View Full Version : Service time

nightfighter
11-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Getting organized, stowing gear, cleaning, sorting,etc. Then maybe turn to the lathe.
I am bagging reels after cleaning, and storing in a closet, as opposed to the shop as I did last year....too much dust. Select rods are to be stored in sight on exposed beams, to help me through the winter. Couple dozen favorite plugs hung up there too! And saving five appropriate plugs to be hung on the Christmas tree!
Question.... When stripping braid off reels, how do you store it for winter? I had respooled late in fall, so no need to trash it. I am stripping VS in preparation of sending in for service.
Going to send 3 year old Orvis Silver label waders back to see what they say about weeping around top of boot......

t.orlando
11-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I just leave it on the reel

MAC
11-26-2006, 08:55 AM
I leave it on too. It will come back just like you sent it in.

vanstaal
11-26-2006, 09:23 AM
leave it on .

luds
11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I start the season out with new braid and often replace it on some reels mid season. My line takes alot of abuse and I would hate to lose a large fish because my braid is too worn.

JohnR
11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Someone once mentioned to loosely wind the braid back onto an empty spool and toss it in some clean water for a while to soak and let it dry. Not sure if this is good or bad but I might give it a shot. Guess we've come full circle on fishing lines from the early days of taking "linen" for line to taking synthetic braids and drying them on a closthes line