View Full Version : New Reel Advice

ChiefLinesider
11-06-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm sure some people have seen this post title more than they'd like to...but....

I have had my mind set on buying a VS200 for the past year or so. Saved up the money but Ive recently read alot of situations where the case starts to leak oil:eek: .

Is this something that happens to the pre-zebco reels?
Do I need to keep the warranty valid and send it back each year? Is it worth investing the $50+ year?

Any other reel suggestions? First hand experiences?

Any information would be appreciated.... Relative newbie here to the site

Bronko
11-07-2006, 08:30 AM
I'd be interested in this as well. I think a VS 200 will be on my plate this holiday season. Anyone? Pete from SWE? Anybody... Buelher...Buelher...:tooth:

JohnR
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I have not had my 250 long enough (2 years though it is an early model) (or sent it in for service) but they do use O-Rings to seal various places and O-rings do fail, right? Could it be a service issue?

nightprowler
11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
i bought a 250 used at the beg of the summer that was leaking oil, sent it in and it hasn't leaked oil all year....although there is a white grease that started leaking from the main shaft where the spool sits.:huh:
needless to say its going back in a few weeks when i hang em up

chief10
11-07-2006, 10:03 AM
send it back every year. if you don't VS will charge you to re-apply the warranty.

rockyroady
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
So what's the deal if you find a used vs and send it in for yearly/first service? Do they wack you for a crazy first time fee thaen x amount every year after?

tattoobob
11-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I have a low number VS200 and haven't had a problem with it leaking oil,
I wasn't charged anything except the 36.95 for the service, and as long as you send it back once a year fromm when you bought it everything should be covered, even used reels.

There is the shaft problem when the shaft needs to be replaced it will cost up to 200 bucks for the shaft and the new spool, but thats only with the old style drags

nightprowler
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
So what's the deal if you find a used vs and send it in for yearly/first service? Do they wack you for a crazy first time fee thaen x amount every year after?

cost me just under $200, i should have just bought a new one:whackin:

Mike P
11-07-2006, 10:17 AM

They'll probably whack you $200 the first time, but you'll be covered for warranty service. When you send them a reel, I understand the deal is that they don't have to get your prior approval for any repairs/upgrades that cost $200 or less.

I have 2 old style VS, before they went to the supposedly better waterproof drag, titanium shaft and new spool. One of the reasons I never send them in for service is because I want to keep my old drag, stainless steel shaft and old spools. I have a spare spool for each, and once they get their hands on my reel, I'd have 4 useless spools.

piemma
11-07-2006, 11:20 AM
I have a VS250. Sent it in for service last winter and had a problem during the summer (won't go into it but it was major). They paid shipping and fixed it free of charge. I fish real had about 100 nights and I swear by the VS

ChiefLinesider
11-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I have a VS250. Sent it in for service last winter and had a problem during the summer (won't go into it but it was major). They paid shipping and fixed it free of charge. I fish real had about 100 nights and I swear by the VS

what is the turn around time on a major repair/ small repair? Is everything covered under warranty? New spool?

& What numbers are low number VS's?

luds
11-07-2006, 11:39 AM
what is the turn around time on a major repair/ small repair? Is everything covered under warranty?

I would not be concerned about the serial number. They are all quaility IMO. Turn around time varies by time of year. If you send your reel back for yearly service in March it will take 4-6 weeks because every other vs owner is sending it in at the same time. If you send it in earlier it will take closer to two weeks. During the season is even faster because everyone is fishing their reels not sending them in for service. Seems that any guy that has had a major problem has received extremely fast service.

I would check out the VS site for warranty info and read it for yourself. As long as you send it in yearly you should not have any problems and whatever it costs is worth is because you basically get a new reel back every year.

I personally would not buy a used one. Buying used always has some risked involved. Piece of mind is worth an extra $100 to me when you're buying something that expensive.

luds
11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah. What rod/rods are you looking to use the reel on?

ChiefLinesider
11-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I have a stiff 9 foot calstar that I use on the boat. I am also planning on maybe a 1201-m from shore, which would get nearly 90% of the use... Any other rod suggestions for a 95% pluggin set-up, thowing mainly 2 oz plugs up to 3 oz? I have always used my 9 foot from shore, and have never felt I need to go bigger to a 10ft. I don't really need the distance at the places I fish. Any 9 foot suggestions? I am not happy with the action of my current rod (too stiff)

luds
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a stiff 9 foot calstar that I use on the boat. I am also planning on maybe a 1201-m from shore, which would get nearly 90% of the use... Any other rod suggestions for a 95% pluggin set-up, thowing mainly 2 oz plugs up to 3 oz?

If you get a 1201m and are going to use it the most I would go with a VS250. I have a 200 and a 250 and find myself using the 250 the most by far. I think the 250 is perfect on the 1201m.

Back Beach
11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm sure some people have seen this post title more than they'd like to...but....

I have had my mind set on buying a VS200 for the past year or so. Saved up the money but Ive recently read alot of situations where the case starts to leak oil:eek: .

Is this something that happens to the pre-zebco reels?
Do I need to keep the warranty valid and send it back each year? Is it worth investing the $50+ year?

Any other reel suggestions? First hand experiences?

Any information would be appreciated.... Relative newbie here to the site

My 200 leaked, but was repaired under warranty by vanstaal. They replaced the older, red fluid with a less viscous type lube. No problems since. If you want my input, check out the saltiga z4500 for a spinning reel. Very happy with mine, so much so that I bought another. Same price range as a VS 200.

piemma
11-07-2006, 01:15 PM
what is the turn around time on a major repair/ small repair? Is everything covered under warranty? New spool?

I sent my reel in in late December for the yearly maint and had it back in 3 weeks. When I had the major problem I sent it on a Tuesday overnight and had it back the following Monday. So 6 days counting the weekend.
Basically what happened was the handle and side plate came right off of the reel. It seems that there was a bad seal they put in during the yearly maintenance. They effectively rebuilt the entire reel for me. Must have been over 100 parts on the replaced parts list. No charge.
I know $36.95 plus shipping every year seems like alot of money but for service like that I'll keep doing it. I have dropped this reel on rocks fallen with it and had it underwater a ton of times. It has not failed me other than the problem I had.

JeffH
11-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I have both the 150 and 200. The 200 is old style and 150 is older with waterproof drag and internal counter balance. They do not change the shafts unless you request it, although I always state "do not repair beyond $36.95 without consent"

My 200 has original shaft and it works fine I sent it in earlier this year and it came back with a bag of old parts, no extra charge, but still old version. The 150 had problems with the original stainless shaft becoming loose. At first they replaced the shaft sleeve and last year they replaced the shaft with one of the gold Ti-Ni shafts both times no charge.

They are great reels but are a P.I.T.A to maintain.

JoeP
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
If you want my input, check out the saltiga z4500 for a spinning reel. Very happy with mine, so much so that I bought another. Same price range as a VS 200.

I agree with Backbeach. Look closely into the Daiwa Saltigas. My Van Staals leaked oil after 2 seasons so I sold them and bought 2 Saltiga's. After 3 seasons with them I've had no problems and they are very strong, smooth, and durable reels. I bought another this season.

spence
11-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I bought another this season.
So if they're so great...why do you need three? :hee:

-spence

luds
11-07-2006, 02:06 PM

-spence

That's the only way you can get a spare spool.:laugha:

Uncle Rob
11-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm after a new reel for this next season. Has anyone used the Stella 1000 or the 2000? And if so what is it with the manually closed bail? C

Back Beach
11-07-2006, 03:30 PM

-spence

BLING

JoeP
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM

-spence

Are you serious? Isn't it pretty self-explanatory even for your simple mind. Gee, I bought another because they suck...

Go back to your Scuppers blabber...:bl:

Pete_G
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
The oil leakage issue is made out to be much more then it is. It's rare and with a quick rebuild at VS it's gone, no charge if it's within warranty.

It happens, but John R nailed it right on the head. There are gaskets and they can fail but it's not that common. When you think about how hard many VS owners fish and where they fish it's suprising they last like they do. Really the gaskets are a big part of the reason the reel is what it is, simultaneously it's probably it's weakness.

Some leakage is normal. You don't want a river running away from the center shaft, but the reel is supposed to "lose" oil on to the main shaft. It should have a slight gleen from being coated in oil and not too much more. Slow loss where the handle enters the body is normal too. Anything that is literally dripping would be an issue.

The reason VS wants to get reels back yearly is that a fast leaking reel will be running VERY low if it's not out after an average season. A reel that loses very little oil could probably go a very long time. Hard used VS reels that go for a decade before rebuild isn't uncommon.

As for "maintenance" versus a "major repair", it won't be any different. At the factory each reel is completely stripped down, parts are checked, cleaned, replaced if they are outside acceptable tolerances, and then the reel gets put back together. You effectively have a new reel after servicing.

Lastly, to me a "low number" VS when buying used is anything with that stainless shaft. We can debate all day whether the lack of support for old reels based on it is right or wrong but it isn't going to change the fact that the parts for it are either extremely limited or already gone and the upgrade will be expensive. The hit you are going to take on a used reel (with the titanium nitride shaft) will be directly related to how many parts, if any, need to be replaced. If nothing needs to be replaced it will be an inexpensive visit. That to me is the only real risk of buying a used VS with a titanium nitride main shaft.

Uncle Rob, I wouldn't buy a Stella for the surf.

surfer4life52
11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
So do the newer VS's, the ones with the counterweight outside the spool have the titanium shafts??

Thanks
AG

Pete_G
11-07-2006, 05:48 PM
So do the newer VS's, the ones with the counterweight outside the spool have the titanium shafts??

Thanks
AG

The titanium nitride shafts are distinctly gold or bronze colored, that's the only dead giveaway.

I'm not sure exactly when the switch to the external counterweight took place, so it doesn't necessarily indicate a nitride shaft.

Plus there are a number of reels now that have been upgraded, so you can also have fully updated reels with internal counterweights.

ChiefLinesider
11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't buy a Stella for the surf.

Would you get a saltiga for the surf? As often as I go? Or VS?

ChiefLinesider
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm after a new reel for this next season. Has anyone used the Stella 1000 or the 2000? And if so what is it with the manually closed bail? C

The manually closed bail is so that there will not be any issues with it flipping over. You have to close it with your hand. There is still that chance that it could flip during a cast though, and snap off your favorite plug. I havent heard anything good with the stella for the surf.

Pete_G
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Would you get a saltiga for the surf? As often as I go? Or VS?

I've never used a Saltiga for an extended period of time so I can't really comment on it. After taking a real close look at the ones that were in the shop for a while I'd be scared to submerge them in the same way I do a VS. Bottomline is a VS can roll around the bottom of the ocean for a week or two and when it comes out be immediately ready for business.

Getting dunked while changing plugs, going under while being used as a walking stick, or tumbling across the rocks doesn't phase a VS. It's simply built for that.

The Saltiga is NOT built to be a surf reel, but obviously it works well for some. It was intended to be on a boat vertical jigging for tuna and other brutes. Serious fish to sure, but it's not just fish a surf reel has to hold up to.

The stresses the Canal puts on a reel (a spot where the Saltiga seems to dominate) are quite a bit different from what we deal with in Newport, in my opinion.

I think that's part of where reel wars come from. Just like I don't have a clue what I would need in a Canal reel, people don't necessarily see why I love my Van Staals.

ChiefLinesider
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I sure would be bummed though, if it dripped oil after a month or some other problem. Send it back. & have to use my only back up reel (Okuma) thats got issues as well...

Thats what bothers me about VS, is all the small things. Its like owning a car. Where youve got to pay a big sticker price upfront & pay an annual cost ontop of it. And it may not always function when you need it. I would feel at the mercy of my reel.

& THE MAINTENANCE COST IS GOING UP OCT. 1 from 36 to $50...

Pete_G
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I sure would be bummed though, if it dripped oil after a month or some other problem. Send it back. & have to use my only back up reel (Okuma) thats got issues as well...

Thats what bothers me about VS, is all the small things. Its like owning a car. Where youve got to pay a big sticker price upfront & pay an annual cost ontop of it. And it may not always function when you need it. I would feel at the mercy of my reel.

& THE MAINTENANCE COST IS GOING UP OCT. 1 from 36 to $50...

If you pressure them they might cover shipping out, but repair and shipping back wouldn't cost anything since it would be under warranty.

You're going to encounter issues with any reel if you use it enough.

Do a search for Saltiga, especially tlapinski's posts. How's having all the bearings replaced sound? I refuse to believe Saltigas are sealed if that sort of work is needed.

I still feel Van Staals are the least prone to issues and require the least maintenance during the season of any reel you might use in the surf.

ChiefLinesider
11-08-2006, 02:30 AM
You're going to encounter issues with any reel if you use it enough.

Do a search for Saltiga, especially tlapinski's posts. How's having all the bearings replaced sound? I refuse to believe Saltigas are sealed if that sort of work is needed.

I still feel Van Staals are the least prone to issues and require the least maintenance during the season of any reel you might use in the surf.

Saltiga sounds good in some situations, but VS still seems to come out on top, less frills. And i guess even if its another $50 a year. I will just have to buy two less lures a year.:D Worst situation I could sell it, They seem to still bring high dollar amounts, even the older ones. So I would be pretty much renting a reel for $50 a year...yeah.... :rolleyes: Its getting to be that time of night...

vanstaal
11-08-2006, 04:41 AM
well I have the 300 and I did have a problem with it it was binding up so I called them and told them what was going on I sent it out over night on a Mon.got it back on Wed Am @ 915 Haven't had no problems since
I swear by them. when sending it back for repairs they don't call unless it its over 200.00 :btu:

ChiefLinesider
11-08-2006, 11:59 AM
well I have the 300 and I did have a problem with it it was binding up so I called them and told them what was going on I sent it out over night on a Mon.got it back on Wed Am @ 915 Haven't had no problems since
I swear by them. when sending it back for repairs they don't call unless it its over 200.00 :btu:

I thought everything was under warranty?

vanstaal
11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
for the first year it is

RIJIMMY
11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
im confused on the VS warranty, seems like I read different things.

Is it
A. The warranty covers the reel as long as you return it every year for maintenance?
or
B. The warranty is only the first year, regardless of if you send it in yearly?

vanstaal
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
B. The warranty is only the first year, regardless of if you send it in yearly?
This Van Staal fishing reel is warranted for a period of one (1) year from date of the first retail purchase against defects in workmanship and/or materials. This warranty is offered only to the original owner of the reel. Van Staal reserves the right to make all decisions, at its sole discretion, regarding whether a claim qualifies as eligible warranty work. During the warranty period, Van Staal will repair or replace the product, at its option, at no charge to the original purchaser. A dated sales receipt must accompany all warranty claims. The product should be shipped directly to Van Staal at 6109 E. Apache, Tulsa, OK 74115, postage prepaid, insured with the original receipt or other proof of purchase and date of purchase.

This warranty does not cover Van Staal products damaged due to abuse, misuse, corrosion, normal wear and tear, or neglect, or products that have been altered or modified in design or construction. This warranty will be considered VOID if the product has been opened or tampered with or if the water tight seals have been broken.

Van Staal products not covered by this warranty may be sent to Van Staal or any authorized service center for annual service. The cost of annual servicing (as specified from time to time on the Van Staal web site) does not include the cost of certain replacement parts, where required. If additional parts and labor are required, Van Staal will notify the owner before commencing work. To maintain the performance of your reel, it is strongly recommended that you have it serviced annually by Van Staal or an authorized service representative. To have annual service performed by Van Staal, ship directly to Van Staal at 6109 E. Apache, Tulsa, OK 74115, postage prepaid and insured. To receive the location of the nearest authorized service center to you, please call Van Staal at 1-800-718-7335 or visit the online dealer listing by clicking here.

ALL INCIDENTAL AND/OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARE EXCLUDED FROM THIS WARRANTY INSERT. IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO THE LIFE OF THIS WARRANTY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

The warranties described herein shall be the sole and exclusive warranties granted by Van Staal and shall be the sole and exclusive remedy available to the purchaser. Correction of defects, in the manner and time period described herein, shall constitute complete fulfillment of all liabilities and responsibilities of Van Staal to the purchaser with regard to this product, and shall constitute full satisfaction of all claims, whether based on contract, negligence, strict liability or otherwise. Van Staal shall not be liable or in any way responsible for any damages or defects caused by repairs or attempted repairs performed by anyone other than an authorized servicer. Nor shall Van Staal be liable, or in any way responsible, for any incidental or consequential property damage. Van Staal reserves the right to amend or change this warranty at any time.

THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH MAY VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

The provisions of this Warranty are in addition to, and not a modification of, or a subtraction from, the statutory warranties and other rights and remedies contained in any applicable legislation. To the extent that any provision of this Warranty is inconsistent with any applicable law, such provision shall be deemed voided or amended as necessary, to comply with such law.
About Van Staal | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2006 a W.C. Bradley Company

k.

RIJIMMY
11-08-2006, 03:27 PM
thanks VS, so other than routine mainenance, why would you send it in every year?????????
I got a new one 5 months ago, works fine for me, I was under teh impression I had to send it in this year, or else....

Mike P
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
And just what do they consider "normal wear and tear" items? ;)

vanstaal
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
And just what do they consider "normal wear and tear" items? ;)E-MAIL: information@vanstaal.com

PHONE: (toll free) 1-800-718-7335
call them and ask .

vanstaal
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks VS, so other than routine mainenance, why would you send it in every year?????????
I got a new one 5 months ago, works fine for me, I was under teh impression I had to send it in this year, or else....

you are welcome and u will love it for shure !! :kewl:

Redsoxticket
11-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Maintain your own reel after the first year.
Your going to pay for parts that need replacing anyway.
Does VS have a price for replacement of parts if you choose to repair your own reel besides oil and seals?
I "doubt" it because they would rather have sole control and if they do then it is probably an outrageous price.

ChiefLinesider
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I thought that that if you have the reel serviced each year, the warranty gets extended another full year?