View Full Version : Best seminars

reelecstasy
12-04-2006, 03:09 PM
What have been some of your favorite speakers you have seen give talks on our fishery? Be it content, entertainment value, or someone you have come away from after going, thinking, wow that was good. Even someone you havent had the chance to see and would like to.
I am looking for some new ideas for the coming year. Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

The Dad Fisherman
12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Steve McKenna did a great job up at PISC for one of our meetings.

eelman
12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Capt. Al Anderson...guy knows his stuff and is very entertaining.

tattoobob
12-04-2006, 04:00 PM
DZ, On the History of the Needlefish, also spoke about Block Island surf fishing in the 80's "Fantastic"

BigFish
12-04-2006, 04:03 PM
I would love to hear DZ!:btu:

Tidalist
12-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I saw Steve McKenna at the PISC meeting as well - very informative. I've also seen Lefty Kreh do a casting demo at the Wilmington show a few years back (wow).

Tagger
12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Flap .... Plugs ... at plugfest and MSBA
Salty Bugger,,, Tieing Bucktail .
George,,, aka Numbskull ,,,, Handcarve

I like Flaps history approach to plugs ,,not the usual dark colors night ,,light colors day thing ..
Salty .. I was doing everything wrong .. got alot out of that ..so did others.

George ,,Changed my plug life ,,, My lathe is idle ,,, all I want to do is handcarve swimmers .. I have to make needles for the up coming season and some predators ,,, My interest is mainly handcarve.. Will CanalMan ??? Threepete ???? :shocked:

Tagger
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
DZ, On the History of the Needlefish, also spoke about Block Island surf fishing in the 80's "Fantastic"

Would like to hear that too ..

BigFish
12-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Numbscull would be the bomb!!!:heybaby:

Canalman
12-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Will CanalMan ??? Threepete ???? :shocked:

:grins: :devil2:

luds
12-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Would like to hear that too ..

me 2 in braintree:D

reelecstasy
12-04-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm all ears.....

snake slinger
12-04-2006, 04:53 PM
steve mckenna,bill nolan and frank daignault

MikeToole
12-04-2006, 06:39 PM
One of the best I've seen was Alberto. He gave a lot of tips and tricks plus at the end of the talk he took the time to show me how to tie an Alberto knot and several other things he covered.

Some of the better seminars were presented by members MSBA at their expo. While not well known people they had a lot to offer and they weren't rehashing things from articles that were out in print.

RIROCKHOUND
12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Capt. Al Anderson...guy knows his stuff and is very entertaining.
Just have to get his head through the door.
Gags is always funny
DZ has a great historical perspective

Squid kids Dad
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Gotta love Gags and his girls...:bounce:

reebok
12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Bill Nolan... very good presentation at RISAA in October.
Dave Pickering
Steve McKenna

all great, first hand knowledge.

vanstaal
12-04-2006, 07:32 PM
of all the things I was involved in in my club was getting people to give a presentation, the best one and most informed was given by a Marine Biologist Michell Burnett from DEM and her talk was about the declining population of the American eel something I think we all need to hear

jbuck
12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Our own RIROCKHOUND did a good job at the rissa meeting a couple months ago.

Slipknot
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I could listen to Charlie Cinto speak for hours :uhuh:
Alberto is another good choice.

How about Charlie Moore? :hidin:

eelman
12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Just have to get his head through the door.
Gags is always funny
DZ has a great historical perspective

wel once its though the door you get your moneys worth...Al is as informative as any marine bioligist and maybe more so...the guy paid his dues........

BigFish
12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Charlie Cinto being a fellow club member and someone who is always around would be great to hear him tell the story of "his catch"! As many times as I have talked with Charlie, he is not the type to brag nor am I going to make him feel uncomfortable by asking him about it! Love to hear it from him in a seminar setting!:bgi: :bgi: :bgi:

RIROCKHOUND
12-05-2006, 07:30 AM
wel once its though the door you get your moneys worth...Al is as informative as any marine bioligist and maybe more so...the guy paid his dues........

Still think he's an A-hole though :whackin:

and JBuck :smash: :love:

eelman
12-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Still think he's an A-hole though :whackin:

and JBuck :smash: :love:

Ya, but a smart Ahole..Cant take away what the guy knows. Look at me I am an Ahole...But I catch fish

RIROCKHOUND
12-05-2006, 07:38 AM
You're not an A-Hole you just play one on the internet! :D

Goose
12-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Covering my local waters Charlie Soars was always at the top of my list but the last two years IMO his presentations are twisted repeats. Bill and Steve's last year at Gillet where awsome, hope they keep it up. Crazy Als a few years ago at MSBA was basic to the point targeting big bass great seminar. I noticed there's always a few in the crowd that are shaking there heads saying to themselfs 'thats bull' usualy the old schoolers...but times have changed they have not.

eelman
12-05-2006, 07:40 AM
You're not an A-Hole you just play one on the internet! :D

Seriuously, He has always been nice to me. And he does love the fishery, you have to respect that. He puit on a great seminar at RISAA...In fact his arogance had us all in stitches at times...it was loads of fun. Hey, I like the guy

RIROCKHOUND
12-05-2006, 07:46 AM
He's probably not a bad guy but I have heard too many stories. and even first hand, he has a holier than thou attitude. He does catch and tag a lot of fish..

Fish_Eye
12-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Great Post,

I agree with all the top name performers listed. I'm not trying to hyjack the thread but I'd love to know:

What would you folks like to see covered in a seminar?

Mike

reelecstasy
12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Great Post,

I agree with all the top name performers listed. I'm not trying to hyjack the thread but I'd love to know:

Mike

That is no Hijack, that is what i was looking for :tooth: :lurk:

Slipknot
12-05-2006, 08:55 AM

Mike

It's always nice if a speaker can talk about how to go about finding new spots from shore or how to go about the right way of getting access to shoreline for fishing purposes. People like to find their own spots. Speak about structure on a beach and how to spot it and where on a sandbar is the highest percentage of hookup to cast from etc.

The Dad Fisherman
12-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Last year at our Fund-raiser we had Tony Stetzko.....He did a great job also. Really down to earth guy.

Tidalist
12-05-2006, 09:56 AM
As far as topics - it's always good to see people showing their own unique approaches to fishing.

- Different tactics for specific locations
- Approaches for different times of year (early Spring, Fall run)
- Unique lures, rigging techniques, etc.

Anything as long as they don't show slide after slide of themselves holding big fish!

Flaptail
12-05-2006, 01:13 PM
The best seminar I ever attended was done by a guy named Dennis Sabo, who was a professor at Mass Maritime and a charter skipper of the boat "Peptide" out of Falmouth. I never ever since have seen a guy who could keep you on edge and learning the whole time he was speaking. Sadly he passed away a few years back but man he was the best.