View Full Version : Rayovac Sportsman 3 in 1 source?

tlapinski
10-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Wally World doesn't carry these anymore that I can find. Anyone have a somewhat local source for them? Why don't any shops have them as they seem to be the light of choice lately? Would be willing to go in on a large order if anyone has connections.
http://www.qcsupply.com/ProductImages/350412LG.JPG
P.S. - That's not me in the picture... :hihi:

Sudsrat
10-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Excellent head-lamp!
Down here in PA,I get them at the local Homie's or Lowe's.

cheferson
10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
wallyworld in newport and warwick still have them. cant find one let me know and ill mail you one out, have to go there tomorrow

MAC
10-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Lowe's

tlapinski
10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
I'll check the local Lowes and HD. Never even thought to look there. I have 3 that I rotate through right now, but, like all other good surf gear, I want to have a small stock of them for when they die / get discontinued. Thanks for the tips.

Pete_G
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
I've got the connection...

Let's talk...

The only scary thing is when I looked into purchasing a batch a ways back (and it has to be a BIG batch, which is why I didn't pull the trigger) they suggested they might do away with them. Hopefully that is NOT why you're having issues securing a new Rayovac.

labrax
10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I saw them a lot last year, but believe that I saw them at the Hudson, MA Wal-Mart the last time I was there (couple of weeks ago) - they even come with the batteries. I have one for two years now and have dunked it in a fall and used it in the rain - no problem for me.

Christian
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
whats so good about em? i killed mine in like 1 trip...i know they are wicked inexpensive, but..?

fishpoopoo
10-23-2006, 08:41 PM
WMT has been cutting back its inventories and SKU's in a bid to beef up productivity and profitability.

If I were you I'd load up on those Rayovac headlamps. The parent company of Rayovac (NYSE: SPC) is going into the toilet, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was headed into bankruptcy.

Slingah
10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
mail back the broke ones now....lifetime warranty.....worth a shot
I'm goin to buy a few more....love those lamps
durable, bright, easy to use...and cheap!!!!

Redsoxticket
10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I lost my Ray-O-Vac 3 in 1 in the surf a couple months ago and I tried to find a replacement at Wallyworld. I called several but they no longer carry them.
Oh no what I'm I going to do.
Well, I found a 3 in 1 (1 red led, 2 white leds, and lamp) headlamp at #^&#^&#^&#^&s Sports. It is waterproof with gaskets, push button, adjustable, straps like ray-o-vac, three AAA baterries and is solid green. It is just like the ray-o-vac and cost $14.

BigFish
10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I bought a few at WallyWorld a couple months ago.....they still sell them! I will look around T-Lap!:kewl:

Skitterpop
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Where to Buy
Rayovac products can be purchased at the following retailers:National Chains Ace HardwareBatteries PlusBest BuyCircuit City CompUSAGraingerGraybar ElectricHome DepotKmartLowe'sRadio ShackSam's Club SearsTargetToys R UsWalgreen'sWal-Mart Regional Chains Brandmart USA Great IndoorsSam Ash MusicBi-MartHH GreggShopKoBlain's Farm & FleetJ&R ElectronicsShopRiteConsolidated Electric
DistributorsMeijerSundance Solar Duckwall-AlcoMenard'sUnited Stationers Food CityMicro CentersWoodman'sFry's ElectronicsMills Fleet Farm

NOT ALL RAY-O-VAC products are available at all stores

Redsoxticket
10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Wallys at Fairhaven, Dartmouth, Fall River, Seekonk, Attleboro, Warwick, Coventry, Cranston no longer carry them as of Aug 13th

Karl F
10-23-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007XJQK0/dealtime-ce-feed-20/ref=nosim

or:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GAS7N6/dealtime-tools-20/ref=nosim

BigFish
10-23-2006, 09:22 PM
I have a new one in package I will trade for spots!:rolleyes:

Redsoxticket
10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&s sports has the same type headlamp and its waterproof. I was dissappointed that I could not find the Ray-O-vac but at the end I lucked out and found a better one.

tlapinski
10-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Christian, you must have had a defective one. My oldest one is in its 3rd season. I have had mine completely submerged, not on purpose, and they keep going. I like the 3 different lights on it, and use all of them at different times. Pete, how many is a lot? I could probably get 25 - 30 sold right off if the price is right between myself and the guys I fish with, maybe more.

BigFish
10-24-2006, 06:35 AM
First one I ever bought sucked like the one Christian had....no problems since in 6+ years!:kewl:

STREETFIGHT
10-24-2006, 07:14 AM
pete g- i'd be good for a stash of 6 or 8 of them if you can bring them in..... i've got 1 thats going into its third fall season & its been soaked a couple times.

afterhours
10-24-2006, 07:25 AM
love 'em- 2 years on pair. guess i gotta find a couple of more- this am.

Pete_G
10-24-2006, 07:36 AM
I'll look into getting them today and report back.

John E
10-24-2006, 07:59 AM
They have them at the K-mart or Walmart by me here in LI. Give one of the bigger chain stores a try.

tattoobob
10-24-2006, 08:33 AM
I love mine but it keeps draining the batteries, the wal-mart up here didn't have them and I don't like the one I bought, the red light isn't bright enough, I will look for a new one also

John E
10-24-2006, 08:44 AM
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/gift/under10/gift_idea_under_10.htm?E+coastest

$9.99 Scroll about 1/3 of the way down.

The store is in CT.

Skitterpop
10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/gift/under10/gift_idea_under_10.htm?E+coastest

$9.99 Scroll about 1/3 of the way down.

The store is in CT.

Nice...... Only $68.20 for 6 lamps with UPS Ground :hihi:

When I got mine a couple years ago at Wally Murt it was $13 something.

Thank you!

RIROCKHOUND
10-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Love em... they get dunked repeatedly at one of the outflows in a wetsuit... sucks to be short I take waves over the head even in moderate surf and waist deep water...
I've killed one in the 3 or 4 years I've been using it... one precaution I take is to tape the battery connection closed...
ALSO tip..
save the battery cartiges from old ones, and keep them ready to drop in to your light.. much easier then trying to remember which battery goes + or -

John E
10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
ALSO tip..
save the battery cartiges from old ones, and keep them ready to drop in to your light.. much easier then trying to remember which battery goes + or -

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I should be stock up now before they're gone.

Clueless
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
link to competitor removed out of respect for site sponsor

NIB
10-25-2006, 06:19 AM
U really R clueless aren't ya.
A site sponser says he will look into getten em for a bunch of guys an u put up a link in direct competition.
Nice first post..

Skitterpop
10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
NIB

I think he said he would have to order a ton so it did`nt look viable.

Wally Mart in Wareham has about 9 left at just under $13.00
Plus a new Energizer light for $14 and change that has more lights than the Ray O....looks nice :humpty:

Clueless
10-25-2006, 09:31 AM
U really R clueless aren't ya.
A site sponser says he will look into getten em for a bunch of guys an u put up a link in direct competition.
Nice first post..

Way to make a guy feel welcome NIB. Maybe you missed Karl F and John E's posting of links, because you neglected to tear them new ones.

If one of the mods or Pete_G wants me to pull the link I'll gladly do so. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

Pete_G
10-25-2006, 10:10 AM
OK, I have to buy around 100 of them and while I can match or maybe beat Wal-Mart's price, ($12.99 would be the price I could sell them at) beating some of those others isn't worth the effort. If there's interest I'll grab a batch of them.

Rayovac still has them in stock and didn't sound like they have any plans to do away with them, so they should continue to be available.

STREETFIGHT
10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
OK, I have to buy around 100 of them and while I can match or maybe beat Wal-Mart's price, ($12.99 would be the price I could sell them at) beating some of those others isn't worth the effort. If there's interest I'll grab a batch of them.

Rayovac still has them in stock and didn't sound like they have any plans to do away with them, so they should continue to be available.

thanks for the offer pete g- i'm good for 8 of them....... hopefully you could have them before the holidays- 6 for my pvt stash and 1 for each of the 2 guys i fish with........

John E
10-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Way to make a guy feel welcome NIB. Maybe you missed Karl F and John E's posting of links, because you neglected to tear them new ones.

If one of the mods or Pete_G wants me to pull the link I'll gladly do so. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

NIB is 100% right on this one. In my haste to help out, I didn't read through all the posts. My apologies to Pete G and the guys at SWE. In the dealings I've had with them, they have always treated me with the upmost coutesy and a high level of customer service. If I had read Pete's post, I would of waited to post the link. :hang:

Saltheart
10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Home depot and lowes has them in my area.

the lights are nice but don't seem to last more than a season or two.

I have a Petzl Spilunker(?sp cave divers) headlamp that is now about 10 years old and its absolutely waterproof. It does not have the 3 light sources (normal , halogen and red) like the Rayovac but the batteries last a whole season with the normal bulb that it has .

Anyway , if you got the $70 , get the Petxl , if money is tight , the rayovacs are very nice.

Clueless
10-25-2006, 01:02 PM
NIB is 100% right on this one. In my haste to help out, I didn't read through all the posts. My apologies to Pete G and the guys at SWE. In the dealings I've had with them, they have always treated me with the upmost coutesy and a high level of customer service. If I had read Pete's post, I would of waited to post the link. :hang:

I removed my link. I didn't realize Pete_G was a site sponsor at the time I posted and I apologize to him for that. I haven't done business with SWE yet, but I'm sure they are all you say they are.

Ribeye
10-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Wally World in North Dartmouth and Fall River had several on their pegs as of noon 10/25.Bought two .Nice lite,thanks people.

Mr. Sandman
10-25-2006, 09:38 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&s B&T has them here. I have to say that for the money this headlamp is better then $35+ lamps I have tried. It does not look as nice but it has a red led, a white led and a regular beam. Still not a perfect lamp but closer to ideal then most and seems to hold up better then the expensive "waterproof" lamps. The regular beam eats up the batteries quick but the leds are good.

My perfect headlamp would be:
I would like to see a true waterproof lamp
All LED's
1 red broadbeam
1 white broadbeam
1 powerful focused white LED beam
emergency LED flasher red/white rapid blinker
small batteries in the light not in a beltpack.
The switch should be a easy single handed button and should have seprate buttons for each mode not some combo of pushing one button until you get the right mode. Cost: < 50 bucks with a no questions asked return policy...it breaks you get another one.

Pete_G
10-25-2006, 09:48 PM
I have to say that for the money this headlamp is better then $35+ lamps I have tried. It does not look as nice but it has a red led, a white led and a regular beam. Still not a perfect lamp but closer to ideal then most and seems to hold up better then the expensive "waterproof" lamps. The regular beam eats up the batteries quick but the leds are good.

That would be my assessment as well of the Rayovac.

To those who posted other links; don't worry about it, it's not a big deal.

The order has been placed, Rayovacs are inbound. I'll get them on the web as soon as they arrive.

shadow
10-26-2006, 05:16 AM
My perfect headlamp would be:
I would like to see a true waterproof lamp
All LED's
1 red broadbeam
1 white broadbeam
1 powerful focused white LED beam
emergency LED flasher red/white rapid blinker
small batteries in the light not in a beltpack.
The switch should be a easy single handed button and should have seprate buttons for each mode not some combo of pushing one button until you get the right mode. Cost: < 50 bucks with a no questions asked return policy...it breaks you get another one.you should check out the inova 24/7 sounds like that is exactly what you want pete has them.

pmueller
10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
That light is certainly a great deal for the buck. I've had a couple of them the last few years. Usually last a season or so. Wally world usually takes its da-n sweeet time reordering product, they may show up soon or look in another store.

nightfighter
10-26-2006, 07:08 PM
I love mine but it keeps draining the batteries,

Well, chit, if you'd give it a night off for cripes sake........ Ten bucks says if there are still fish around, you don't report back to work on Nov1. :bshake: Your reports are killing me, since I see them after coming in after work..... :think: You better be writing an article or something... Endless Summer '06, the upside of a laid off striper junkie!

Yeah I better find me one of these headlamps before I follow ChrisL again!:faga:

tattoobob
10-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, chit, if you'd give it a night off for cripes sake........ Ten bucks says if there are still fish around, you don't report back to work on Nov1. :bshake: Your reports are killing me, since I see them after coming in after work..... :think: You better be writing an article or something... Endless Summer '06, the upside of a laid off striper junkie!

Yeah I better find me one of these headlamps before I follow ChrisL again!:faga:

Ya I don't think I will be working 11/1, no need to work a week then tell him I need a week off to go to Block Island, How do you think that would go over. I don't think my hands can take it.

big jay
10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Pete - I'll take one when they come in. Let me know.
-jay