View Full Version : 4 shots fired

Raven
10-17-2006, 10:01 PM
at eastham police station...

suspect in custody....

Karl F
10-18-2006, 06:43 AM
in custody?..try shot dead... 26 year old with a bullet proof vest.. started shooting at the PD.. they chased him down to a house.. had to take him out.

stripersnipr
10-18-2006, 06:43 AM
I heard suspect is dead.

Hooper
10-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Wish I had a buck for each time I have heard, "Must be nice and quiet for you guys on the Cape this time of year" Yeah.....

Raven
10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
sounds like a vendetta or it's a suicide by cop wish....

very strange

Karl F
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Morning News Update
Last updated: 10:10 AM October 18, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police shoot, kill Eastham man
EASTHAM - A man suspected of firing shots into the Eastham police station last night was fatally shot by police after an intense 3 1/2-hour manhunt.
While police have not officially identified the dead man, sources close to the investigation identified him as David Hill, 22, of 2 Sue's Walk in Eastham.

Hill was shot by an unnamed Orleans police officer on the corner of Samoset and Herring Brook roads just before midnight last night, the sources said. He was taken to Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, where he died shortly before 1 a.m.

The suspect allegedly fired shots into the Eastham police station at about 8:20 last night.

About "four rounds were shot into the front of the building," Eastham Police Lt. Kenneth Roderick said.

After the shooting, police from several Cape departments and the state police searched for the suspect.

At 11 p.m. SWAT teams from Barnstable, Yarmouth and state police were deployed in the area of Great Pond and Samoset roads in what officers described as a tense scene.

The suspect was initially thought to be barricaded in a residence on Sue's Walk but was later said to have left that house. Police then found him off of Samoset Road at approximately 11:43 p.m., according to a police press release.

Barbara Stanton who lives at the corner of Samoset and Herring Brook roads said she noticed a car there at approximately 10:30 last night but didn't think much of it.

A little more than an hour later she heard what sounded like four shots in rapid succession followed by a pause and two more shots.

When she called 911 she was told that police were taking care of the situation.

She said other neighbors heard the shots but Hill's neighbors on Sue's Walk said they did not hear anything.

Nobody answered the door at Hill's residence this morning and the house was dark.

Hill was wearing a bullet proof vest at the time of the shooting, sources said.

Last night, investigators photographed apparent bullet holes at the Eastham Police Station from earlier in the night.

In July, Hill pleaded not guilty in Orleans District Court to traffic violations, assault and battery of a police officer and resisting arrest in Eastham.

The Cape and Islands District Attorney is expected to hold a press conference to release more information later this morning.

Check here later for more updates later in the day.

-By Staff Reports

Swimmer
10-18-2006, 09:55 AM
This why it always irks me to hear the word "routine" used when describing something that has to do with police work. Routine traffic stop, no, ask the family of the Manchester, N.H. cop, routine night on the desk inside the Eastham police station, no, enough said.

Karl F
10-18-2006, 10:00 AM
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/update/images/eastham_shoot18.jpg

Karl F
10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Earlier this morning, Gerard Hill, the suspect's father and owner of the Eastham Box Lunch franchise, said he wasn't comfortable commenting about the incident of his son's treatment by police at this time.

A Lower Cape Realtor who knows Gerard Hill told a Cape Cod Times reporter this morning that the elder Hill has been peaved that the Eastham police have been unable to solve several robberies at his sandwich shop over the summer.

A Box Lunch employee, who asked not to be named, said she called the younger Hill last night and asked him if he'd heard about the police station shooting. "Yah...that's crazy," Hill allegedly responded according to the employee.

David Hill worked at the Box Lunch. The woman indicated that David Hill was at work yesterday and that he "seemed normal."

Karl F
10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
The shots fired at the police department narrowly missed hitting a group of civilians that was meeting at the station, said Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe during a press conference that ended at 11:30 a.m. today.

After the shooting at the police station, Hill apparently called his mother in Maine and told her that he wanted to take someone hostage, then kill police and himself, O'Keefe said.

Hill's mother contacted her brother, who is a police officer in an undisclosed Massachusetts police department, then called the Eastham police, O'Keefe said.

After several phone calls between Eastham police and Hill's mother and uncle, Hill's whereabouts was determined and two police officers, one from Truro and one from Orleans were dispatched to the scene, O'Keefe said.

O'Keefe refused to elaborate on what took place at the scene once the officers arrived and Hill was shot.

Hill was found with a .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun that had 34 rounds in it and was cocked, O'Keefe said. Hill was wearing a bullet proof vest at the time of the shooting.

capesams
10-18-2006, 11:22 AM
I know one of the cop's who nail the guy..two cops came across the guy in the woods..bang your dead...one cop had a ar-15[I beleive] the other a hand gun..who would go after someone with a hand gun in the woods...........:doh: something really wrong with their choice of weapons.they best catch up with the times.

Flaptail
10-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Huh, and all the while I figured it was just someone fed up with the Eastham PD's speed limit enforcement.....oh well.

Hooper
10-18-2006, 02:54 PM
I know one of the cop's who nail the guy..two cops came across the guy in the woods..bang your dead...one cop had a ar-15[I beleive] the other a hand gun..who would go after someone with a hand gun in the woods...........:doh: something really wrong with their choice of weapons.they best catch up with the times.

Steve-

Some Cape department's administrations are living in denial. They think a patrol rifle like an AR 15 and a shotgun are unneccessary and overkill. It was probably all he had available at the time and as I have been told by guy who were ther, he was an outer perimeter security element. The bad guy was supposedly inside a home, not outside in the woods.

Thank God that one of them had an AR or it is very possible that we on Cape Cod, like Manchester, NH, would be planning a funeral. My department, fortunately, went and bought AR 15's for every cruiser and the supervisor's vehicle after the North Hollywood bank robbery. But, I work for a progressive place....

Swimmer
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Where do you holster a rifle if the guy just drops his gun and wants to fistfight. The semi auto pistol is the all-around way to go. Certainly if you have the missfortune of coming up against somebody and the shot is a long one then the current bustmaster most of us use with the night sights and red dot laser does the trick. I can't tell you how many times as a rookie I got stuck with the long gun then was unable to help out wrestling with a suspect because you cant just lean the long gun up against a wall and leave it there. Its interesting that the Truro guy and an orleans officer were sent to the house by themselves. I am sure Truro only has one guy on at night. Orleans probably has three on patrol maybe. I understand your thinking though. Like Hooper, my P.D. has come a long way in the last five years and we have some really up-to-date equipment that we have been thoroughly trained in. I find it hard to believe that the perp did not have a history of some sort.

capesams
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
my problem is I'd make a rotten cop....shoot first..knee caps or a stock up side the head...anyone with a knife or gun in their hand has in my eye's are ready to give up their life and other's around them...

put them down now..there's enough arms out there today that'll eat an engine block up...why use something that will shatter when it hits leaf on a tree...joe public is has better arm's then most town's would ever think of having...

I grew up with everything from a bb gun to single shot 50 cal. to full auto.... just about everything.....while the men in blue were still using 38's......

it's to bad and I almost feel sorry for the guy's on the street that are there to protect us for being at such a disadvantage in this day an age...no need of it.

chris L
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
one thought if he was including suicide in the thought process , why a bullet proof vest ?

I have shot a weapon or 2 in my life . If I was hunting down a person in the woods a pistol is the only way to go imo . A rifle or shotgun are too cumbersome . if he is behind a tree and if you wheel around the barrel could get in the way . learn your weapon and it will serve you well

Hooper
10-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Just like you don't bring a knife to a gunfight, you always bring an accurate and powerful weapon, like and AR15 to a gunfight if you have it available. My Glock is the "Oh $h!t" weapon, like stopping into Christy's for the paper and they're getting robbed. If I know ahead of time there is a gun involved however, it is always the rifle, not to mention the intimidation factor alone.