View Full Version : surfers

vanstaal
11-10-2006, 09:37 AM
was fishing in my regular spot this am and all of a sudden this clown surfer decides to put in right on the side of me I just didn't know what to say to this person I was shocked couldn't even wast my time on him
to say the least it is a good thing there were no fish.I just don't get it !! can someone please help me understand. :eyes:

gone fishin
11-10-2006, 10:37 AM
About a 3 1/2 oz. weight bounced off the bum would usually give a message. :jump: Coastline scarce there?? :devil:

Pt.JudeJoe
11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Surfers and surf fishermen like the same big water.Since it is not an every day occurance, they both are passionate about being there to take advantage of it ,and neither one is willing to give it up. Personally ,I have fished in big water right among surfers and found that they don't bother the fish too much. In fact they have occasionally told me that there were fish out there.We can co-exist with them,you just have to time your casts and keep an eye on them.They are gone when it gets dark too.

BigFish
11-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I usually toss a 4 ounce Hopkins (or the equivalent size Point Jude) or a brightly colored pencil in the 3 ounce vacinity they may get the message....if that doesn't do the trick...some good old fashioned foul language and name calling will!:splat: :af: :realmad: I hate surfers that do that....ignorant bastards!

BigFish
11-10-2006, 11:01 AM
A little courtesy....if I was fishing there and they showed up and did not extend me the courtesy of the spot given that I was there.....its just downright rude! I would not show up and fish where they were surfing!!!!

baldwin
11-10-2006, 12:40 PM
They're a great fight on a 10-weight!

tattoobob
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
I usually toss a 4 ounce Hopkins (or the equivalent size Point Jude) or a brightly colored pencil in the 3 ounce vacinity they may get the message....if that doesn't do the trick...some good old fashioned foul language and name calling will!:splat: :af: :realmad: I hate surfers that do that....ignorant bastards!

Come on Larry it's there Ocean

slow eddie
11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
thursday when the waves were 14ft. easy, at the lighthouse, there were only two surfers in the water. asked a young surfer why he wasn't out there and he said it's too rough. puddle jumpers, or2ft. waves are all they can handle. i have been known to throw 3oz. swimmers at the ones who get in front of me. there's something about 3 no.4 trebels coming at them that makes them move.

OSSCA
11-10-2006, 04:33 PM
They're a great fight on a 10-weight!:biglaugh:

OSSCA
11-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I've never had a problem with the surfers,I have had swimmers and dogwalkers decide to jump in /play fetch with fido right where i'm casting.:af:

Swimmer
11-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Ya, I'm sure the place was crowded right. So crowded the only available access was right next to vanstall. It was and is rude to do what the windsurfer did. :hs:

ChiefLinesider
11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Not every surfer is a surfcaster & doesnt understand the rules of the shoreline when it comes to fishing. They don't know when to pack it up & move somewhere else. I think they simply just don't understand & feel they have just as much of a right to be there as the fishermen (which they do).:huh:

There's a blitz among 15 surfers, youve got all your gear on & you walk down to the beach. You gonna cast, or turn around and go somewhere else?

Equivalent: The surf is up, you got your wetsuit & board, its one of your favorite waves to ride. You gonna go home cause someone is fishing?

basswipe
11-11-2006, 07:22 AM
I've never had a problem with the surfers,I have had swimmers and dogwalkers decide to jump in /play fetch with fido right where i'm casting.:af:

I seem to attract the dog walkers.

MarshCappa
11-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Not every surfer is a surfcaster & doesnt understand the rules of the shoreline when it comes to fishing. They don't know when to pack it up & move somewhere else. I think they simply just don't understand & feel they have just as much of a right to be there as the fishermen (which they do).:huh:

There's a blitz among 15 surfers, youve got all your gear on & you walk down to the beach. You gonna cast, or turn around and go somewhere else?

Equivalent: The surf is up, you got your wetsuit & board, its one of your favorite waves to ride. You gonna go home cause someone is fishing?

Very well said. As mentioned earlier we should learn to co-exist. We're 2 specialty activities that have a lot of unwritten rules to follow. Good ole common sense is sometimes lacking these days. If I saw a surfer coming in my casting area I would explain what the risk for him/her is.

hulkyj61
11-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Ok i see 2 sides of this. 1) locals have the right of way. If i go and surf a new beach im gonna stay away form the local fishermen and not get in the way of the local surfers. 2) who was there first. If a surfer is in the area dont throw a line out and if theres a line out dont paddle out.

I know this is how the locals do it where i surf and fish, but tourists and day trippers dont seem to kno any of the rules let alone common ediquate.

The golden rule here is "Respect gets respect." It's plain and simple. And if I get a line thrown at me while surfing you can bet your @$$ im takin the plug on the end of it.

jkswimmer
11-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Did this guy still have his tire valves when he left?:jester:Thats one way to get even.

zimmy
11-13-2006, 09:16 AM
thursday when the waves were 14ft. easy, at the lighthouse, there were only two surfers in the water. asked a young surfer why he wasn't out there and he said it's too rough. puddle jumpers, or2ft. waves are all they can handle. .

Sounds like that kid was pretty smart. THe last thing you want is an inexperienced surfer in rough water at a dangerous place like that. Anything over 6' gets hairy. And if it was 14', that is well into the range of experts only.

RIROCKHOUND
11-13-2006, 09:36 AM
I dont condone what happened to VS, I saw him shortly after and we agreed that had there been fish it would have been different...

I dont surf but know some surfers.. and you would be amazed at the similarity.. the secrecy between spots for locals, the problems with access, the concern for the health and cleanliness of the water and shoreline... even the sense of 'spot entitlement' :D

Hell you think RISAA and similar clubs do alot for the shoreline.. take a look at surfrider..

Raven
11-13-2006, 10:03 AM
so to win the battle of surfer vs fisherman

you build a fish finder into their surfboards

flat... flush with the deck...

and they can tell you where the fish are....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/fishfinderboards.jpg

Adamfishes
11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
with the rising number of seals in the water I'm sure there will be something out there helping the fisherman:spidey:

pmueller
11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
In Jersey this was a big problem. Some of these kids have death wishes. You'ld be into bass for half hour or so then all of a sudden some dude is in the surf your fishing. Especially around the jetties.
One guy took some of the advice the general fishing public had to offer, he threw a piece of metal with a single hook. Caught the surfer on the back and set it.
The surfer after medical attention and then sought legal advice and sued the fisherman for a substantial amount of money, and won.
Yes, we can co-exist. Extreme attitudes on both sides of the fence do not help the situation at all.
It all boils down to a little respect, like who got there first.

vanstaal
11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
In Jersey this was a big problem. Some of these kids have death wishes. You'ld be into bass for half hour or so then all of a sudden some dude is in the surf your fishing. Especially around the jetties.
One guy took some of the advice the general fishing public had to offer, he threw a piece of metal with a single hook. Caught the surfer on the back and set it.
The surfer after medical attention and then sought legal advice and sued the fisherman for a substantial amount of money, and won.
Yes, we can co-exist. Extreme attitudes on both sides of the fence do not help the situation at all.
It all boils down to a little respect, like who got there first.

My point :btu:

MakoMike
11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Now we have the first documented cases of surf rage? No different than taking out a gun and shotting someone who cut you off on the road. %$%$%$%$%$%$%$s will always be arond, lighten up and enjoy yourself, life is too short.