View Full Version : Yet another Van Staal Question

Sluggoslinger
12-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Its probably already been asked but this might be my big present this year for christmas.

I guess I should start with how I fish... 85% boat 15% shore. In the summer when the fish are really there, I'll just drift fresh bait through the rips and it works like magic 75% of the time. In the spring, I use sluggo's, top water plugs and hopefully some habs needles if I can get my hands on some;) Rarely do I toss much over 2.5oz. For rods, i have a St Croix 8'MF but I want to have a three piece to keep in my car and take to hawaii with me in march. I might end up with a 7'6" St Croix as well for that. But I'll get a surf rod at some point.

So I'm trying to decide between the 150 and 200. I also can't decide weather I want a bail or not but I think if I go with a bail, I'm better off with a saltiga since its not really a van staal with the bail.

Does bailess become second nature? I would hate to spend $$$ and not like it...

What do you think?

nightprowler
12-04-2006, 10:31 AM
i had no problem adjusting to the bailess, in fact, when i go back to a reel with a bail, it doesn't feel right. I always flipped my bail manually anyway. It did take some getting used to, but as far as casting and retrieving was concerned that only took me a night or 2 before i had the feel down. the biggest adjustment i had was figuring out the best way to fish the eels. i was used to flipping the bail and letting the fish run and then flipping the bail and letting the circle do its thing. when i went bailess it took me many dropped fish adjusting to how to do it with out a bail....i think i have it down now though.

t.orlando
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
What do you think?

I think if you only fish 15% from shore, you don't need a VS or Saltiga. Getting used to no bail is pretty easy. Own both VS200 and SaltigaZ4500, and primarily fish the Saltiga now. Only time the VS sees service is if I am getting really wet.

Sluggoslinger
12-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I think if you only fish 15% from shore, you don't need a VS or Saltiga. Getting used to no bail is pretty easy. Own both VS200 and SaltigaZ4500, and primarily fish the Saltiga now. Only time the VS sees service is if I am getting really wet.

I know that I don't need one... I just want one really bad b/c to be honest, they look so cool. Trust me, I had a friend tell me all weekend that I was crazy for wanting the VS... needless to say, i'm still going to get one.

Flaptail
12-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Your wasting (or your significant other is) your money. A VS from a boat is mispent money. Lots of other lower cost reels that will do the job just as well. But if you really want a VS than go for it but it ain't the reel best suited for the task.

First off we all know I would not own one and cannot ever justify the money for what you get and what it does. It's a hype created, and done very well, by the company (Quantum now)to get you to think you need to have the reel to be the best you can be. Hogwash, there are reels out there that will suffice with the same amount of care.

I have used the them, fished with them and was very happy to hand them back to the owner when done. Close to 700.00 for a reel to fish for Striped bass? I love bass as much if not more than the next guy but even the biggest bass can be caught on tackle that you can buy at Benny's or Wally world.

Bronko
12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Your wasting (or your significant other is) your money. A VS from a boat is mispent money. Lots of other lower cost reels that will do the job just as well. But if you really want a VS than go for it but it ain't the reel best suited for the task.

First off we all know I would not own one and cannot ever justify the money for what you get and what it does. It's a hype created, and done very well, by the company (Quantum now)to get you to think you need to have the reel to be the best you can be. Hogwash, there are reels out there that will suffice with the same amount of care.

I have used the them, fished with them and was very happy to hand them back to the owner when done. Close to 700.00 for a reel to fish for Striped bass? I love bass as much if not more than the next guy but even the biggest bass can be caught on tackle that you can buy at Benny's or Wally world.

Flap,

Please refrain from posts like this. This is entirely to well thought out and reasonable.:)

You have now made me feel guilty because I think my wife and brother are getting me a VS200 for Christmas. :angel:

fishpoopoo
12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
if you're not gonna dunk the reel there's no point in getting a VS.

Sluggoslinger
12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Flap,

Please refrain from posts like this. This is entirely to well thought out and reasonable.:)

You have now made me feel guilty because I think my wife and brother are getting me a VS200 for Christmas. :angel:

No kidding... god, your trying to make fisherman sound like they only buy what is absolutely necessary... I mean we would never go out and buy a million plugs when we have a couple we stand by all the time.

I know what you are saying and maybe the saltiga is the way to go... F'it...

Bronko
12-04-2006, 03:39 PM

No problem here. It will get dunked. I am all surf... unless I am out on Keepereaper's boat. :lasso:

ThrowingTimber
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
more action from boat I'd say get the shimano's they're nice reels. Take the extra dough and get a charter or something for your old man for fathers day.

unless you're going to dunk it and do all sorts of nasty things with the reel you dont really need a vs. But hey its your dough and you're welcome to do with it as you please :D

eelman
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM

:claps: :claps: :claps:

Nebe
12-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Flap for president !

Slipknot
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
maybe the saltiga is the way to go... F'it...

yep, now you're talking :hihi:

If you can afford a Mercedes, and want one, thgen you'd buy one. Why not get what you want in a fishing reel also. It's all in how much enjoyment you get out of the sport anyway I say, so why not use a reel that is smooth as silk and durable. Naturally alot of other brands and makes will do the job, it's a person's choice what he/she wants to fish with.

Chris in Mass
12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
I just really enjoy using that piece of equipment. No on needs a Van Staal - hell, use a coke can and string if it that's what your are OK with. It's too late for me to be as good as most folks on this site; and don't believe the VS guarantees you landings, or makes you a better fisherman, and could care less about how it makes one look. It's just so much fun to use, and takes a beating. I feel the same way about my 706. I love using those two reels.

The price - friggin' ouch! Yeah it hurt and I wish there was a competitor that could keep the price in check. I believe someone would have stepped up by now if they felt they could make a go of it in the reel buisness. There's still hope. I've read about folks who are into cooking and dining. They buy special steak knives and what-not to enhance their experience. I'll take the knives from Job Lot, but I know where they are coming from :) (I feel bad for the guys who are into fishing and golf)

vanstaal
12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
everyone who has one has it because they wanted it they new what it was all about I love mine and I would not give it up it's a machine not just a reel I had no problem adjusting to no bail I have a 300 and before that I used a Peen 706 for years I retired and bought the VS for myself it is by far the best surf reel to have :cool: :hihi:

GattaFish
12-04-2006, 11:26 PM
First you should get the reel that matches your rod.... As far as getting used to a manual pick up. I got my first VS this year. I had never used it so I took it to a calm river on a nice evening and took a few whips with it,,,, Took about 30 mins to get used to it,,,,, The next night with new line I was whipping some HABS into a 25 knot wind in the dark,,,,, It truely was enjoyable to fish,,,, later in the fall it took its share of dunkings out on block,,,,,,, Best money I ever spent,,,,,,

Sluggoslinger
12-05-2006, 09:07 AM
That is the reason I want to get one. It is just such a cool piece of machinery.

Ake G
12-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I went from a 2 year old Quantum Cabo 60 (which performed OK and has a nice drag BUT does not handle braid well) and before that three Shimano Stradics...one dunking and they're GONE ...to a VS 250 this season.

3 HUGE things I noticed w/ the VS:

1) How well it handles Braid. Had maybe one small power pro wind knot since I made the switch!! (And I fish Spooks 70% of the time!)Lays it on perfectly so braid does'nt dig into itself. I don't need to pay constant attention to how braid's getting laid on the spool.

2) Much Improved casting distance. Probably a function of a larger diameter spool AND #1 above

3) My surf gear takes a beating.Dunked numerous times with no change/effect on performance.

I'm glad I got one. Reel is as advertised. And it is a pretty piece of engineering/design. Get the Silver!!!

fishpoopoo
12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Flap doesn't fish some of the spots a lot of VS owners do. :spin:

ChiefLinesider
12-06-2006, 03:01 AM

Thats a bold statement that I dont agree with.

The overall durability of the reel is what was appealing to me. It is inevitable though that my reel will get dunked at some point during the night. And the VS shines in this situation. I have owned many other reels in the past, and they just dont seem to hold up. I took great care with them. & bail would not close/drag clicker would stop working/would start to feel very rough during retrieve.

You pay for the simplicity & reliability of a VS in my opinion. No anti reverse buttons, Interchangeable left/right handle features, nothing, Its in my opinion what a reel should be, strictly business.

But if I was only fishing 15% shore. I wouldnt be looking at a VS. The abuse a reel gets on shore is not equal to what it gets on a boat. But to each his own. If you like them & have the money go for it. I like the size of the 200. Just use some common sense when chosing a reel size. Dont let someone else tell you what size you need. Chances are if you are buying a VS, if you think it through, youll know what you need. Compare the VS sizes to what you have used in the past, along with the retrieve rate.

On a sidenote: Reel ownership is always connected with customer service & maintenance. VS is easily contacted & seems to make sure your happy.

fishpoopoo
12-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Thats a bold statement that I dont agree with.

The overall durability of the reel is what was appealing to me.

the overall durability of a VS is severely wanting in my opinion.

ever scratch that body on a rock?

fishpoopoo
12-06-2006, 08:32 AM
You pay for the simplicity & reliability of a VS in my opinion.

That is laughable. Say that with some conviction after you've had a VS literally fall apart in your hands while you have a fish on. Happened to me on more than one occasion (VS 150B, VS 300G).

IMO the drag system needs to be improved. Herky jerky.

Also, have you taken a close look at the line-winding on your VS spool? See the belly? So much for reliability.

If you want simplicity and reliability, you can get a whole lot more bang for your buck with a Penn 706Z.

ChiefLinesider
12-06-2006, 12:03 PM
That is laughable. Say that with some conviction after you've had a VS literally fall apart in your hands while you have a fish on. Happened to me on more than one occasion (VS 150B, VS 300G).

IMO the drag system needs to be improved. Herky jerky.

Also, have you taken a close look at the line-winding on your VS spool? See the belly? So much for reliability.

If you want simplicity and reliability, you can get a whole lot more bang for your buck with a Penn 706Z.

And the reel wars begin....

So if you do dunk your reel....Your still advising against buying a VS?

tattoobob
12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
If you want the reel and you feel good about using it, you get a positive feeling when having it, bottom line if you can afford it then go for it, it's all about the joy of being out there and what makes you feel good. it is a piece of equipment I wouldn't fish with out. who cares what anyone opinions are

Sluggoslinger
12-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I went with a Saltiga for now, I couldn't say no to the price and now I have a GREAT reel with a bail.

Now in Feb I am going to make the decision between a ZeeBaas or the VS150...

tattoobob
12-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh and compared to a penn z series, The VS is like a virgin, and the penn is a sloppy whore on payday

fishpoopoo
12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
And the reel wars begin....

So if you do dunk your reel....Your still advising against buying a VS?

No, I did not say that.

I am saying that while the VS reel is amongst a handful of reels that are suited to a particular application (really wet fishing), it is far from perfect and has a number of features that need to be improved to justify a $700 initial investment.

Rockport24
12-06-2006, 12:17 PM
We have these reel wars all the time. Is it worth it? Isn't it worth it?
Too much money? blaha blah blah...
I think we should all admit that a VS is a Surfcasting status symbol, even if that is just for yourself and your own enjoyment.
The high-end will always have a market because people like to think they have the best thing available. simple as that.
Bob's right, who cares if it is worth the money or whatever the hell we want to argue about, if you like it, go for it, it is what it is.

Bronko
12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I went with a Saltiga for now, I couldn't say no to the price and now I have a GREAT reel with a bail.

Now in Feb I am going to make the decision between a ZeeBaas or the VS150...

Get the VS 200. We'll be the pride of the Sugar Bowl in Southie.:laugha:

Sluggoslinger
12-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Get the VS 200. We'll be the pride of the Sugar Bowl in Southie.:laugha:

:happy:

chuckg
12-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I think the expectation of paying $40-$50/year for servicing is somewhat bogus since they advertise the reels as having a somewhat indestructible nature. I have a 200 and one year tried to explain that due to a rotator surgery I didn't fish the reel once. they basically said too bad, but you still have to send it or then they get you on the re-registering fee again, plus the yearly mauntenance charge. get a 704, take off the bail, drill holes in the rotor for flushability and save $500 bucks toward your kid's college.

Pete_G
12-06-2006, 04:09 PM
The irony of ANY Van Staal bashing thread that ever comes up is that it always seems to sell even more Van Staals.

I'll also never admit that my reels are "status symbols". I'm out there mostly at night or so far offshore you'll never know what I'm fishing anyways.

There's many spots that if I'm wading knee deep waves will be submerging the reel constantly as I fish. Or when I go to change a plug when I'm deep wading I just dump the reel in the water. No attempting to suspend the reel in the air while I change up or put a new eel on. On the rocks I only worry about my guides when I put my rod down. The reel just scrapes along the rocks, it doesn't matter.

They get the job done for the way I fish, year after year. That's all I care about when it comes to a fishing reel.

ChiefLinesider
12-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Mixed responses as usual. If this were a thread on whether or not to purchase reel X, satisfied owners of other reels would suggest not buying reel X based on their experiences. And happy owners of reel X would say, buy their reel. If there is a large following with the reel in question or a widespread desire from people to own that reel it's probably wise to listen.

No reel is flawless. They all break. And no reel is a good investment. Rocks/fish/Saltwater habitually expose any defect a reel manufacturer has overlooked. This is true with most every fishing related product I can think of.........

Everyone has different expectations of what they want from a reel. With price being the deciding factor for most.

fishpoopoo
12-07-2006, 07:42 AM
No reel is flawless. They all break. .

Yes, I suppose that is true. But truth be told, I have had fewer mechanical problems with my Penn 706z's and Fin-Nor Ahab 16's (both packed with grease), both of which have been subjected to the same level of wet/immersed fishing that my Van Staals have.

If you are going to pay $700 for a reel, and then plunk down $35-$50 a year to have it serviced, it SHOULD be flawless.

Van Staal's should be held to a higher standard, and I think the company could do a better job of improving the value proposition.

My pet peeves about the reel:

1) Fix the goddamn drag

2) Fix the line winding problem (belly in the spool)

3) Redesign the drag knob. It's too hard to manipulate in colder weather and the edges contribute to line tangles. A lot of Montauk guys get around this by filing the edges down, but it looks fugly.

4) Put the counterweight back inside ... I can't tell you how many times the line has gotten stuck at the base of the exterior counterweight on the newer models (easy fix with epoxy, but should I futz around with a reel I just paid $700 for).

5) There should be a more durable finish that is scratch resistant. All my VS's look like $hit. Because they are anodized, they can't be refinished. So VS should really think about powder coating or some other heavy duty scratch resistant finish.

Mike P
12-07-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't think the lind winding issue is a biggie. It's never caused me any knotting problems, even with a very soft braid like Whiplash.

Fixing it means making the gearing more complex, equalling more failure potential, IMO.

fishpoopoo
12-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't think the lind winding issue is a biggie. It's never caused me any knotting problems, even with a very soft braid like Whiplash.

Fixing it means making the gearing more complex, equalling more failure potential, IMO.

A $700 reel should be PERFECT.

:smokin:

RIROCKHOUND
12-07-2006, 09:49 AM
So Ben, by that logic, an 80K SUV that costs X times more than my Tacoma should be perfect; but landrovers still break down!

fishpoopoo
12-07-2006, 11:22 AM
So Ben, by that logic, an 80K SUV that costs X times more than my Tacoma should be perfect; but landrovers still break down!

A Series I disco list was $35K. The worst POS ever driven, and JD Powers confirms this!

RIROCKHOUND
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
OK, the car I chose was an example; use a Cadillac SUV as an example... Escilades are ~65K so 3x a Tacoma. So use the VS and Quantum Cabo as the examples...

ChiefLinesider
12-07-2006, 12:01 PM
OK, the car I chose was an example;

I think thats a good point. Its the idea that you pay that much for a car, and you still need servicing & they still break.

fishpoopoo
12-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I think thats a good point. Its the idea that you pay that much for a car, and you still need servicing & they still break.

...and look at the pathetic state of the Big 3 automakers right now.

Ford and GM and all their OEM's are headed towards or are in financial distress, partly due to lousy quality (vs. Japanese competition) and not listening to the consumer.

GeoffT
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
BTW, it didn't cost me $700 but $499 cash for my new 250. A bigger bang for the buck, eh? ;) By far the best investment ever on a surf reel because of the way I fish.

I had too many problems with the 705 in the short time I had it, particularly after any dunking in water or sand. I was glad to get rid of it. The 250 just feels far more substantial, indestructible and smoother. So far, it's been behaving superbly with the 50# Sufix Performance braid.

I don't know too many people who even have their VS serviced on an annual basis anyway. More like every other year or two, unless you fish it hard 300 days of the year.

Water Treater
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
I fish from a boat all summer long and hit the surf in the fall (Montauk and outer Cape Cod). I suggest you buy a Van Staal Model 150-N for boat and sheltered water (i.e. bay) fishing and purchase a Van Staal Model 200-N for surf fishing. This past summer on Ebay I purchased a near-new Van Staal Model 200-N reel, with (brand new) spare spool, for $ 325.00 plus shipping. You don't need to pay
$ 700.00 for any fishing reel.

I took my wife surf fishing for the first time about 8 years ago (Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet, Mass.) and gave her an 8 foot rod with a Van Staal Model 100-N reel to use. It took her fewer than four casts to learn to use the manual bail pickupand she had never before cast a lure.

Ten years ago I switched to Van Staal spinning reels because of (1)manual bail pick-up (no more lost plugs when the bail suddenly closes in the middle of a cast) (2) lighter weight (I converted all my Penn 6500 and 7500 reels to manual bail but then discovered the reels were still too heavy for 10 foot graphite surf rods) , and (3) Van Staal reels are goof-proof. They can be dropped in soft sand and, with a simple rinsing in the surf, fully recover.

Buy a Van Staal reel. Other spinning reels are either too heavy, have limited line capacity, are not available with manual bail pick-up, or cannot survive falling over in soft sand or being submerged for extended periods of time. If you want a goof-proof reel, buy a Van Staal.

Finaddict
12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I enjoy my Penn 704 for all these years, it's still working ... but, over the past season, I have come to fall in a lot ... not sure why but always seem to lose my balance and the 704 has to be broken down and rinsed off and then regreased ...

... so I myself have made the plunge into the world of VS, mainly because of durability, if I have to use the butt of my rod as a wading stick, and the reel goes under ... or I fall in like I have done several times this season, or seem to wade out too far in an effort to get extra distance, I don't want to worry about my reel.

AS for the manual bail, it's the preferred method of fishing, if I could convert all of my spinning reels to manual - whether they are Penn, Diawa, Shimano, etc. etc. I would. It take a little practice and then becomes second nature. The only way to go.

ChiefLinesider
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
...and look at the pathetic state of the Big 3 automakers right now.

Ford and GM and all their OEM's are headed towards or are in financial distress, partly due to lousy quality (vs. Japanese competition) and not listening to the consumer.

Not sure I understand the analogy. Van Staal = American Car manufacturer GM?. GM is in financial distress, partly due to "lousy quality". Van Staal isnt in financial distress as far as I know, and they make quality products. If they were having financial problems, would it be because of competition with Japanese manufacturers of reels? Don't think they have any stiff competition from Japan... & Ford(aka Van Staal) doesnt listen to their consumers? They seem to listen to me....

Maybe im missing something?:huh:

fishpoopoo
12-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Van Staal isnt in financial distress as far as I know, and they make quality products

Do some research. Van Staal was in financial distress at the outset. I believe the original entity filed for bankrupcty several years back. It was sold to Reel Ventures LLC and then to Zebco.

The parent company of Zebco isn't going anywhere (run a D&B report on http://www.wcbradley.com/ ). But that doesn't mean that Zebco isn't going to try to keep this line profitable.

Look what aluminum is doing.

They aren't making money on service.

fishpoopoo
12-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Van Staal doesnt listen to their consumers?

Maybe im missing something?:huh:

You definitely are.

RIJIMMY
12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Just another perspective on the cost....
About 20-25 yrs ago (man I feel old) my Dad and I were seriosly into freshwater bass fishing, we went top of the line at tje time on reels and we used Shimano Bantum MAg plus reels, expensive at the time and my Dad was on a limited budget. I think teh reels were around $75. Just last week I browsed a Bass Pro Catalog, one of the 2000 I get each year. My jaw dropped when I saw the prices for baitcasting reels, some were over $500, for a freshwater reel!!!
I just bought a VS this year adn comparing the performance I need to fsih the water I do, its worth it. Things are expensive now. I used Penns for years, but take too many waves and they crap out. I rinse and lube but still have problems. The VS is an uncomplicated reel that sio far has worked for me. It is very expensive, but I beleive the cost benefit over time will eb worth the investment

fishpoopoo
12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
About 20-25 yrs ago ...reels were around $75. Just last week I browsed a Bass Pro Catalog, one of the 2000 I get each year. My jaw dropped when I saw the prices for baitcasting reels, some were over $500, for a freshwater reel!!!

1) No question VS helped define the high-end segment of the reel market.

2) I'm sure the bass tournament fishing phenomenon helped dupe people into parting them from their hard-earned cash.

3) Evidence of people willing to pay $500 for a ***freshwater reel*** tells me there's an awful lot of liquidity sloshing out there. Bad sign for you inflation watchers.

nightfighter
03-02-2007, 07:27 AM
If it weren't for the used/classifieds market, I would not have; the VS 200 from last year, two more rods and one 300 series reel this winter, and possibly a boat coming this spring... Been boat shopping for four years. Last 'new' car purchase was in 1982. Can't tell you how many tools have come the used/rebuilt discount route, and are often better than new due to rebuild. If you have patience, identify the need/target, and do your homework, you can get the products far below list price. We all choose to make an investment in our passions, and still have to make the monthly nut to keep a roof over our heads and the kids in clothes/activities etc.

Even Flap would have paid what I did for the VS. And no issues to date with the reel.

But I do buy my Breakaway clips new!:hihi:

piemma
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I own a VS 250. That being said I never use it on the boat. if you are on the boat 85% of the time. Buy 3 Shimano 400s and put the extra $100 in your pocket.

zimmy
03-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Strange thing is that based on consumer reports and other surveys, the tacoma would be astronomically more reliable. The worst reliability is always mercedes, bmw, landrover, jaguar etc.

Even if this were the case with vs, there must be some performance advantage of the high end cars and high end reels that makes them appealing, right?

It makes sense to tell someone that there may be other reels to look that will do a great job and save money or whatever... but (and I don't own one...) I don't get the business of basically implying someone is foolish for getting one or just doing it for status. Funny thing is I don't hear this as much about Arra rods, which I own and love, but could certainly have spent much less on rods that do a comparable job.

reelecstasy
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
The Arra rods are second generation graphite, and are a better rod...than the standard lami blank which is first generation graphite :tooth:

zimmy
03-02-2007, 01:42 PM
The Arra rods are second generation graphite, and are a better rod...than the standard lami blank which is first generation graphite :tooth:

yep... i love my 1205, but I can imagine someone arguing its not worth the money over a gsb1201m or allstar 1208 which is (well...was) way cheaper :as: Beauty is in the eye of the reel/rod/beer holder :alien: