View Full Version : Tried Something Different Today

The Dad Fisherman
10-18-2006, 07:18 AM
I've been catching a lot of dinks lately so I thought I would change things up a little.

Filled the plug bag with plugs that I have never caught fish on before and headed out. Not saying bad plugs just ones that never seem to work for me. Got there and the surf was big and there was a lot of salad ih the wash.Tried throwing some needles and they got kicked around all over the place.......painful to say the least.

Then tied on a Blue/White Tattoo Darter and Bang 1st cast, a nice fat 36"er for the table, 1st fish I've ever taken on a darter....felt good to feel some drag being taken for a change. Haven't heard that in a few weeks.

I guess it just goes to show you that sometimes it pays to mix things up once in awhile.

Raven
10-18-2006, 07:26 AM
nice goin Dad fisherman....change is goood ...
how's the kiddo's and wifely like bass....

The Dad Fisherman
10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
My son and I will eat it....the women will not. They don't do fish.

I got a guy thats going to trade me some venison for a couple of fillets so that works out good too.

nice goin Dad fisherman....change is goood ...
how's the kiddo's and wifely like bass....

Raven
10-18-2006, 07:30 AM
ya gotta love barter....

only thing the gubbermint can't tax

maddog2020
10-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Great idea, TDF.

Few weeks back I nailed a fat 34" striper on a lure I never have any confidence in. Of course now I'm trying this thing on all the time now ..... lol.

I have some lures I thought would be great producers and they aren't. :( I think we are all guilty of spending too much $ on plugs in our bags.

Bartering is way more fun that just selling things outright. :D Been doing that with tackle the past couple of yrs. That hard to get lure can temp the best of them. ;)

Karl F
10-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Great Stuff TDF.. we all get into a plug rut.. good for you for having the fortitude to change it up..
I like this idea... pack a bag with ones ya don't use.. leave all else home.. give them a try, learn some new techniques...:claps:
Glad it paid off for you too, with the darter. :)

Finaddict
10-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Good stuff TDF ... darters and bottle plugs don't seem to get as much attention up this way as they do down in Long Island, where they get a lot of attention and score a lot of fish on 'em ... if they are gettiing the attention the deserve, then those that are using ain't talking ... gives me hope for some of the plugs in my arsenal ...:jump1:

STREETFIGHT
10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
way to go tdf- i've been thinking of adding a darter or diving swimmer to my bag for the last couple weeks...... i guess i should take the plunge.

tattoobob
10-18-2006, 09:30 AM
I am not sure if it was the darter of the fact that it is Blue and white
I know that the Mackerel have made there way inshore and the bass are feeding on them, I have only been having luck with white, blue and white ans any Mac pattern.

Nice catch,

fcap60
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I do that often. IMHO, that's the only way to learn how to fish your plugs. One person's "no confidence" plug, may be another's "go to" plug.

Great work