View Full Version : Revers Atom 40

luds
11-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I have one of these NIP that has the wholes so it fills with water. I was just curious what you guys think of this plug and how it is normally fished. It's in newer packaging so it's not one that would have value as far as I know.

Joe
11-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Good product to lose money on.

capesams
11-02-2006, 05:23 PM
If it is indeed an atom 40[should say on the top of the cardboard] they'll run say 10.00 for orange[color] on up from there.The amber one's work very well when fished right.

luds
11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
If it is indeed an atom 40[should say on the top of the cardboard] they'll run say 10.00 for orange[color] on up from there.The amber one's work very well when fished right.

That's what I thought on the value. The only reason I have it is that it was part of a lot on freak bay. I got it with 3 atom swimmer s(white, blue swirl, and orange) for $25. I thought it was a good deal. I love the swimmers but I'm not to sure about the reverse.

Canalman
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
I have one, I;ve never caught on it, but it works kinda like an unwieldy pencil popper... looks like a drunk, parapalegic in trying to swim back to shore :uhoh:

fishaholic18
11-03-2006, 08:52 AM
I have one, I;ve never caught on it, but it works kinda like an unwieldy pencil popper... looks like a drunk, parapalegic in trying to swim back to shore :uhoh:

Kinda like you when u fell off the dock??? Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.

Flaptail
11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
As I am sure Capesams will attest, during the late forties and early fifties this was the go to plug of surfcasters fishing the daybreak and evening tides along the Capes sandy shores. When I was doing the chrterboat Mate thing in the mid seventies we always had them rigged on the spinning rods in Cape Cod Bay when squid used to invade Billingsgate Shoal at the end of June. There were two years in particular, that being 74/75 where on July 4th week there were tremendous blitzes of huge bass on Billingsgate where all the Chaterboats from Rock Harbor, Barnstable, and Wellfleet were doing nothing but drifting and casting Reverse Atoms. One memorable trip on the Seawitch had four Brothers from Palmer MA. landing 26 fish with four being better than fifty pounds all on Amber, Wine and Purple reverse Atoms. All the other fish were better than 25 pounds.

The reverse is still a great plug. I take a few to Middleground each June and they catch like crazy, especially the wine colored ones.

Flaptail
11-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I forgot to add that I have plenty of the old ones. The newer ones made in the last few years by whoever makes them now suck.

Karl F
11-03-2006, 10:56 AM
When you talk to the Senior Angler.. and D.S... ask them to tell of the turning around of the A-40, in the 40's.. D.S. should get some of the credit for that...according to the Seniopr Angler.

Canalman
11-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Kinda like you when u fell off the dock??? Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.

No that was more like a drunk quadrapalegic :o

Flaptail
11-03-2006, 01:04 PM
When you talk to the Senior Angler.. and D.S... ask them to tell of the turning around of the A-40, in the 40's.. D.S. should get some of the credit for that...according to the Seniopr Angler.

And Leo Perry of Cherry Valley MA was the inspiration for the whole thing. I actually had the plug Woolner mentioned in his book(s) on loan to me from the Perry Bros. That Leo made from the Mahogany dust brush in his buggy at High Head that day. Complete with leather tentacles and tack eyes that inspired the squid plug craze. Cept, the boys were there with their Dad Leo, Arnold Laine and a few others and Woolner got his info second hand.

I called the Senior Angler this morning and left a message for him.

Joe
11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes...the old ones were superb....
This would be a good plug for one of the custom guys to start making.....

gone fishin
11-03-2006, 09:13 PM
We used to fish the reverse in the ditch when the squid were running. It caught some large - I still have my green & amber, lost the red and never replaced it. I wouldn't use them now for fear of loosing them.
When filled with water they cast a mile with a squidder.:bounce:

numbskull
11-03-2006, 09:24 PM
I think I posted this before, but I know a guy who (in the mid 90's) took a reverse atom, took off the tail hook, crimped on an egg sinker, put a big eelskin over it, threw it near Squibnocket, in November, at night, and had a 54lb fish eat it. Something different.