View Full Version : Hi everyone

19Mako
06-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself...... my name is Anthony and I recently purchased my first boat, a 19ft Mako. I'm a fishing fanatic like many of you. I've decided to take my dad out fishing for Fathers Day in Boston Harbor. He's 86 yrs old and his last striper, a 46 pounder, was taken in San Francisco back in the 70's. He's real excited about our upcoming trip so I don't want to disappoint him.

I've purchased some gear: a 9-er umbrella rig and some tubes. Will anyone here offer some trolling techniques or good spots for the area that I'll be fishing? I haven't had any luck with the tubes though it seems most of the charter captains in the area are using these.

Thanks in advance,
Webmaster, this is an awesome site!

Anthony

Jenn
06-06-2002, 10:07 PM
welcome aboard! great site...great people......

sorry...cant help you out on the boat stuff.......but it wont be long before you get a response I am sure!

good luck! Jenn

Mr. Kav
06-07-2002, 06:32 AM
Hello Mako, i will be fishing in the harbor as well with my father that day. i will be trying to find some live macks and troll them around boston light and graves light and out by point allerton. anchoring off that point is also productive with live or chunk bait. as for the tube and worms, i troll them all around the harbor islands with a trolling sinker on them. caught a few 34" fish under the long bridge and up until pig rock last weekend. i monitor channel 69 and my boat is a 25ft proline w/a cuddy with twin OB " Kav's Catch " maybe i will see you out there, good luck

JohnR
06-07-2002, 07:46 AM
19Mako - welcome to S-B :btu:

As mentioned here and on other threads - the big ticket in the Harbor is live mackeral or herring. Herring are best needed with a permit & net at various runs and mackeral are best jigged up on Sabiki or Mackeral "Christmas Tree" Rigs. The macks are in tighter schools at first light and will show up as hundreds of small dots on your finder. The prime area I've seen for schools of macks in years past is from Hardings Ledge to the B-Buoy to the Habor Islands - best being closest to the B-Buoy. Look for lots of boats drifting and jigging... Once loaded up and in the livewell (a must for keeping macks or herring live - otherwise - large round tub and pour fresh 10 gals of saltwater every 5 minutes) hook mackeral behind dorsal fin & gently lob towards some structure that'll hold the bass, let them run live & catch some fish :D

19Mako
06-07-2002, 03:49 PM
hi Jenn and thanks everyone,
I'm looking forward the trip with my dad as well as meeting many of the board members in the future. I don't have a name for my boat yet but many just call out to me on the radio.
KAV's Catch and Mitsdog, thanks for the tips!

have a safe weekend.

Anthony