View Full Version : what is your biggest "surf" caught bass???

dredey
11-24-2006, 11:24 PM
:spidey: let's hear your fish story. what is, and where, did you catch your biggest "surf" caught bass? mine was only a #27 pounder caught at the canal, but with the current it felt like a #50 pounder. i've caught bigger fish on a boat but that's for a different thread. (shore caught fish only please). i always love a good fish story.:btu: :btu:

eelman
11-25-2006, 05:51 AM
53 pounds...October 28th 1998, It was about 8pm and was on a live eel. There were many there in the high 30lb class that night also, When Joe and I left (After catching that fish I could not fish anymore) I called Steve and told him to get down there, He showed up an hour later and nailed a 45lber The Big bass were there for only those two nights . Those 2 nights were the single best nights I have ever had with numbers of big fish caught and it never was quite that good again. Almost stayed home that first night because the conditions were terrible .Just one of those nights. That was at Napatree point in Westerly.The Next night Was very good also and Tim Coleman landed a 47 pound fish. There were only 5 of us that fished there those two nights, the other guy who did good was a member here who I have known for a long time "JeffH" Great guy and he would fish the early morning shift and he did well also. It was something to say the least! Back then it was Me, Joe Flip, Steve, Tim Coleman and Jeff....I am sure none of us will forget it !

bobber
11-25-2006, 07:45 AM
biggest surf-caught fish came this fall from the beach in Westbrook CT; about 46" and prolly close to 40 pounds. fish had been loading up on bunker for months along the entire Connecticut coast. the fishing this past season in CT was just unbeleiveable- 40" fish were pretty much an "every night" thing- and plenty of them- but not that many above 44". this fish grabbed a Mr Wiggly plug (couldn't get a touch on any of my dannys) and proceeded to show me whose boss for about 10 minutes............. then I showed her:bl:
after that it was a struggle to get her back to the beach (lotsa rocks on the point I was fishing, and my headlamp dies after the first few minutes:realmad: ) when I got back to my car, 2 chicks driving home from the bar stopped and gauked at the fish (the booze smell was knockin' me over.........) to top off my night.

3 days later the "big blow" came through (last weekend of October) and things never recovered..........

steve
11-25-2006, 08:44 AM
51 pounds Block Island, bill is right. that place was on fire those two nights.

niko
11-25-2006, 09:54 AM
46# at race pt about 6 years ago. it was october and there were waves of bluefish hitting the beach all day. we had emptied out our tackle boxes and took a ride to nelsons to restock. when we came back there were fish for as far as the eye could see up and down the beach. i was getting tired of loosing lures but there was no way to work the edges - there was no edge. i noticed some big shadows in the 1st wave, so i start throwing at them.the water couldn't have been 2' deep. the line comes tight and it's on.this is my 1st large so i tell myself to calm down and let her do her thing. after a few swhe is on th beach and a few guys are coming over to check her out. i'm shaking w/ excitement and need to re-tie because i can see more fish in the wash. so it takes me forever to retie and next thing you know,back to back fish of 46 and 43 lbs. those were the only stripers i caught that day.

Slingah
11-25-2006, 10:02 AM
44lbs......51.5"......backside of the cape.....June '03......just the one fish....skinny girl....live eel

tattoobob
11-25-2006, 10:38 AM
This year (there are to many years to think back on) 32 pounds Salty's needle fish At Block Island I think it was Sept. but I went out for the night to meet Luds and his friend scott. no real story just cast out and the fish took the plug. That was and has been the hot plug over there for me.

numbskull
11-25-2006, 02:18 PM
45#, Gay Head, summer, Gibbs yellow needle, @1988.

ProfessorM
11-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Late Oct., 1990, Osterville, Ma., First nite 48 lbs., next nite 58.5 lbs. Live eels. Been on that rock, late Oct., every year since with nothing large to show. BTW that larger one had absolutely nothing in its stomach.

numbskull
11-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Late Oct., 1990, Osterville, Ma., First nite 48 lbs., next nite 58.5 lbs. Live eels. Been on that rock, late Oct., every year since with nothing large to show. BTW that larger one had absolutely nothing in its stomach.

WOW! Not what I'd consider a big fish spot. 58.5 is a helluva fish for Vineyard Sound. Just goes to show.

LINESIDES
11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
12 Pounds!: Later, L

Hooper
11-25-2006, 06:39 PM
These are some really cool stories! Those big fish have me looking towards next year already!

My biggest bass is 40# caught from the surf at Monomoy Point, October 31st, 1985 at age 13.

I was a freshman at Cape Cod Tech and in the commercial fisheries program with Dana Eldridge. One night a year, he would take us to the tar paper shack on Monomoy and we would explore the island, surf fish the point and generally have a great time. We cooked hot dogs and marshmallows, hiked to the lighthouse, fished the freshwater ponds for largemouth bass, and chased deer.

On the morning of the 31st, I woke at daybreak after sleeping in the dunes in our sleeping bags. I hiked to the point to find the tide in full flood, roaring hard. I threw an eel uptide letting it drift through the rip a few dozen times before hooking my fish. Within ten minutes, I dragged the biggest bass I'd ever seen up onto the sand. I will never forget that feeling. Then, I had to drag her to our boat which was a mile north of the point, no easy task! But I had bragging rights on that trip home.

That remains to this day, one of my greatest memories of my life.

Clogston29
11-25-2006, 07:18 PM
36 lbs on a black 9" sluggo

Brother Brian
11-25-2006, 11:47 PM
33 lbs to the right of the light at Montauk on a yellow darter

Nebe
11-26-2006, 07:37 AM
37 lbs one one of my needlefish- 2nd and 3rd largest have all been caught on habs needles :D

CAL
11-26-2006, 10:41 AM
34# on a large pogie chunk in'98. Largest on a plug is 32# at the same spot the next week on a white Gibbs danny. Haven't been able to fish there in a number of years because it's a tow zone 2 miles in every direction with a $250 fine :wall:

Well now that I think of it, maybe I could have a cab drop me off :think:

NIB
11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
I have yet to break 40.I have alot of 30's with 2- 39 an change fish.all but a few livelined bunker fish came on lures.Some epic battles like the first 30 lber i caught 40 ft above the water.My first canal 30.My best 39#10oz in a 5 knot current at home.lots of fun.I think i remember the one i lost this yr much bigger than all of em the most..i remember the eyball like a grapfruit.the fins being very far apart..The mangled hooks.Good hooks.just out of reach..I maybe had a chance if i got down off the top of the jetty an tried to get her.I was just in shock.An that don't usually happen..Oh well.There's always next time..

Pt.JudeJoe
11-26-2006, 11:32 AM
40 #- Oct. 5, 2002 in Newport. Very big water that night and I was backed up on the rocks a good ways.Not a soul around ,just me and the ocean and sky.Fished for 2 hours without a hit .I had just reeled in my bait to check it and looked at the somewhat used looking pogy chunk and said to myself "##$%^% it ,I'm throwin this piece back out ,nothin hitting anyways." On the way down it gets whacked! " @!#!$ bloooofish!!" I thought......then a screaming lonnnng run...." NOT a bloooofish!!"
I can still see it like it was last night...Holding the rod and letting the fish tire itself after the 2nd run ...looking up at the stars ,hearing the waves crashing all around me, and just savoring the moment ,.....because this is why I do it.

LeCounts1099
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
41 lbs., Oct. 23, 2000: Cape/ Truro. Live Eel, 17 lb. mono...

I've written before here about the phenomenal Cape Bass Falls I experienced between 1998- 2002 (pre- seal party), which featured truly unbelievable #'s of 12- 25 lb. fish... while 35#+' ers were very rare. I caught at least 1000 bass (& released all as usual!) during those years there-- & none bigger than 33lbs., until/ except this one!

Typically, it was a solitary fish during a slow night. Was very cold by then (32 degrees that night), & most had figured it was "done" on- Cape & quit. I had several mid- 20 lb. fish the prev. two nights on this my last trip on- Cape, and was giving it one more night before relocating to NY/ M. for the rest of the Fall. Scouted Ballston during that day, & saw small Herring washed up all over the beach in big #'s chased by small Blues. Some locals were there catching, but I just noted to come back late that night on the "right" tide with Eels, when hopefully Ballston would be empty & comfortable to fish.

It was! -- one truck in the lot when I arrived, & he was just leaving hitless... But after 1.5 hours of my casting a big Eel without a hit, I figured they were the smart ones warm at home. Kept at it, & half an hour later I had my hit! Great fight on 17#, a quick weighing on my hand- scale, & back she went! (this was before I knew weighing damaged Bass potentially meant for release. I'm now experimenting with a net/ cradle weighing system for horizontal/ supported weighing & release on my boat, & may soon adapt if for surf/ carrying). She was the only Cape- caught Striper I ever had that managed to (half) open a 5/0 Gak Octopus hook! -- luck (& rel. light tackle) was on my side w/ her! :smokin:

As I'm a hold-out (weirdo?) who insists on staying strictly with mono.-- rarely over 20 lb. test-- I have hooked and lost many bigger Bass (including one this Sept. on a Lifishinvt Darter at M.!)... But that's all another story!... :cputin:

thefishingfreak
11-26-2006, 12:26 PM
25 pounds. then i figured out how to catch sandbar sharks off the same beach.
25 pounds or 90 pounds? :huh: i'll go for 90#:humpty:

boat 42#

jkswimmer
11-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I only target small fish.

CapeDawg
11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Back when International Scouts ruled the sand I used to go fishing with my father and uncle and their fishing buddies overnights out on the outer beach. I imagine most kids my age would have rather stayed home playing their Atari 2600's, but I loved being out on the sand overnight.

My uncle hooked up and fought it for a while, then he told he was 'too tired' and for me to finish her off. I thought it was a submarine I was reeling in, but there was no way I was going to get beat. This was my video game heh. Besides, he helped me with the rod ;)

Finally got her in the sand and she was 38#, caught on eels. Always on eels I remember.

I've caught some around that size since then, but that was the most memorable one for me.

The good ole days of Nauset

luds
11-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Somwhere between 30-35#. Nothing comfirmed. Just guestimates.

Tidalist
11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
41 pounder. Madaket, ACK!

Joey G
11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
40.9 lbs eel sept 02 , Larrys beach.

The Dad Fisherman
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
27.5 Lbs on a Whole Herring.......up in Glostah.

This coming year there will be a 30.....

bart
11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
30.6 lbs on a black slug-go, one night after the new moon in june 05. i fished this spot two nights prior and lost a good fish casting to the same rock.

PaulS
11-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I caught the same fish 3 times - 25 lbs.

1) Mantauk - Green super strike darter
2) 2 years later, Smith's point, Nantucket - black sluggo
3) this year (2 more years) Conn. - black sluggo.

I hope it ain't going to be a slow 2007!

piemma
11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
1, 42#er. At the Charlestown breachway in 92 in back near the campers. On an eel. 45#er at High Head on an eel in 72.

ThrowingTimber
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
From shore both went swimming back I length and girthed them though :)
49" 27 " girth 47" 25" girth Both went swimming, maybe their egos bruised a lil bit but both swam away fine :)

Had a few get away that made me want to take up golf thats for sure. Best one I had hooked was while deep wading and my partner was going to swim after it, but there was the slight chance it could have been a shark... Got a bent hook back and an eel that was scraped blue :wall: My fault I put too much pressure on it, we were in a boulder field and I was only fishing 30lb fireline. Never do that again :sick: I cried on the inside...

One my buddy jims boat, had a fish nail a 32 inch shad like it was a peanut... lost it as it was giving me head shakes.. Learned that lesson.. no more 15 lb mono...

Would LOVE a 64" fish with a 30" girth I had a saddle made for it, I keep it in the truck :vamp:

Paul, there's a young kid that fishes that area religiously, and some nights you'll hear his drag singing while we're out front :uhuh: Kid does good there, fished with him a bunch this year, never did get his name though.

piemma
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Vic, use to be a great spot. Some real cows use to hang right on the sand bar in the middle, on the drop. Haven't been there in years. Just too many other places that produce without the crowds.

striprman
11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
37 lbs one one of my needlefish- 2nd and 3rd largest have all been caught on habs needles :D
I caught some 10 pounders at Nauset and Race Point. 99.9 % of my fishing excursions are to the canal (closest fishing spot to my house).:fishslap: and easy access for handicapped.:musc: :tm:

37 pounds from the canal

fireguy
11-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Plymouth was good this year. I caught three fish from the surf that measured 52", 54", and 56". At least two were likely over 50#. I fish barbless and release all my fish. My brother caught one that weighed 50.75# from one spot last month on a white super strike. The bass attacked a small bluefish he caught and was reeling in.

dredey
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
very nice:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

jimmy z
11-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Two years ago in the low 30's:usd:

doc
11-29-2006, 01:02 PM
50" (maybe 45lbs??) on a smack-it popper was my best and it was this year no less...

RIJIMMY
11-29-2006, 01:05 PM
50" (maybe 45lbs??) on a smack-it popper was my best and it was this year no less...

I remember seeing those pics, how cool is a 45lb fish on a POPPER! Definitley an accomplishment

Young Salt
11-29-2006, 07:00 PM
dont know the exact weight.....fish bottomed out my 30# boga grip......after checking with different weights i found out it takes 35# to completely bottom out the boga, so the fish was bigger than that.

oh and did i forget to mention this was two nights ago........it aint over yet! :fishslap:

stiff tip
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM
ok ....if the canal counts 55lbs on yellow gibbs pp on 20 lb test andy green.... took 25 min n walked the fish dwn 3 lite poles to the east... when i sold her @ 2bucks a lb i got 109.00 6 hrs later......

Blitzseeker
11-30-2006, 09:23 AM
44.5 inches, 36 pounds, Back Beach at Race Point a few days after fourth of July in 2001.

My buddy and I had been out on the beach all day, not really fishing as it was dead as you would expect in July during the day. We were just killing time, hoping maybe we'd have some fun with some blues if they pushed through. We left the beach in the late afternoon to grab some food, then figured we'd take a spin down the back beach around dusk. Beach is empty except for one guy I'd never seen out there before throwing plugs out into a few hundred yards of occasional swirls, not getting any hits. We hop out of the truck 40 yards down the beach from the other guy and my buddy gets a 20 lb bass on about his second cast on a yozuri crystal minnow. As he's releasing, sun goes under the water. I throw on a black mambo and hit a 36#er on my first cast with it. We each got a couple more 15-25# fish over the next 25 minutes or so before it shut down.

Best part of the story is that the other guy down the beach is a guy I've come to realize in subsequent years is a real idiot....he walks around up there like he's god's gift to surf fishing these days. (I'll grant he does catch lots of fish nowadays.) After we catch our fish he comes running down saying, "What did you guys catch those on, these fish have been here the last three nights and I haven't gotten a hit." When my buddy tells him he got his on a yozuri, the guy goes "What's a yozuri?". Now this guy walks around up there thinking he's some kind of god and five years ago he didn't know what a yozuri plug was. Every time I see people asking him what he's using and where the fish are now, I always think of that night.:rollem:

Slipknot
11-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Plymouth was good this year. I caught three fish from the surf that measured 52", 54", and 56". At least two were likely over 50#. I fish barbless and release all my fish. My brother caught one that weighed 50.75# from one spot last month on a white super strike. The bass attacked a small bluefish he caught and was reeling in.

:eek: Damn. those are some impressive numbers, especially for this year from shore :btu:

My best from shore was 42 pounds from the canal. Three years ago, fishing near Saltheart, Smokey and Got stripers, I was getting schooled by Saltheart and finally gave up on that spot and moved on after only getting a hit or 2. Second cast at the very next spot I went to and I am listening to a very tight drag screaming out. I usually don't tie my jigs direct , but at the other spot I broke off the jig and the clip so I just tied direct with this 4 ounce jig, and I was praying that my knot would hold up as I could tell it was a very large bass. I set my drag around 11-12 pounds and in the canal it takes a 20 pounder to get line to come off at all usually, this fish took a good run and the guys I know downcurrent off me allowed me the time to get the fish in. I landed her as Got Stripers was walking down and he says "Hey you just caught my fish" well, it was my first 40 so it was not going back swimming for him to catch it ;) It fed 4 familys. 45-1/2" long, 42 pounds. I caught another 40 last year on a jig that was 48" long, much thinner fish. Still lokking for a 50.......

Swimmer
11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
The one I caught when I was awake or asleep.:bl:

Back Beach
12-01-2006, 02:21 PM
This thread should be what is your largest "documented" or "officially" weighed surf fish?I know some guys release everything, which is cool, but, I need to roll up my pants a little higher after reading a couple of these.:doh:

By the way, I released a bunch of 50" and 60" fish last night. Didn't feel like dragging them back.:angel: