was missin... the case of beer!
if I add up all the time, gear, and bait and divide by two keepers in the last 3 years I get about $1000/lb.
those keepers came in on simple hook and frozen bait.
one on my pops 40yr old rig (now retired)

its like the plug makers here. those first few cost a bundle but once they figure out a system that works they crank on out.
I havent figured out a system that works for catching fish.
too much time away from the water seems to be my biggest problem.

basswipe
10-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Every once in awhile I'll fish for scup,fluke or blackfish simply because I want some fish for dinner.Scup fishing in particular is fairly inexpensive both gear and bait wise.

MikeTLive
10-14-2006, 11:10 AM
as a kid I used to bring home stringers of small pollock(sp?) from the pier. the numbers are gone now. and my fishing ability went with it. too much time away from water. I need an intervention.

MikeTLive
10-14-2006, 11:36 AM
drivin son and his GF to the movies! gonna swing to the canal for a bit - 1:45-3 or so gonna drive down to scusset creek. maybe you will see me.

MikeTLive
10-14-2006, 05:22 PM
:skunk:. but I was at the water wetting a line so it was a good day.