View Full Version : Needlefish and teasers

basswipe
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I've had good success with Hab's white and Salty's white Patriot needles but have had lots of misses from larger fish.I've often heard of folks fishing teasers with needles and getting huge but I've never bothered trying.

What's the basic rig?What are good basic teasers to use?

DZ
12-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Basswipe,
I've used teasers with needles on many occasions through the years. IMO the best dropper is a 4 inch black redgill. Second best is about four or five black saddle hackels. These teasers when combined with a needle are deadly "WHEN" the bass are finicky. Obvious drawbacks are casting distance and the outside chance that a fish on your teaser will end up fouling your needlefish in the rock weed if your fishing boulders. Set your dropper about 2-3 feet in front of the plug on a 6 inch drop. Use a strong single hook 6/0 or 7/0.
Hope this helps.

DZ

basswipe
12-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Definitely helps DZ.Easy,simple and that's a good thing with me.

I missed way to many nice fish this year both from my own mistakes and from not trying more things.

I limited myself way to much this year.I'm going to try more methods and more places next season.And most importantly I'm gonna fish more often!

JoeP
12-03-2006, 11:05 AM
BW:

Redgills in front of needlefish & other plugs are very effective. I even use teasers in front of heavily weighted sluggos on occasion.

Many times you'll catch more fish on the teaser than the plug. And when you get a double with 2 fish over 20LB's it is a great fight. Lost a nice plug that way last year.

However, like DZ said, the effect on casting range is a detractor.

ChiefLinesider
12-03-2006, 02:14 PM
When I have tied on droppers. I use various types of fly patterns.

http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/graphics/00000001/flygear/flies/frostybroadside_tan_g.jpg
Have done well in the past with this type of pattern off of the SWE website called
Frosty Broadside (Tan)
That pattern with larger hooks.

-I use a Spro power swivel
-Tie on two lengths of 50lb mono/flourocarbon. Both off of the same eye on the swivel. With the opposite eye being the one I tie my main line onto.
-Depending on the set up it will typically be around 3-4 feet of mono leading to a snap so I can have the option of putting on different lures.
-Then the second length of line will be around half the length of the main leader. And I will tie on a fly direct.

this way you can fight a fish directly to your swivel. rather than going through a line to line connection leading to a swivel.

Tagger
12-03-2006, 02:46 PM
When the peanut bunker are in I'm just using the needle to get the teaser (deciever) out. If I get one on the needle its a bonus . If I get a lot of doubles the teaser comes off . I didn't use them much this year because the peanuts didn't show alot for me .. Did well with a teaser and got to get back to it .

jimmy z
12-03-2006, 04:16 PM
In the beginning of the season I had alot of doubles. To me, teaser's always work. I use a variety of colors. Orange and black worked well. As well as green and white. 5/0 and 6/0 hooks are what I like.
Over the winter months I make my own.:)

riverrat2
12-03-2006, 04:57 PM
I used to fish redgills in front of everything and cought a ton of fish, the only problem was none of them were more than 10lbs. So I ditched the redgill and stopped catching thos little fish, but continued to catch good sized fish on the plug.

piemma
12-04-2006, 06:33 AM
What JoeP said. I have used teasers for years and caught more fish on a peanut bunker imitation teaser than anything else.

Flaptail
12-04-2006, 08:28 AM
I agree with DZ also, if yu have no teaser with you and other guys are croaking them on teasers opt for a smaller needle like a stubby and as soon as it hits the water reel up fast and get the sucker on the surface cutting the film and slow her down enough to keep it there. No rod manipulation just a slow surface drag.

numbskull
12-04-2006, 08:58 AM
You shouldn't use teasers.

They get tangled in your bag and make you angry.

You won't be able to make nice long casts, which are fun to do when you aren't catching anything.

They like to wrap around your rod tip so you dunk your reel while untangling them.

Bluefish will bite you off.

Rocks will bite you off.

They hurt your nose when you bend over to unhook a fish on your plug.

The mung shows up as soon as you tie one on.

The fish like them, and won't pay any attention to all those nice plugs you like to buy.

You might take up flyfishing because of them and then your friends won't talk to you.

You'd rather catch nothing than catch small fish.

Elephants don't eat peanuts.

I hope this was helpful.

Nebe
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Musso Wad style Beachmaster Needle and a 8.5 surfhog as a teaser-

Cow candy :D