View Full Version : Shallow Daytime Bass

Scotch Bonnet
06-18-2002, 08:21 PM
I have come across some decent bass(20+lbs) in the same shallow spot(2-3ft) a number of times in the morning/afternoon. They are spooky and won't hit artificials, but I can go right over them in the boat. Out of desparation today I dug up some clams and drifted them past there noses and no takes. There were some small blues being caught from shore so maybe thats what there keying on. Also big pods of very small bait in the area. I'm amazed at how many big fish are in this spot in the middle of the day right in casting distance from shore. Anybody have any suggestions as far as bait and presentation. I am gonna try to fill the livewell with small blues tomorrow.

Tattoo
06-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Try a 9 inch sluggo with no weight, just a hook. Twitch twitch.....a fish HAS to eat one of those even of they are spooky. Eels or dynamite next :)

Scotch Bonnet
06-18-2002, 08:35 PM
Tattoo, tried 6'' sluggo, 7"GS split tail(wicked action) and live clam :p . I think due to the fact its broad daylight and shallow water It'll have to be live and exactly what there feeding on. When that clam went right by that bass' face I thought for sure my reel would be singin - Big Letdown!

GBOUTDOORS
06-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Those fish know you are there and will not hit till you find a way to get in casting range with out the boat. How deep is the water? Can you get out of the boat and waid to them? We fish a large sand flat that is 4' deep or less and the only way to get the fish to hit in the day time is to get out of the boat and up close with light tackle and the baits that Tattoo mentioned. Just be sure your anchor is set good or it could be trouble and do not get caught up so much in the fishing that you do not keep an eye on the tide, the boat, and the bottom as you walk you do not want to walk into a channel that is over your head. I always wear a life saver of some kind when fishing this way. The new suspender type work great for this. Good luck.