View Full Version : A little info

The Dad Fisherman
11-23-2006, 11:22 PM
My Dad was cleaning his garage and found a penn 155 in pretty good condition and gave it to me. Just curious about the reel? Good, bad, Indifferent. For sitting in the garage for 20 plus years it still is as smooth as silk

striprman
11-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Change out the line, find a 8-10 foot rod and use it (I put 50 pound mono on the ones I use which is kind of heavy line for that reel).
They are called "beachmasters", for good reason. Simple (not too many levers), non take-apart spool (can't change out the spool) and no "rod clamp" (make sure the rod you choose has a good strong reel seat).
Thats the reel my long departed gramps had on his rod (I still have it, he passed in 1957) and it still works great, just normal maintainance is all thats needed and a change in the "lever mechanism" every 3-4 years.
The reel is like a "poor mans" squidder.

DaveS
11-24-2006, 08:54 AM
I have caught tons of bass with a Penn 155, some big ones too ;). It's the reel I learned to fish conventional on, loaded up with Gudebrod #27 squidding line if ya remember that stuff :uhuh: . Was a wonderful reel to fish with, nice and light, and very durable as far as mechanics. Only thing I recommend is that you change out the drag for some new HT's or Smoothies (I think they make em for the 155?).