View Full Version : Cod Fishing

Bronko
11-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Anybody have anything good to report? Any local action at the usual haunts Boston area haunts? They should be moving in soon to :humpty: each other. General action report would be great. Mr. Santini? Anybody?

Bronko
11-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Now that I remeber it correctly....did that area shut down as of today? :huh: Guess I'll check the regs.

thefishingfreak
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
closed completely.
NO cod from p-town to nova scotia till march 31'st

beamie
11-01-2006, 11:01 AM
So many rules lately they are hard to follow....got this from DMF....I thought the fed regs superceded these but according to the DMF you can go catch 2 cod per vessel less than 75lbs total at 24". Essensially they shut it done not worth the trip at all.

October 24, 2006
MarineFisheries Advisory

COMMONWEALTH TAKES EMERGENCY ACTIONS FOR THE GULF OF MAINE RECREATIONAL COD FISHERY

The Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) is taking emergency action to implement minimum size and possession limit restrictions in the Gulf of Maine recreational cod fishery in response to new federal rules. As of November 1, 2006 all recreational fishermen fishing in the Gulf of Maine (see map below) will be subject to a 24” cod minimum size – an increase of 2”.

Recreational fishermen will continue to be limited to the current 10-cod possession limit during

April through October, but during November through March recreational fishermen fishing from shore or aboard private vessels in the area will be allowed a 2-fish cod possession limit not to exceed 75-lbs. per vessel.

More consistent with federal rules, for-hire vessels will be prohibited from taking any cod from the Gulf of Maine during November through March. MarineFisheries and the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission determined that a complete prohibition on fishing by private anglers during the winter and spring months was not necessary to meet the Gulf of Maine’s targeted catch reduction.

For more information contact Melanie Griffin at 617.626.1528.

MakoMike
11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Right, in MA waters 2 fish a day, in federal waters no fish per day. Note: that only applies to cod, you can still catch and keep other fish.

thefishingfreak
11-01-2006, 12:30 PM
plenty of haddock east of the bank.
if it's nice this weekend i'll be out.

but thats federal waters.

2 fish per vesel, gunna need two 35 pounders to make it worthwhile.

Team Rock On
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I read it as 2 fish per person with a 75 lb. "vessel limit." 5 fishermen, 10 7.5 pound cod.

MakoMike
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I think TRO has it right.

Bronko
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
I agree MM and TRo. Thats how I read it. Thats not too bad. You could always grab your limit and then head out for some haddock.:heybaby:

thefishingfreak
11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
ohh, that make it a little better.

beamie
11-02-2006, 06:39 PM
I guess you can read that many ways. It doesn't say 75lbs in the round, or gutted, or filets:hihi: :hihi: :think:

The one part of this is.....which way is the envirnmental police going to read it it tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow.

That said 75 lbs is nice for table fare if 4 guys go out inshore fishing and get into some small keepers.

thefishingfreak
11-02-2006, 06:55 PM
you can't filet them at sea unless your a charter/headboat.
you can gut them, which people should be doing anyways.

thefishingfreak
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree MM and TRo. Thats how I read it. Thats not too bad. You could always grab your limit and then head out for some haddock.:heybaby:

i'd get the haddock first.
or your traveling through federal waters with 75 pounds of cod :angel:

outnumbered
11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
It seems if you have a commercial groundfish license the size limit is 22" and no 500LB per boat limit the way I read it.

keeperreaper
11-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Bronko,
Call me if you need numbers for spots. I might have a few.:jump:

beamie
11-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Talked to a few of my fishing buddies at a meeting last night. One of them a long time local comm fisherman/ gear supplier that many of you know. He said 2 per per BOAT.

beamie
11-03-2006, 07:58 AM
you can't filet them at sea unless your a charter/headboat.

Only joking about that Mike. Yes true about the filet at sea. Although no one really does that as you know. A good day east of the bank if your return with all those fish still not fileted till the dock no one is going home for a while. Never understood why charter boat have the different rule. We all know that there is a handful of charter boats are cutting fish on a slow day that are just under size to get thier fare some fish...it happens. Some of them are no more honest or dishonest than a private boat. And some of the Marinas get mad dumping all the racks in the slip, make you keep onboard till the next day etc. Makes it a pain.

thefishingfreak
11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
occording to Santini...

it's 2 per person over 24" up to 75 pounds total, in state waters. offshore is closed.

macojoe
11-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know about east and south of Cape Cod?? Is it the same or different?? then the Gulf ?

Do the haddock come inshore close like the Cod? Lets say near the dumping area??

thefishingfreak
11-04-2006, 09:41 PM
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm#finfish

click the link-->cod north of cape cod. and --->cod south of cape cod.
there's the map. sais right there 2 per person, 75# per boat north.

south looks like 10 fish @22" per person.. but i believe federal waters is still closed?

i've never seen a haddock inside stellwagen but that don't mean much.
my best bet for them is east of the bank about 250-300'.

thefishingfreak
11-04-2006, 10:36 PM
looks like that don't apply to new hampshire and north?

macojoe
11-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Yep you can go out of Chatam!! 10 fish 22" :boots:

But 2 fish person or 75 pounds boat, that sucks!! :err:

Thanks!!

MakoMike
11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
The cod closure in Federal waters is only for the gulf of Maine. South of the cape its still open all year long. If you're into codfish, or any other groundfish for that matter take a look at what I posted regarding the upcoming amendment to the groundfish management plan.

taJon
11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
what about NH? 75 lbs is alot of cod still. even with only 2 fish, thats 4 real nice fillets. I would think that would be enough for 3-4 people fishing.