View Full Version : Who shot their Turkey?

Sluggoslinger
11-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Not me but one year I want to. I figured with a bunch of fisherman on the board, a couple of you must have...

So who done it?

Raven
11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
not for a lack of turkey's...

but they don't often gobble here
on the east coast
so it's harder to call them in...

luds
11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Rosemary Chicken for Turkey day for me and Mom's turkey for Sunday dinner.:huh:

I'm not responsible for the death of either.

JohnR
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Was going to get one from Bro-In-Law. He doesn't shoot em but he raises them over the course of a year and then snaps their necks :rocketem: :pop: :nailem:

chris L
11-22-2006, 11:47 AM
I had turkey monday and a cook out planned for on the beach Thursday . but no I dont hunt , there is no shoot and release yet . paintballs maybe

Rockport24
11-22-2006, 12:06 PM
ya know, I want to kill a wild one some year too... but some non-hunting types I talk to say that wild turkey is terrible and that the kind you get in stores is so much better. Is this true guys?
I mean, I know you have to brine it and all that. But how could a store-bought hormone injected turkey be better than a free-wheelin' happy-go-luckey wild turkey?

Rockport24
11-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Was going to get one from Bro-In-Law. He doesn't shoot em but he raises them over the course of a year and then snaps their necks :rocketem: :pop: :nailem:

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& does that! And I thought is was only cruel to eels!
:rotf2:

fishpoopoo
11-22-2006, 12:14 PM
ya know, I want to kill a wild one some year too... but some non-hunting types I talk to say that wild turkey is terrible and that the kind you get in stores is so much better. Is this true guys?
I mean, I know you have to brine it and all that. But how could a store-bought hormone injected turkey be better than a free-wheelin' happy-go-luckey wild turkey?

Hmmm... I've taken a few with bow and truth be told, for all the effort you go through to harvest and prepare them, yer better off going to the store.

For me, turkey hunting is like surfcasting for false albacore - it's there for the challenge of the hunt more than anything else. Nobody I know eats cooked false albacore with gusto (although I have to admit it's darn good raw).

Most of the wild turkeys around here feed on things like bugs and things like that, so, I dunno.

InTheHole
11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Store bought,, I shot one once, call camo - the whole deal, and it was a lot of fun but with the effort required to pluck that turkey to roast it wasn,t worth the end result. The breast meat was ok but the legs/thighs were pretty chewy. We have a resident flock of 7 that have been hanging out under our bird feeders since August, they walk right by the dog kennels daily and have no fear of my labs and at this point my "hunting" dogs seem to care less.

Mike P
11-22-2006, 12:47 PM
If I wanted wild turkey, I wouldn't have to shoot one--all I'd have to do is set a snare in my back yard :D

Problem is, they've been there since March and at this point, it'd be like eating one of my pets. We've been watching the chicks grow since they were little featherballs.

Jimbo
11-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I never have, but it is definitely something I've thought about pursuing. I had not heard that wild didn't taste good. I've had store bought I brined and it tasted all right, and a fresh killed free range, also brined and superb, but I had read this year that there's also a "heritage" turkey, which is more expensive, probably because it takes years to mature to the point it can be tablefare, but also more flavorful than the domestic white from the supermarket. It's a breed that resulted from domestic turkeys brought from Europe in the 1600's with wild ones in America.

tattoobob
11-27-2006, 11:23 AM
If I wanted wild turkey, I wouldn't have to shoot one--all I'd have to do is set a snare in my back yard :D

Problem is, they've been there since March and at this point, it'd be like eating one of my pets. We've been watching the chicks grow since they were little featherballs.

Us to we have like 25 that show up everyday like clock work.

zimmy
11-27-2006, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Mike P;435580]If I wanted wild turkey, I wouldn't have to shoot one--QUOTE]

...I'd just open my liquor cabinet :gu:

Saltheart
11-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Our turkey was delicious this year. very moist and also the first food I ate at home after almost 3 weeks in asia so it really hit the spot. delicious. It was store bought as always.

basswipe
11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Aquidneck Isle is infested with turkeys.I'm definetly killing my own next year.

Swimmer
11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
With all the crap wild turkeys eat I dont think I would eat one.

Mr. Sandman
11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I did veer the truck and almost got one but ended up buying one at the market.

We have a bunch of wild ones in my 'hood and they always seem to get thinned out this time of year for some reason.

spence
11-28-2006, 10:32 PM
With all the crap wild turkeys eat I dont think I would eat one.
Have you ever seen what commercial birds eat?

-spence

Sluggoslinger
11-29-2006, 02:42 PM

-spence

Probably some food from Omega Protein Inc. The same company that the great conservationalist Bush family has kept in business dispite the obviouse fact that they are killing all the Manhaden that help our eco system in many ways and feed our fish...

I couldn't resist... I hate that company!

jkswimmer
11-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I heard that wild turkey tastes great the only thing is you have to do the frying pot thing.

Jenn
11-29-2006, 06:49 PM

-spence

uhhh...yeah...:sick: massive farms with turkeys packed like sardines in their own pooooooo and yes other dead turkeys. oh and can you picture the canibals (sp?) ??