View Full Version : nothing to do w/ striped bass

stiff tip
11-19-2006, 07:10 AM
i went on vacation fishing last wk up to salmon rv and n/s sandy creeks .. got there on sat nov 11@ 9am. rv was high @ 2100 cfs w/ the rain.... normaly good water is about 7or 8oo cfs ... so the rv was high but fishable.... but moved to n/s sandys. looked ok a little hi but nice... fished sat pm untill dark, i had 2 fish on ,lost both at my feet .. sportsman release. 2 outhers no n gone ... we, my fishing buds fish w/ 9or10 ft fly rods w/ fly line or 6or 8 lb mono. on xtra spool.. we fish w/ flys ,nymphs, eggs sacks or devil bugs. etc.sat night rained like hell, till dawn ,not gd.went to ufz upper fly zone water was higher, but came to fish . had 1 fish on 4 about 1 min.n gone. saw 2 more c/r...... moved to n/s sandys @ noon rv were un fishable to hi to muddy to bad.....back at the lodge sun night we (3)now deside to ...bug out.. 4am on mon offto the next honey hole . 4-5 hrs later we land at motel . out fishin @ 10a the rv looked great . tad hi but dropping. got to area known to hold fish . landed 5 had many more on... lots of fish in rv .tues am im on the rv at dark at my spot watting 4 day lite ...early bird gets the spot....my first fish came about 20 min later. sm male about 5lbs. it only got better , buy 11a i landed 15 trout n lost the same... these fish r in sm rvs w/ deep holes and under cuts and lies 2 to 5 ft deep, 15 to 30 ft wide. rvs looks like the upper deerfield or the swift rv ok....tha afternoon new rv 1/2 hr away looks fan- tastic .. fish rv in afternoon up n dwn ,pick 1 here n there i get 5 more on devil bugs .. i,m hot . next daywed back to same rv .. me my buds john l and p.a. tony hit the pool the fish were there , but so were the fisherman . 1 too many 4 me.. i banged 3 fish right off and my spot got a little tighter.... so i moved dwn stream. most of the better lookin rv had guy here and there but not2 bad .i,d look at the best water and hope the fish were there ,..riff raff and lies ...tail waters and the head waters at the falls... i picked n plucked 15 that day .. the sun came out for the afternoon and only 4 a lunch brake it was all day tony stayed@ the pool ,made friends w/ everyone n landed 8 steelies john got 4 lost tons n we fished till way dark in the rain.... not good...am thur. still lt rain off the rv ......holy..sh*t what happend?? the rv went up 16 to 18 in turned into cho-let - chip water..... no more fishing here...sh*T.... o-well... back to salmon rv thur n fri in the rain .. higher faster n muddyer. fish rv anyway @ upper end and c a few fish caught, in the gails n downpoor. fish till dark .. rain all night ... get up pack up , and 1 last time check out the river.. well its over its banks buy a in or 2.. but still guys r fishing in the rain .. not me ,ill take good times n go home..........thanks 4 letting me shair this w/ u .... capt. cupcake:thanks:

ProfessorM
11-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I hope you had a good time Dave. I am not sure as I felt like I was disecting a secret code.

ChiefLinesider
11-20-2006, 01:32 AM
:cheers: :cputin:

:huh:

stiff tip
11-20-2006, 06:30 AM
I hope you had a good time Dave. I am not sure as I felt like I was disecting a secret code.
paul kinda ///sorta
honey holes r hard to find /hard to keep... but me n u r ok.......paul if u ever fished for steelhead trout u would fall in love w/ it ....big fish 3to 15 + lbs on lite fly gearin the rivers .... if the rain didnt fu-k up the waters i would still b there ................ back to the real world....work....o-well ilove my job ...i love my job ..i lovemy..........

JohnR
11-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Clammer - can you translate this :pop: :wave: :laugha: ?

Dave - sounds like a great trip (I think) considering the weather :btu:

stiff tip
11-20-2006, 05:54 PM
it was. john........ comming from worc county i grew up fishing the rvs and steams all over... things have changed there ..the rvs got smaller w/ alot less fish ...its toobad ....but ,the great lakes rivers n creeks ,have some of the best world class steelhead fishing on the east coast ....some day you should try it ......its not ez..its fantastic.... i wish it was closer 4 me