View Full Version : George Tribute

MarshCappa
12-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I didn't know the man but I can relate to his passion for the beach and for surfcasting. This is the best front page I've ever seen on this site. A very fitting and touching tribute to a man that loved to fish and craft his plugs. Thanks John for doing this, it made me appreciate where I live and our sporting heritage of fishing.

piemma
12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
George and I fish together a lot in the 80's and 90's. I'll never forget one night at the Race when we were into a mega blitz. Nothing but Bass between 15 and 40 #. From 2:00 AM till sunrise the fish were right in front of us at the Second Rip. Geoge and I fished side by side that night and I remember putting back a fish that was about 33 and 1/2 inches. Geoge sees me and asked why the hell I put the fish back and I said it was a bit short. This was back when 34" was the minimum. Well about 10 miutes later the fish washes up about 10 feet down the shore. Yep, George grabs the fish, measures it and says, "Paulie, your tape is off by and inch". The fish went into the cooler on the front of his truck. This was right at the beginning of the commerical season and George use to sell fish so that was a money fish for him.
Another time him and Emilo go into a big fight (Emilo owned Nelsons for years). Well, George got himself banned from hanging at the shop. I can't recall what the fight was about but I think it was George selling plugs on the beach cheaper than he was selling them to Emilo. Anyway, George lived in Springfield MA so he packs up his old Wagoneer and heads West. This was before cell phones and I was spending a lot of time on the beach that summer. I'd call home every 3 or 4 days to check in and make sure all was well. I called my wife and she says George called and needs to talk to you. So I call George's home and he says "please go and talk to Emilo, I can't take not being on the beach. I went and talked to Emilo and got George's ban lifted. Geoge was eternally grateful and actually gave me a plug. You had to know how George valued his plugs to actually give one away.
The best story is about his 61# fish on Dec 1 at the Race. This was back before the FEDS took over so the guys use to put up tents. George caught this fish at about 2 one morning in December. he knew it was a good fish but wanted to keep fishing so he went back to his tent on the beach and buried the fish. About 8 the next morning he goes back and dug the fish up and brought it to PTown bait and Tackle. this was before nelsons. After being buried all night it still weighed 61#

Back Beach
12-11-2006, 07:27 AM
The cover pic sums it up. The guy lived for the beach, the fish, and the cameraderie.A legend indeed. George was one of the first guys I met out there around August 1986, right after the big blitz happened at Race Pt. Sadly I missed it, but George brought me up to speed about the goings on and was always friendly from that time on. It was rare in those days to have a confidant because everyone was fiercely competetive at the time($$$ invloved) and many resented George sharing with the newbies.
The cover story is funny too, George was known for mysteriously appearing at the first hint or smell of food.

Flaptail
12-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I find that I am a enigma of sorts, George actually gave me a bunch of plugs!

Thanks to a couple friends I now have a jointed giant GC swimmer!