View Full Version : Wetsuits-recommendations and thoughts

Argonaut
12-03-2006, 04:49 PM
After 10 years of surfcasting and an abubdance of waders on the market that don't hold up to to our descipline of fishing I'm thinking of making the jump to a wetsuit this year. I am NOT using the wetsuit for swishing or to swim out to distant rocks (or at least the ones I want to get to aren't too distant) but basically I don't want to worry about taking on water if I wade to deep or get knocked down in the surf.Questions, how thick a suit to fish in New England waters 4,5,6 mm?. 1 piece or 2 piece suit. How much does under arm articulation matter when casting, do you need flexability in the suit for this area. Do you just wear a normal wading boot with korkers or other studded shoe with a wetsuit? Last but not least I don't want to break the bank 250-300.00 at the verymost cheaper if possible. I saw a nice suit on a dive site that once put on comformed to your body and had all the features I questioned. It also cost 500 large a little to much for my budget. Any other info pertaining to suits you can supply me with would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Turek

riverrat2
12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
If you are not going to be consistently getting wet I would not recomend using a wetsuit. A dry wetsuit will not keep you very warm during the fall and spring, or even the summer for that matter. If you are going to be getting consistently wet than I would recomend getting a 5/4mm with a hood if you are planning on fishing into late november. If you are not planning on using it heavily during the fall or early spring I would get a 4/3. I will be hard to find a 4/3 with an attached hood. I would buy a wetsuit made for surfing, they have a lot more flexability in the shoulders than a dive suit which is nice for casting. Check out ripcurl, or xcel for wetsuits. Xcel has a huge following in the northeast for surfing.

fishpoopoo
12-04-2006, 07:30 AM
I've tried a few different brands.

For Rhody and The Cape/Islands I've worn the Henderson Gold Core 5 mm during the warmer weather months with no problems (one piece).

For cooler weather in the spring and early fall I'd advise layering with "drylete" tops and bottoms or underarmor.

I'd get a heavier wetsuit for late Oct/Nov (7mm).

I wear boots with korkers.

I'd recommend the NRS Workboot. It's built like a brick chithouse (I'd also recommend the NRS bootie socks too).

I love wetsuiting. I don't skish, but I do occasionally swim out to rocks or will make a short swim between islands and a wetsuit is great for that.

Back Beach
12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
If you aren't going to swim, I wouldn't get one. Went with the breathables/felt soles and a skinz top this year and it worked great. Sometimes I wade chest deep to get to a couple places. For all of the wetsuit surfcasters I see out there, I don't don't see them producing any more fish than the non suiters.Yes, you can get to some remote spots, no doubt, and get fish you ordinarily may not reach. My take is there are just as many great spots to fish where you need not take on additional risk.Keep in mind before you call me chicken dung that my fear of drowning has kept me alive this long. You can get just as messed up in a wet suit if things go the wrong way.

tynan19
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
^Mike, I agree but I want one for just those areas where you will bob with the waves on a regular occurance. Or for the rollers that are coming in at head height.

Back Beach
12-04-2006, 02:24 PM
^They just make you too brave IMO. A couple guys I know who are good fishermen and use wet suits have told me "when you get blown off the rock by a wave, you just climb back up on it". To me thats too risky. I hear you on the bobbing thing. A place we fish in @!@##@!$@@ is like that, and I like the bobbing thing sometimes.Ask redlite about my head height rollers experience.:usd: Getting blown off your perch is different than bobbing, though. :behead: Maybe look into the sospenders for next year as an alternative.

riverrat2
12-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I am going to start to use a wetsuit this season. I have all of the gear just never really fished spots that I could justify using one. But after fishing a few new spots this season I think a wetsuit would be perfect.

Argonaut
12-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Backbeach,
That is the general consensus among the guys I fish with they make you to brave. Fishing here in Connecticut we seldom experience the surf conditions like you guys in Rhody or Mass we do have our nights though. I have done the breathable wader skinz top and my problem is finding suitable waders that don't leak after a dozen outings. Short of spending over 400 large for a pair of Simms G3 guide waders that are here are quite good I understand there is not much out there. Maybe I should put a post out there about what the best waders are or those you can at least get a few years out of. What we need are seamless waders with kevlar fabric woven into all the wear spots knees butt flanks so when we bang against rocks the wader won't be compromised. Not going to happen though the wader companies WANT you to keep buying new waders. I've been meaning to buy a suspenders inflatable for years probably a good idea.Thanks guys for all the input it was very helpful.
Argonaut

fishpoopoo
12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
you wanna wetsuit in CONNECTICUT? :yak6: :uhoh: :skulz: :yak: :conf:

tlapinski
12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
you wanna wetsuit in CONNECTICUT? :yak6: :uhoh: :skulz: :yak: :conf:
:heybaby:

Check out my post from a while back in CSA. Pretty much outlines evreything I use.

Jay Dog
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Mark if you get a wet suit there's no telling where you'll end up going. I've already seen boats pull up to you thinking your a lobster pot buoy or channel buoy.:rotf2:

Argonaut
12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Jay,
I don't deep wade anymore. This year I started realizing my own mortality when I walked 200 yards to the end of a jetty during a moon tide and got stuck. Trying to get back I stepped off the submerged jetty and was treading water for a wee bit. Didn't panic just realized what an a...ole I was for not not keeping an eye on the rising water. I just want a suit because there are no waders out there I have any faith in. That and to get to a rock about 30 yards offshore that 3 fish broke me off on last year....
Turek

Christian
12-05-2006, 10:09 PM
i got a 5mm neosport this year.
i fished in it alot in spring. it was totally awsome, till i busted the zipper, and didnt bother to get it fixed.
i was using it in rocky areas to get to a few big boulders out another 50 yards from where i would normally be casting. also tried some skiishing, that was awsome.
i was wicked warm and comfy. i had a little less mobility to the arms, but it was worth it in the long run. it was a good purchase and another tool in the arsenal. good for scouting with a mask and snorkel as well.

shadow
12-06-2006, 06:19 AM
i got a 5mm neosport this year.
i fished in it alot in spring. it was totally awsome, till i busted the zipper, and didnt bother to get it fixed.
i was using it in rocky areas to get to a few big boulders out another 50 yards from where i would normally be casting. also tried some skiishing, that was awsome.
i was wicked warm and comfy. i had a little less mobility to the arms, but it was worth it in the long run. it was a good purchase and another tool in the arsenal. good for scouting with a mask and snorkel as well.
got the same suit myself this year it is alittle stiff in the arms (couldnt kick up the $ for a hyperstrech)IT is a great tool for wading some spots I fish when the tide is coming in and I don't want to be in trouble when coming back in.I'v done some snorkeling in it as well.

Goose
12-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Thoughts: I luv pee'ing in my suit

fishpoopoo
12-06-2006, 07:39 AM

yeah but won't the deer smell you from a mile away? :uhoh:

pmueller
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Jay Dawg,
the channel marking thing is a real problem. :err:

Goose
12-06-2006, 05:26 PM
No cause I gota scent-lock wetsuit.

fishpoopoo
12-06-2006, 05:34 PM
No cause I gota scent-lock wetsuit.

:rotf2:

Backbeach Jake
12-06-2006, 05:48 PM

That must go over well in Church.

Sorry, it was right there.

Goose
12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
:rolleyes:churchs beach horseneckbeach or newport beach it don't matter.....that nice warm feeling makes you feel like a kid again.

Tidalist
12-07-2006, 03:29 PM
There are two kinds of people in this world:

Those who pee in their wetsuits

and

Those who lie about it.:cheers:

shadow
12-07-2006, 07:19 PM
being able to just pee when ever is the real reason for a wet suit, isn't it.:huh:

Pete_G
12-07-2006, 09:38 PM
The only issue I find with peeing in a wetsuit is when you go back to waders in the late fall. I've come real close to ruining my waders. It's easy to forget.

Goose
12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Picked up a nice tip from Tlap, pull your collar allowing to fill up your suit...rinses and cools. Argonaut , didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

fishpoopoo
12-08-2006, 08:09 AM
There are two kinds of people in this world:

Those who pee in their wetsuits

and

Those who lie about it.:cheers:

Uh, no, I don't pee in my wetsuit. :rude:

RIROCKHOUND
12-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Picked up a nice tip from Tlap, pull your collar allowing to fill up your suit...rinses and cools. Argonaut , didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

Yup... sucks when it flushes unintentionally in Nov though!
mid summer I fish a lot with it unzipped a few inches in the back, keeps you cool on a warm night...

Christian
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
tip!
take an old spray bottle and rinse it out. then put in a little bit of soap. i prefer old spice body wash, then fill the rest with water. spray inside suit before putting on. slides on and off much easier, and it masks the odor of urine pretty well.

tynan19
12-09-2006, 11:01 PM
What do you guys wear under your wetsuits?

riverrat2
12-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Nothing. If you wear something underneath you will get a rash like you read about. I know some people that wear speedos under there wetsuit so that they can strip it off in public. I opt for the under the towel method.

tlapinski
12-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I wear shorts and either a rash guard shirt or an Under Armor shirt when it is cooler.

Back Beach
12-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Did I hear speedos and rashes? :shocked:

I'm outa here.