View Full Version : First Cast Curse

Rockport24
12-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Do you believe in it? Gene Bourque mentioned it in the cutty article in OTW this month and I found myself thinking that I too, believe in the first cast curse!!

fishsmith
12-01-2006, 09:54 AM
what is the first cast curse?

unless your reel blows up or rod breaks in 1/2, your fishing how can you be cursed. Or is it bad cast then you curse #%$!!?

fishpoopoo
12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
first cast resulting in a snapoff of a prized plug will always lead to cursing. :scream2:

Sluggoslinger
12-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Never happened to me... (knocking on wood)

zimmy
12-01-2006, 10:05 AM
My biggest fish came in the canal on my first cast one morning. Got to the spot at around 330, cast out and got the fish. Thought for sure it was going to be loaded considering the season and the tide. Not another hit for the next 4 hours. I have a notable # of first cast curse outings.

Krispy
12-01-2006, 10:09 AM
A couple years ago I caught a 22# bass in April on the Housatonic River.
It was my first trip, first cast of the season. That year sucked :(

Tidalist
12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
To me, the first cast curse is when I break out the conventional gear in March for a maiden run, and end up with a nice rat's nest to start off the day right!:uhuh:

Joe
12-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I did not read the article yet. But I've always found that the first cast is the highest percentage cast you'll make. The longer the time between presentations, the less finicky the fish. It's why you so often hear people say "it started off as good night, we had action right away." It's also why trying several spots in a night is often a good strategy.

But the first cast is also when things are most likely to go wrong with your tackle. More fish are lost on the first cast due to problems that could have been circumvented with better preparation. It's important to be technically and mentally prepared. Too many people are surprised at a first cast hit. They cast, then set their drag or look at the reel to make sure everything is working or make a couple of casts then re-tie thier knots, etc, etc.

fishsmith
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
That's why it alway good to use someone elses gear :bl:

MarshCappa
12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I've never had the 1st cast snap off but I've caught plenty of fish on the 1st cast and nothing after that. It is a curse that keeps you at a particular spot for maybe a little longer than you should have. My biggest problem is knowing when to stop casting, just ask my wife!:smash:

Rockport24
12-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Joe, good thing you replied to this thread because you are in one of the pics that accompanies the article and named in the caption.

I think it is because the first cast is so high percentage, as Joe pointed out, that the first cast curse is actually a real thing. I know it's incorrect to draw behaviorial comparisons to humans, but if I saw one of my buddies get yanked out of the water, I would get the hell out of there!

Mike P
12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
IMO it's usually because a single fish is holding on that one piece of structure you made your cast to. I've had situations where I had that hit on the first cast, missed it because my brain wasn't fully engaged yet, made the next cast and had the same fish hit in the exact same spot--and usually, that second time, I'm ready for it ;) Then, it's a question of whether it was a single fish lurking there, and whether another fish will eventually take up the spot.

doc
12-01-2006, 02:20 PM
i am a big believer in the last cast curse which is fishing a spot for a good about of time in seemingly perfect conditions to finally get a half-hearted swirl and then finding yourself fishing that spot for another hour or so saying to yourself this is my last cast...which only leads to another...and then another...

not sure if i have ever got a fish on a 'last cast'...many fish have been had on a first cast though...

jim sylvester
12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
firs t cast is the best shot of fooling a big girl

if the hookup happens on a cow , first cast, so be it

nightfighter
05-20-2007, 08:16 AM
First cast of the season in my favorite oceanside surf spot resulted in an immediate strike. 27" and fat! Not anther strike for the rest of the tide. Two swirls and that was it... But they are back.

capecodkid
05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I just got my first keeper of the season yesterday on the first cast, right when it hit the water.

Rockport24
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
First cast of the season in my favorite oceanside surf spot resulted in an immediate strike. 27" and fat! Not anther strike for the rest of the tide. Two swirls and that was it... But they are back.

NICE!!!

spinncognito
05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Just got back from a quick outing. Caught a schoolie on my 18th cast and had two other swipes at my sluggo. I do not feel cursed. :jump1: Just happy to know there are some fish around...

Finaddict
05-20-2007, 11:35 AM
IMO it's usually because a single fish is holding on that one piece of structure you made your cast to. I've had situations where I had that hit on the first cast, missed it because my brain wasn't fully engaged yet, made the next cast and had the same fish hit in the exact same spot--and usually, that second time, I'm ready for it ;) Then, it's a question of whether it was a single fish lurking there, and whether another fish will eventually take up the spot.

Yeah Mike P. makes the most sense on this topic IMO ... don't waste your time falling for that cursed garbage ... just move on to another spot or change up your tactics if what you are doing is not working ... not every spot holds a big group of fish all the time ...

riverrat55
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
1st cast curse is for real!!!
You cast and the top part of the rod goes flying off into the water and in the process the lines breaks losing your favorite plug and then the line on the reel ends up in a huge bird's nest that can't be untangled!!!!!!!!!!!!
And, How was your first day fishing??? UGH!!!!!

WoodyCT
05-20-2007, 07:28 PM
It's true. Catch one on the first cast and you can plan on a long slow night. Done it many times in many places for many species. Of course it's great when your buddy gets the hex and you school him the whole trip!

Gunpowder
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
guess i made it out alive and clean this year. just went out and lost nothing.... though my brother did..... arggggg :(

EricM
05-21-2007, 04:18 PM
First cast all important. I am a big fan. One season I made myself count to 100 before every first cast to make sure I had the situation sized up right. All that prep work time with the gear, suiting up, hiking out to the spot, getting the time of day or night right, the tide right, definitely worth a 100 count to see if there is anything you should be noticing or taking advantage of. Plus, lets the area settle down a bit, or so the thinking went in my mind. That being said, my biggest fish ever came from walking down to the beach randomly with a random lure in the middle of the day and heaving it in no particular direction. Go figure.

justplugit
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
First cast, always in a hurry. Nah, no sense in retying, leader's still

good, knots ok, didn't lose a fish last time out. :doh: Always sorry. :(

Very first cast of the season last year, snapped off a brand new Bernzy Howdy, oh sheet. :smash:

Zeno
05-21-2007, 06:05 PM
here is the funny part...........I never ,ever make a "good" first cast
at least not to the area where I intend to cast all nigh.Usually I'll waste a cast sideways.Two reasons ,to check gear ,particularly line a reel and two ,to skip over the "first cast curse".Superstitious ?I guess
Nothing like my grandfather though.........if you wished him "good luck" on the way out he would turn around and go home.:eek: His motto was there is no "luck" involved in fishing ,its all skill.But now that you wished him luck ,you just jinxed him
you can make this stuff up:shocked:
btw
I never ,ever have had a good night when someone friend of a stranger has wished me a good luck.So now I don't answer my phone or talk to anyone from my car to the beach.I live a very sheltered life :uhoh:

NIB
05-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Hey Zeno,
Good Luck...

JohnR
05-22-2007, 05:51 AM
here is the funny part...........I never ,ever make a "good" first cast
at least not to the area where I intend to cast all nigh.Usually I'll waste a cast sideways.Two reasons ,to check gear ,particularly line a reel and two ,to skip over the "first cast curse".Superstitious ?I guess
Nothing like my grandfather though.........if you wished him "good luck" on the way out he would turn around and go home.:eek: His motto was there is no "luck" involved in fishing ,its all skill.But now that you wished him luck ,you just jinxed him
you can make this stuff up:shocked:
btw
I never ,ever have had a good night when someone friend of a stranger has wished me a good luck.So now I don't answer my phone or talk to anyone from my car to the beach.I live a very sheltered life :uhoh:

Words to live by...

Adamfishes
05-22-2007, 10:29 AM
fish can hear cell phones!

EricM
05-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Nice idea on the sideways cast- I will use that one for sure.