View Full Version : Wow, Nice Rack!

ChiefLinesider
11-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I have a vehicle that was not meant to carry fish or a fisherman. SAAB. I have always just rolled down the back window to haul around my rod, and put a piece of pipe insulation on the top of the window which has worked fine except for the many scratches that have developed. Another thing that haunts me is the power windows (Snap:eek5: ). I have also put a couple of plastic tubs in the trunk to haul back the meat & waders. And at times I want to travel with a couple rods (yes there are other windows). But I think its time to invest in a roof rack. Another vehicle is not an option.

Any nice racks? Creative ideas? Anyone stuck with a car, what do you do?

Gobi
11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Have a Saab, too, and you're right, not meant for fishermen or fishing rods, however, my 10ft 1 pc fits through the back seat - I can pull down middle section offering access to the truck. Is that an option you have? If so, a 10 ft rod just, and I mean just, fits.

Nebe
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
thule makes a nice little pod that clamps down over your reels..

ChiefLinesider
11-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Have a Saab, too, and you're right, not meant for fishermen or fishing rods, however, my 10ft 1 pc fits through the back seat - I can pull down middle section offering access to the truck. Is that an option you have? If so, a 10 ft rod just, and I mean just, fits.

hey ive never tried that. I do have the access to the trunk. That could be a cheap solution. must be tight like you say.

Raven
11-21-2006, 06:33 AM
you can go to a bone yard and find racks on old cars for cheap...

you have to measure your roof length first .....so you'll pick one that'll fit...obviously

the only problem with folding down the rear seat is...road noise and cold
temperatures...

i had to remove mine altogether for it to work....

Salty
11-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Just go out and buy a ski rack.

afterhours
11-21-2006, 07:00 AM
isn't someone giving some away in classified?

ChiefLinesider
11-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Just go out and buy a ski rack.

I think you need some type of kit. Or rack made specifically for fishing. So that the reel is facing up and away from your roof. Unless there is enough distance to accommodate a reel.

crash
11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=36176

Great deal from a real nice guy.

tynan19
11-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Ski racks work great. I keep my reels facing down also.