View Full Version : Highlights

Slingah
11-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I know it isnt over...but pretty close for me...it wasnt a banner year but still fun. I have a few highlites.
Taking Tagger to one of my spots early on and having a ball on small fish...and then being shown his holy ground later on and watching him land large.
Fishing a magicial place "George's Island" with Flaptail, numbskull and Tagger....alot of fun and a great history lesson from Flap on the way back.
And lastly...fishing with redlite after not doing so all year and watching him and back beach have thier way with some bigguns...and letting me get a few....
It goes with out saying the times with BigFish and JoeyG....always the best....
What are some of your Highlights????????????????

riverrat2
11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Fishing cutty and the vineyard during commercial season. Learned more in a month of fishing than I have over the course of 18 years. I really have to thank capt jack who isn't on this site, and of course redlite for teaching more than I could have asked for and giving me a chance of a lifetime to fish for large bass 3 days a week and even make a few bucks doing it.

BigFish
11-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Hmmmmm.......1. Fishing Cutty with Afterhours 4 times was great!

2. Watching my son catch fish on his Dads pencil popper was awesome!

3. Watching Fishchick catch her first fish on my pencil and it was a keeper......that was fun!

4. Watching Joey G. swim in the rough waves one time was funny!

5. Catching that 16 pound 15 ounce blue on Cutty was great!

6. Fishing tonight with Flap, Stiffy and Slip is a good highlight and catching 2 fish on a plug at the same time definitely a highlight there!

The best times were times spent fishing with my usual fishing cronies....Slingah, Joey G. and Afterhours....thanks for more great times!!!!:bgi:

It ain't over yet....no fat lady singing!:biglaugh:

stiff tip
11-02-2006, 06:15 AM
every day above the ground.......

afterhours
11-02-2006, 07:19 AM
i must say the cutty trips with larry are always the highlights of my season- gotta squeeze one more in! always look forward to the fischers trips with finaddict. it's always great to meet sb'er's on the rocks, beaches and in the shops! got to fish with some folk for the first time this year that was also a pleasure. did'nt get to fish with some i'd have liked to- unless the fish show up you know where- soon! got to watch johnr work an eel like a pro. on a purely selfish side- it was a great year for my "small potatoes" plug business, it was really cool seeing fishermen i'd never met with my plugs on thier rods- THANKS!

MarshCappa
11-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Nice stories. My best trip was with my nine year old step daughter on the North River drifting sea worms from a dinghy! She caught her 1st schoolie that day! My 2nd best day was the beginning of the fall run this year at Duxbury beach when I had the whole beach to myself and fish were busting everywhere for an hour! Fast and furious and a ton of fun.

justplugit
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
every day above the ground.......
:hihi: "stayin alive, stayin alive, ahahaha, stayin alive".

Mike P
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
The highlight of this year was just being back home. Where it all began. Which gave me a chance to fish with some old friends on a regular basis, and meet a lot of new ones.

Memorable moment---fishing with Slip, Mac and Backbeach after the Cape leg in July, and having a 25 lb fish somehow trash the drag in my Nautil, to the point it was running downcurrent like the new world record, having it find the bottom, on the opposite side of the bridge abutment, somehow come loose, and having to almost handline it back in, around the abutment, because the reel had no drag pressure, and finding out that 50# Big Game braid is pretty good stuff in the process.

I ordered my Saltiga the next morning ;) :humpty:

Sluggoslinger
11-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Mid July I got some fresh sand eels from a friend on the board (thanks P.) woke up got on my boat and met Little Round and BasicPattrick on the way out in Alan's boat. We fished a couple spots getting a keeper here and there and then decided to go for a jog to a spot we hadn't tried yet this year. About half way there alan pulled back the throttle and said he wanted to try right here because it looked fishy.

I threw a sand eel over on my super light St Croix noodle rod and in about 10 seconds it bent over and the drag was just screaming. It was a 26lb fish that was a great fight on light tackle. We stayed there for the rest of the tide and everyone hooked up on every drift. We also found a great spot that continued to produce in the following weeks and I smoked a great cigar thanks to Pattrick.:smokin:

Flaptail
11-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Okay, I'll try this.

#1 Hexing Numbskull's boat and ending up stranded in big bass heaven with nothing to do but fish and catch all night long.

#2 Motoring slowly along Sandy Necks shore at low tide in June on a hot sunny still morning, seeing a fish in the twenty pound range cruising in a foot of water, landing the skiff ahead of it, jumping out with my 8 foot St. Croix with ten pound braid and a six inch sluggo and casting to her, have her come back twice and finally take it, then landing her and realeasing her.

#3 Having Karl in the skiff and him endlessly pointing and mumbling in near hysteria to fish at the "Aquarium" hole on the east bar and munching a yummy Italian grinder while watching bass swim under the boat.

#5 Seven non-consecutive nights in September under a starlit sky on a Truro beach with no one but myself or whoever was with me and taking bass like the old days on a deserted beach then calling Stiffy at 4 in the morning to giddily sing and babble about how good it was.

#6 Sitting munching fried Shrimp and Clams under the overhang at the Clam Bar in Kennebunkport Maine at noon with my wife while staring into the water and watching bass of all sizes grub the mussels under the pilings.

#7 Fishing with Tagger, Slingah and Numbskull in Boston Harbor while 747's roared over our heads from Logan.

#8 Catching a huge Smallmouth bass over 6 pounds on my ultralight in Great Pond in Truro in a snowstorm while trout fishing and against friends advice to enter it for the State Pin prize, letting her go.

#9 Being 35 miles east of Chatham with Stiffy and Lafleur trolling for tuna while at least 30 whales of 4 different species breaching and coming completely out of the water and catching bass and bluefish on the spreader bars way out there.

#10 Just being alive and being able to live and fish on Cape Cod, I couldn't imagine how it would be to live anywhere else.

ProfessorM
11-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Highlight for me was being in and around Barnstable Harbor in the tin boat at least 3 times a week all season long and the 3 days of endless 35 lb fish on Scorton Ledge in Sept.

Rappin Mikey
11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd say the highlight of my year was being able to fish with my father as much as I did. I haven't gotten to fish so much with him since I was a young lad. The big difference now is we can enjoy a few beers together.:cheers:

crash
11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Watching my fiance reel in her first striped bass, a 30' keeper, then her 2nd ever striped bass, the fattest 44" bass I have ever seen. I also fished with a few other people who I put on their first bass, I think I like watching that more than I like catching them myself. well, almost.

bart
11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
1. fishing new spots (thanks Chef, Redlite, Back Beach, ITS)

2. waiding neck deep after knee surgery with Redlite

3. popping my canal cherry with Back Beach (that doesn't sound
right :yak: )

4. having a cove named after me :hihi:

5. fishing with my good buddy justin (jplugz21) almost every
thursday night for 2 months

tattoobob
11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
To Many to list, basically great fall, crappy spring & summer unless you count Bluefish

steve
11-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Although it was a disappointing season overall, I will certainly miss a chance at a striper. It's going to be a Long winter.

Al in Westport
11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi All,

After not having a boat for 25 or so years I got myself a pretty red one this Spring. I have been fishing with friends for the past couple of years but there is nothing like being able to go when the urge hits. I am semi-retired so it was nice to be able to launch during the week when the ramp, only two miles from my home, is less crazy.

Overall the year was slow and spotty, for me at least. But one day about three weeks ago I saw something I have never seem before. A full blown Blitz. I got out at dawn and headed toward my favorite spot, Gooseberry Island here in Westport. I couldn’t believe my eyes. There were birds working from the campground to Hen and Chickens, almost solid birds going crazy over a mixture of Bass and Blues...for miles. I came home with two keeper bass of moderate size and three Blues, the largest of which weighed 14 pounds. All this on my lightest 7 foot rod with popping plugs. Buy-the-way, there was only one other boat within sight the whole time.

We have all seen birds working over fish, but in all my 65 years I have never seen such action. What fun!

Al