View Full Version : Truck Undercoating

Slick Moedee
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Thinking of getting it doen to my 2001 Tacoma. Anyone care to share therit thoughts, pros/cons? Any suggestions on who to have the work done by on the Northshore? Thanks.

MrHunters
10-19-2006, 10:09 PM
judging by the one season of rust build up from trailering on my rig in and out of the gloucester ramp 3 times a week, i'd say its a good idea.

man, salt is rough stuff.

unfortunatly jeeps have a real short wheel base so i have to go pretty deep to get the boat off at 1/2 to low tide.

thefishingfreak
10-19-2006, 10:15 PM
no comment.

01 toyota.
if it ain't done at the factory like the germans do, forget it..

Swimmer
10-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Ya Slick what the freak said, if it isn't done by now don't bother. Giver underside good pressure wash once a week at leats to clean salt. I mean stick your head underneath and spray everywhere.

fishpoopoo
10-20-2006, 06:55 AM
the consensus view seems to swing between

1) should be done when you get it new

or

2) shouldn't be done at all because the coatings just attract more sand/salt and give them a place to hide.

so, i just settled on a good pressure wash, and sometimes running a sprinkler under the truck for an hour.

thefishingfreak
10-20-2006, 07:04 AM
squirt oil/ wd 40/ pb blaster in the doors. up under the spotwelds in the quarters.
everyplace you can reach.
that will slow it down

Karl F
10-20-2006, 07:12 AM
do it new, not later, if your gonna do it at all.
and it's 50/50 at best on the benifit, or nonbenifit of doing it.

powerwash undersides, or give a good rinse....
(altho.. mine rusts just as quick as a couple of guys I know who just drive 'em, and ignore 'em, so I am beginning to question.. all the rinsing)

Old timey method...
save your drain oil.. thin it a bit with kerosene.. get an air nozzle with a pick up tube.. suit up in some old coveralls. and get a resperator..

put the pick up tube in the oil/kero mix.. and spray the heck out of the undersides (hit the inside of the doors, and tailgate too)... then go drive around till the drippin's done ;), or even better whip it down a dirt road , and let the dust and dirt pack the oil mix onto the undersides...
do this 2-3 times a year...

don't tell any environatzis of this method :eek:..;)

have not done this in years..but, I had an old narrow gage bronco for years. and used to do this.. that style bronco was known to rot out.. mine didn't.. at least as fast as the others down here.... had it for over a decade on the beach.. and of all the ones I've owned, that had the most beach time & miles on it, and least rot.

buggy never had a squeak or a ratlle in it either :)

Slick Moedee
10-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Power wash it is. Thanks.

Flaptail
10-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Member Rusty Jones? Those wer the days, you could hear the actual decay of the metal on my old GM trucks, we called it beach cancer.