View Full Version : Some History/Some thoughts on fish from the north!/Migration.

LINESIDES
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
When I was 13, 1958. I had already been fascinated with stripers. My brother brought them home from Boston harbor. I started seeking them out then. I did all right from the summer street bridge in South Boston. We would climb around the barbed wire restrainer and get down on the pilings. We did 6 to12 pounders. Or so, great size considering a keeper was 16 inches. I was hooked. This was something that got into my blood, like drug. I could not get enough of these. My brother was hooked also but not as bad. In 1962 my brother took a trip to meet his new relatives in Inverness Nova Scotia, Canada.
On our way through Calais, Maine, I saw a bait shop. I love these places. Like to see what the locals use, and still do! I asked the owner, do you get Stripers up hear? He told me they don’t come this far.
I put that in my memory banks. Then in Mid 70s, I believe, I could be wrong on the year, I read an article, about Stripers, that they had caught a striper in Nova Scotia. The fish was loaded with eggs, however no sign of spawning at that time in any rivers. This turned a light bulb for the fishery department up their. I know the started to look. I put it out of my mind until 1985, when I started fishing with my current trainer. He started talking about this theory. Fish from up there coming down here! I had this guy I used to work with. He lived in Nova Scotia; he was telling me that they catch them all the time where he came from in Annapolis Royal Nova Scotia, Canada. He caught my ear. Being dedicated the way I was to the fish, I tell my wife, when we go on vacation this year we are going to Annapolis Royal Nova Scotia, Canada. She loved the fish also.
In 1987 we go, sure enough we I get up their, I start by trying to find a tackle shop. Believe me they are far and few between up their. I tell the owner who I am, and what I am looking for. He verifies every thing. We have them, they hatch here. He says we love your blue fish also. I said really! He tells me they have been coming for three years now, but not steady. I am amazed. In the fifties blue fish would not make it to Boston harbor. It was this next statement out of him that got my ear. He told me this. We catch them through the ice! Some stay some go; they do not know where they go. I said what size are we talking about. He says we do thirty and forty pounders up here prity regular. The record at the time was about 50 or so pounds. I like that number! We catch them all year long he says.
He still has my ear. He begins to tell me that there are these fish that come here in December. They stay until March, and then they are gone again. I ask what kind of fish are you talking about. He says, Quote: GOD AUFULL FISH! I asked whadoyoumean? He says, we hook em through the ice, and we can’t control them. They are just too big, when we do hook one of these fish, the holes are too small. He says, the men that have seen them, claim the exceed sixty pounds! And some are larger. Folks, I see large fish in my area, north of Boston in second week of April when the water is around 48 degrees, when they are just starting to show up on the Vineyard, and Nantucket. They can hang around as late as June, and then they are gone again. Than we see them again in late November, than it’s over. I have taken two stripers in the thirty pound range. Thou four or five years apart in June loaded with eggs. I have more, however I don’t want to be boring! Does any one find any interest in this sort of stuff?

Slingah
10-16-2006, 06:54 PM
very interesting....lemme get this straight....60# Striped Bass through the ice in Nova Scotia?????? I might have met you before I remember someone telling me someting like this a while back....

Slipknot
10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
That is very interesting.
sou nds like some fish choose to head north instead of south off the coast of NC for the winter, then maybe they spawn up there.
Not boring at all Linsides, tell us more.

Raven
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
we're all ears ...please continue...

RIJIMMY
10-16-2006, 08:01 PM
I remember my Dad telling me he read an article about stripers, 50lb plus, rolling on the sand chaising bait in Nova Scotia.

YOu didnt mention if you caught or saw any bass when you were there????

numbskull
10-16-2006, 08:14 PM
As I understand it, there is a breeding population of Striped Bass centered in Nova Scotia, and that may migrate south as far as Maine. I cannot remember (or find) the source of that information tonight (I think I may have first read it in Woolner's book), however.

JohnR
10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
As I understand it, there is a breeding population of Striped Bass centered in Nova Scotia, and that may migrate south as far as Maine. I cannot remember (or find) the source of that information tonight (I think I may have first read it in Woolner's book), however.

Isn't there an established breeding ground in the Penabscot as well?

Clogston29
10-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Isn't there an established breeding ground in the Penabscot as well?

I've heard that too. They were severly diminished but I think I heard that it was coming back since they removed some dams on the river.

pops02
10-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Thats very interesting. I wonder what the water temperature range is from summer to winter. Anyone have any idea ?

ProfessorM
10-17-2006, 08:09 AM
I have been to Novie many times as it is where my grandmother hails from. 4 years ago we went down to Nova Scotia for a week and I talked to some locals about striper fishing and they told me they get 40 to 50 lbers all the time fishing the outgoing tides at the tidal rivers mouths. I have never heard about the ice fishing sounds wild. Don't forget they say Nova Scotia has the warmest water north of the Carolinas, gulf stream, it might have something to do with it.

MarshCappa
10-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Very interesting. The gulf stream has to be the reason and the abundance of food plus less anglers equals huge fish but what do I know. Keep it coming Linesides!

Flaptail
10-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Actually catching Stripers through the ice is not that uncommon. In Joshua Atkins Nickerson's book "As I remember it" agbout growing up in Chatham at the turn of the century, he mentioned how his father and uncle would spear bass through the ice by drawing them up to the hole with lanterns in Pleasant Bay. On the Parker River up by Plum Island they would chop holes across the ice drop nets in and poison the river to catch bass for market in the winter.

Back in the 80's there were several taken through the ice in Follin's Pond in Yarmouth MA, one was near 30 pounds on a tilt for white perch.

Several years ago I went 22 months straight catching Stripers on the Cape just to see if it could be done and not only did I catch in Scorton and Old Harbor in Sandwich, I caught fish in Sesuit Harbor in Dennis Barnstable Harbor, Frostfish Creek in Chatham, Moonakis River in Waquoit, Blackfish Creek in Wellfleet and Upper Pleasant Bay at Barley Neck. The slowest month was March but February and January were actually good.

A mutual friend of Numbskull and mine tags bass. He tagged one last November in Quicks Hole on the Elizabeth Islands. He recently got the word that the fish ahd been recaptured in June just outside the Merrimac River entrance at Salisbury. That bass was heading North, no doubt in my mind.

There are resident populations in the Kennebec, Merrimac, Penobscot, Saco rivers to be sure but some fish do travel that far from the Chesapeake as well. It used to be said that the Hudson River fish never travelled beyond Long Island and Montauk. Well several years ago drifting eels in Barnstable we caught fish on the same night tagged in the Hudson and a couple tagged in the Chesapeake.

Fish do hold over. Some years they don't get the urge and if conditions are right they stay. I have talked to commercial shellfisherman in Barnstable Harbor who say they see them regurlarly in winter on the flats as the tide floods grubbing around where the clammers were working. Fish kills regfurlarly happen on Cape in mId winter when temps get too cold and fish get to far up creeks. In January 1995 we had several in Branstable Harbor, Scorton and Frostfish in Chatham. Duck hunters reported many in Barnstable and Pleasant Bay. I have caught bass with LaFleur in December at Old Harbor with three inches of snow on the ground and Stifftip and I caught them in Barnstable in a February snow with temps at 25 degrees and a stiff nortwest wind in our face while casting clouser minnows on flyrods on a flat.

They come and they go when they want to. The majority do go south from around here but if you know where to look you can always take a few.

LINESIDES
10-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Flaptail, you saved me allot of writing. Thank You! You are right on. I glad I am not being viewed as a nut. When I get a moment, I will adlib more!
Later, L

MikeTLive
10-17-2006, 10:31 AM
... if you know where to look you can always take a few.
that says it all.

riarcher
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Very interesting,,,, love to hear more.
My Uncle always said, "Fish are where you find them." And he was right.
I've spent years catchin fish where they "aren't",,,, and not catching where they shouldbe.

Swimmer
10-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Just a little more on this: a few, actually several years ago I read an article about research being done by a lifer at Walpole State prison about bass spawning in and around Nova Scotia. I dont no how he came about his beliefs, but he fervently believed that striper did spawn that far north. I think he received research money to further the study. Anyone remember anything about this?

ProfessorM
10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
St. Lawrence Seaway?

Flaptail
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
St. Lawrence Seaway?

Interesting fact Paul, in Genio C. Scott's 1860's tome "Fishing in American Waters" he mentions catching striped bass in Lake Ontario that would migrate up into the lake via the Saint Lawrence River. This population was wiped out later in the same century.

The bass population at St. John's is well known and has been written about many times.

JohnR
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I glad I am not being viewed as a nut.
Later, L

Ahh, give us time, give us time - you'll be a nut before you know it :hee:

Raven
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Ahh, give us time, give us time - you'll be a nut before you know it :hee:

you'll be a linesided NUT ....:rotfl: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/walnut.jpg

LINESIDES
10-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I am alergic to nuts! Thats why you dont see me hanging around John R.
Quote: Flaptail, In Joshua Atkins Nickerson's book "As I remember it" agbout growing up in Chatham at the turn of the century, he mentioned how his father and uncle would spear bass through the ice by drawing them up to the hole with lanterns in Pleasant Bay. On the Parker River up by Plum Island they would chop holes across the ice drop nets in and poison the river to catch bass for market in the winter.End quote.
I have not read the book, however I know a famely that did the same things in the early 1900. (Got em through the ice!)
I will let the dust settle for a while. ( A tid bit I found.)
Some or all of you may have seen this before. I just found it!
Quote: A striped bass tagged and released in the Saint John River, New Brunswick was recaptured 36 days later in Rhode Island, U.S.A., 805 km (503 mi) away! (22.4 km/day or 14 mi/day)
Later all, L:wave:

A striped bass tagged and released in the Saint John River, New Brunswick was recaptured 36 days later in Rhode Island, U.S.A., 805 km (503 mi) away! (22.4 km/day or 14 mi/day)

tattoobob
10-17-2006, 07:54 PM
There was a guy (Indian) and I beleave he lived on a resivation in NS now he landed 3 50 plus pound striped bass at a dam up there.
He used to post on Stripersurf.com he had some picks in the pics forum

tattoobob
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM

Yes sir caught the striper in the evening,and the trout in the mourning
I fish in the St.John River Fredericton New Brunswick,Canada

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6241

ridler72
10-17-2006, 11:35 PM
For the past 10 years I noticed a growing population of Striped Bass in the fresh/brackish waters of the Metro Boston area. During this time the fish ladders are not functioning or poorly designed for the River Herring. Well, how will the Herring spawn? They let the Herring pile into the boat lockes, close it, and open the other side to the fresh allowing the Herring to swim and spawn up river. Along with the Herring are Bass of varied size. It's nice to fish in an area were you have a shot at LMB, SMB, and Striped Bass all in one outing. I have not witnessed a spawn yet around these river ways but I am sure it is possible.