View Full Version : Moving to RI...Will it suck changing over my vehicle info??

Skip N
11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Ok so i'm moving from Mass to an Apartment in RI. How much is it going to suck changing all my driving info over to all RI stuff?? New License,registration etc. Am I in for a looong ass time at the RMV trying to get this crap squared away?

Never done this before so any info on changing over this kinda stuff is appreciated!

How about becoming a RI resident? How does that all work?

Ooops this wa meant for the scuppers...can someone move this please!?

Nebe
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
join AAA. registration and liscence will take you about 10 minutes.

wheresmy50
11-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I moved to RI a few years ago (before I moved back to PA). Yes, changing the stuff over sucks.

If you vehicle is still being paid for, you'll need a copy of the title. You'll also need to bribe a cop to read your VIN and give you a permission slip to register your vehicle. They only accept said bribes for about 2 hours a day, so plan on a vacation day. Since you're coming from a state that taxes your car as property, at least you won''t have that nice little surprise.

Definitely get your ducks in a row before even thinking about going to the DMV. All the requirements are on the internet.

Skip N
11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
join AAA. registration and liscence will take you about 10 minutes.

I have AAA, how do i go about doing this through them?

spence
11-16-2006, 12:46 PM
CALL AAA

-spence

Skip N
11-16-2006, 12:49 PM
CALL AAA

-spence

Oh yeah :smash:

There's a AAA office down the street also, i'll stop in tomorrow

spence
11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
There's a AAA office down the street also, i'll stop in tomorrow
Don't do that, I'm sure we can provide much better support here in the Scuppers.

-spence

Bronko
11-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Ok so i'm moving from Mass to an Apartment in RI. How much is it going to suck changing all my driving info over to all RI stuff?? New License,registration etc. Am I in for a looong ass time at the RMV trying to get this crap squared away?

Never done this before so any info on changing over this kinda stuff is appreciated!

Ooops this wa meant for the scuppers...can someone move this please!?

Are you and Spence going to flip a coin to see who gets the big room?

Will there be carpooling to and from the surf? If Spence cooks...will you clean?

Nothing like a good roomie!:buds:

Pete_G
11-16-2006, 03:20 PM
I moved to RI a few years ago (before I moved back to PA). Yes, changing the stuff over sucks.

If you vehicle is still being paid for, you'll need a copy of the title. You'll also need to bribe a cop to read your VIN and give you a permission slip to register your vehicle. They only accept said bribes for about 2 hours a day, so plan on a vacation day. Since you're coming from a state that taxes your car as property, at least you won''t have that nice little surprise.

Definitely get your ducks in a row before even thinking about going to the DMV. All the requirements are on the internet.

My advice would be EXACTLY the same as the above as my experience was exactly the same. Prepare to take time out of work. I laughed at someone when they told me it might be a 3 day process, but, they were right.

Double check on the AAA thing, I thought that was only for renewals. Unless it's recent it is, because I gave it a try last year when I moved from MA to RI and ended up standing in line like everyone else at the DMV.

fish4striper
11-16-2006, 03:35 PM
wed or thurs, 1st thing in the morning right before they open line up, otherwise 2-3 hrs

Mike P
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
When did RI stop taxing cars as personal property? :confused:

It took me all of 10 minutes to transfer my registration from NY to Mass. That included the waiting time as well as the time at the counter. Many times, you can walk right into the Falmouth office and get waited on immediately. Title, lien discharge documentation and an affidavit that I paid the sales tax to NY when I first bought it was all I needed. Took me more time to change the plates than to get them. Changing my license over was more of a hassle in this post 9/11 era.

Yeah, that killer Mass. excise tax was something like $45 for a 2002 vehicle.

MakoMike
11-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I did it through DMV about 5 years ago. wasn't bad, but I went to a satellite DMV office, not the monster with the huge lines. I had to wait maybe an hour and got everything transferred over. You can get the forms ahead of time and fill them out at home.

afterhours
11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Skip N

you have to give me $50 and only then will i submit your application to our immigration man - spence. :grins: :bgi:

Mike P
11-16-2006, 06:26 PM
I think there's a RI citizenship exam involved, too.

Here's some sample questions from the last one:

1) Salty Brine's real first name was:

a) Saltonstall
b) Walter
c) Herman
d) Edward

2) The distance one has to travel to work to be considered as having a "traveling job" is:

a) one mile
b) five miles
c) twenty miles
d) anything that's too far to walk

3) A drink made from ice cream and milk is called a:

a) milk shake
b) frappe
c) cabinet
d) malted

4) The weather event that still causes everyone to run to Cumbies to buy milk and bread was:

a) Hurricane Donna
b) Hurricane Bob
c) the Blizzard of 1978
d) the Flood of 1955

5) The name of Salty Brine's dog was:

a) Sparky
b) Poopdeck
c) George
d) Jeff

True/False.

6) Having a felony conviction disqualifies you from being elected Mayor of Providence.

a) True
b) False

basswipe
11-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Trust me I'm a freakin' PRO when it comes to this out of state crap.

Before you can register you have to transfer the title to a RI title if vehicle is less than 10yrs old.After this being done you must have the local police do a VIN check and this applies regardless of the vehichle year if it comes from out of state. These two steps combined can take anywhere from 1 week to 3 months depending on your situation and being a AAA member makes no difference whatsoever.

As far as becoming an RI resident this is tit...show proof of address and former state driver liscense at the DMV and you're a resident.Make sure
you do this first.

Raider Ronnie
11-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Who in their right mind would want to move from Ma. to R.I. ???:doh:

afterhours
11-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Who in their right mind would want to move from Ma. to R.I. ???:doh:

rodger williams.

The Iceman 6
11-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Rodger Williams/Roger Williams...it's all ball bearings. This coming from a member of last class to graduate from Roger Williams College before it changed over to a University and all.....I miss that campus...

Ice

fishpoopoo
11-17-2006, 04:07 PM
If it's any consolation, the turnaround on concealed weapons permits is only TWO WEEKS in Rhode Island (if issued through the Attorney General's office).

Compare that with 3-4 months for all Mass LTC's (be they resident or temporary non-resident).

:hihi:

Redsoxticket
11-17-2006, 05:42 PM
call your auto insurance agent for information they should set you straight

Raider Ronnie
11-17-2006, 07:30 PM
call your auto insurance agent for information they should set you straight

Is auto ins even mandatory in R.I. ???

fishaholic18
11-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Is auto ins even mandatory in R.I. ???

Yup

Saltheart
11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
I love the questions Mike!! :)

Providence people are realistic. Why would you disqualify the best Mayor in the history of the city just because of a few felony convictions? Unfortunately , by the time he gets out of the federal pen. , I think he'll be too old to consider another run. I love the way the new mayor is cashing in on all the good things Buddy got rolling for him.

Say goodnight Jeff! :)

Springtides
11-20-2006, 05:20 PM
You can try this it might help.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/