View Full Version : le poison poisson?

MikeTLive
11-18-2006, 01:31 PM
translates to: poison fish. (or maybe fish poison?)

I am making a 40th anniversary dinner for my folks.
my brother has issues with like - every food out there.
I decided to do "chefs Choice Surf & Turf"
Im gonna find some kind a fish and some kind a meat.

My bro sent me this link and wants me to go with tilapia or salmon.
- http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=healthalerts

What are your thoughts on fish being toxic?
look at the top two fish to avoid.

striprman
11-18-2006, 01:36 PM
hmm

haddock is my favorite

spence
11-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Tilapia is pretty booring and I think mostly farm raised.

I'd go with a good quality wild salmon.

-spence

tattoobob
11-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Atlantic Salmon, would be the best of the two

spence
11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
One of the easiest and best ways to prepare salmon.

Cut a fillet into 2" wide sections. Arrange two on end on a piece of foil. Drizzle with a little good quality extra virgin olive oil, some pepper and kosher salt and top with a few strips of fresh roma tomato.

Top with another piece of foil and bake for a bit at 350.

-spence

bttfish
11-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Wild Salmon.. Sashimi.... Wasabi & soy sauce.. Thin slice of fresh Salmon.. Side plate of rice.. YUM.... :drool: :jump1: :kewl:

And good for you too... :spin:

labrax
11-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Give your brother some tofu and then serve whatever fish and beef you feel like. If you are going to choose between the two fish - tilapia or Atlantic salmon - then go with the salmon. I would caution you though about getting wild fish rather than farm raised salmon. The farmed raised fish are really packed into those pens, so I have heard that they are given quite a bit of antibiotics. Most of the tilapia are from aquaculture operations as well, like those Idaho trout you see at the local supermarket. Feeding fish a pellet diet does not make for the tastiest meat if you have ever eaten a wild trout vs. following after the hatchery truck you know what I mean.

ChiefLinesider
11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Eat whatever fish you want. The list is for Soccer moms:biglaugh:. Ive eaten striped bass & bluefish around 3 times a month over the spring/summer/fall for years & years. PCB's/mercury, whatever can't be much worse than Burger King/Wendys. And people that eat that can live long productive lives.:hee: What happened to the days when men were men & sheep were sheep? & you'd have to walk uphill both ways to school in 4 feet of snow.

Atlantic Salmon vs. Farm raised, either way you go they are great tasting fish.

scoobe
11-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I've seen other sources online which have the order pretty different... with shark, grouper, tilefish near the top and stripers, blues more toward the middle.

Sturgeon?! Who eats sturgeon? :smash:

Slick Moedee
11-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Don't believe the hype. Usually there are hidden agendas behind these sort of lists. Plenty of science out there that states the benefits of eating a number of fish that are on this 'do not eat' list outweigh any potential risks due to contaminates.

Feed your brother bread and water.

chuckg
11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
My favorite has been to take a big bluefish, either fresh or frozen, douse liberally with italin dressing and wrap the fish and a red kelly brick with aluminum foil. bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Unwrap the foil, throw the bluefish away and eat the brick...

MakoMike
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Just a report out last week from the AMA that says that the benefits of eating fish are much greater than any downside. Why Atlantic salmon? It's all farm raised. Wild pacific salmon is much tastier.

MikeTLive
11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I am gonna do ribs - my pops favorite - and some kind of salmon.
can I trouble any of you for a fresh striper filet? I can show him what hes missing.

I think that a afish that has the whole ocean to swim in has no way that hes going to have more toxins in him than farm raised salmon that ends up with that pile of crap at the bottom of the pens.

likwid
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Wow, with the way that list looks I'm doomed. :hang:

Hey atleast I enjoyed my poison. :hihi:

timf
11-22-2006, 02:32 PM
I just came back from fishing the Salmon River in NY. I do have some steelhead if you want to trade. I don't have much left but send me a pm and we can discuss if you want.