View Full Version : Daughter of Habs' Bob Gainey Swept off ship

nightfighter
12-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Sad indeed. T&P for the family and the searchers. And she didn't have a PFD on?
http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2006/12/10/538637.html&cvqh=itn_sweaptoffship

Raven
12-11-2006, 05:50 AM
bad link

UpChunk
12-11-2006, 07:25 AM
here is a link from someone who posted it on the www.woodenboat.com online forum :http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20061209% 2frescue_search_061209&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True

likwid
12-11-2006, 08:33 AM
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: December 10, 2006
Filed at 12:38 p.m. ET

Bob Gainey's Daughter Swept Off Ship

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) -- The daughter of hockey Hall of Famer Bob Gainey was swept off a Nova Scotia ship during an Atlantic storm, and the U.S. Coast Guard is searching for her.

Laura Gainey, a 25-year-old crew member, was washed off a deck at the back of the vessel by a large wave Friday night. Her disappearance was confirmed Sunday by the Montreal Canadiens. Bob Gainey is the team's general manager.

A Coast Guard vessel searched through the night, and aircraft resumed searching at first light Sunday, Coast Guard spokeswoman Faith Wisinski said. The search is of an area about 475 miles southeast of Cape Cod, Mass.

As of noon, Gainey had been in the water 33 hours without a lifejacket. Wisinski said the water is warm, but it's expected hypothermia would ordinarily take a person's life after 36 hours.

Dan Moreland, the senior captain of the Picton Castle, said Laura Gainey is a volunteer on the tall ship. He called her a ''well-loved crew member,'' who is very fit and a strong swimmer.

Gainey learned the missing woman was his daughter on Saturday. Gauthier attended the Canadiens' 3-2 shootout loss to Buffalo on Saturday night at the Bell Centre. Players and coaches had a day off Sunday and were not available for comment.

The team said ''the thoughts and prayers of the entire Montreal Canadiens organization are with Mr. Gainey and his family.'' Bob Gainey is awaiting news on the search with his three other children, Anna, Colleen and Steve.

The club said Piere Gauthier, assistant general manager, will handle Gainey's responsibilities. Gainey also holds the title of executive vice president.

Moreland described the situation as ''completely devastating for everybody'' on the vessel, which undertakes voyages around the world. He said hundreds of former crew members of the ship have been contacting the Lunenburg headquarters to express concern.

''It could happen to any ship, to any captain,'' he said from headquarters. ''And, from my point of view, it's the captain's greatest fear.''

Gainey first joined the ship as a trainee in Cape Town, South Africa, in the last three months of the ship's world voyage.

''She is hardworking, someone who wanted to turn her life around. She was passionate about sailing, loves it and worked very hard,'' he said. ''She was no slouch.''

Bob Gainey, who turns 53 on Wednesday, won five Stanley Cups with Montreal during a 16-year career from 1973-89. He also won a championship as general manager of the Dallas Stars in 1999. His wife, Cathy, died of brain cancer in 1995 at 39.

likwid
12-11-2006, 08:55 AM
They jockey'd out there all weekend while the search was on. They'll probably call it off today.

likwid
12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Its over. Search was called off earlier.

RIP Laura.
Died doing what she loved.

70% of boating deaths come by drowning.
Remember that people.

BigFish
12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
What would be the cause of the other 30% of boating deaths????:confused:

likwid
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
What would be the cause of the other 30% of boating deaths????:confused:

27%: alcohol
3%: misc

PaulS
12-12-2006, 08:55 AM
So Gainey attended a hockey game after hearing that his daughter was washed overboard in the middle of the Atlantic???

likwid
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
So Gainey attended a hockey game after hearing that his daughter was washed overboard in the middle of the Atlantic???

What did you want him to do?
Sit at home and sob?

Swimmer
12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Likwid, how come no sospenders or some other like gear?

likwid
12-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Likwid, how come no sospenders or some other like gear?

Tends to be dangerous to be wearing excessive gear on a square rigger.
Too many things to get hung up on and get yourself hurt. Also they had a shoestring budget. I certainly wouldn't get on anything like that without my own personal gear and WOULD be wearing it in a big sea like that.

Also apparently she was off watch. (Why was she on deck if she was off watch?)

PaulS
12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
What did you want him to do?
Sit at home and sob?

That would be nice - would you have went to the game?

likwid
12-12-2006, 01:53 PM
That would be nice - would you have went to the game?

Considering it was while the search was still on, I would have found anything to get out and not sit at home steaming and fuming.

I've been in situations where people in my family have been almost lost offshore, and it sucks, but it doesn't mean I'm going to sit at home by the phone waiting for bad news.

MarshCappa
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
When a person who has been with an organization as long as him, that is his family and his support group. He obviously has a big support group and large extended family in Montreal so I don't critisize him one bit for going to the game. I'm sure he was at the game physically but mentally he was with his daughter. It his way of copping and my heart goes out to him and his family.

PaulS
12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I would say that both of your responses are not what the majority of the population would do. Your support group would expect you to be with the rest of your family or with the authorities doing the searching - asking them what they are doing,etc rather than going on with your life as if nothing happened. This was not 7 days after she disappeared, but rather the same night he was told.

I'd be home sobbing.

The Dad Fisherman
12-12-2006, 03:19 PM
"Don't Judge a Man unless you've walked a Mile in His Shoes"

Hockey may be where he finds solace. That was his passion for his entire life.....I bet some people on this board would go fishing to get the same peace of mind at such a tragic time.

likwid
12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
or with the authorities doing the searching

You, him, anyone else other than the CG, or other professional search groups would get in the way. Period.

SAR work is NOT done with family, not even if they're trained. Emotions get in the way.

And anyhow, this was not some kid lost in the woods.
She might as well have been on the moon.

You can't just sit around and waste away. It does nobody any good.

PaulS
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
You, him, anyone else other than the CG, or other professional search groups would get in the way. Period.

SAR work is NOT done with family, not even if they're trained. Emotions get in the way.

And anyhow, this was not some kid lost in the woods.
She might as well have been on the moon.

You can't just sit around and waste away. It does nobody any good.

So if the auth. call and say a family member is missing you don't question them or ask how their going to search, etc. b/c your worrried about getting in the way?:laugha:

He (or anyone else) is a callous individual and needs help if they can get over their daughter's disappearance within a few hours. He didn't even know if she was alive or dead at that point (if the auth. thought she was dead they wouldn't have continued searching).

Next time someone posts here that their family or friends are sick or have died, are you guys going to tell them to stop sobbing and that they shouldn't sit around and that they should get on with your lives?

stripersnipr
12-12-2006, 04:16 PM
So if the auth. call and say a family member is missing you don't question them or ask how their going to search, etc. b/c your worrried about getting in the way?:laugha:

He (or anyone else) is a callous individual and needs help if they can get over their daughter's disappearance within a few hours. He didn't even know if she was alive or dead at that point (if the auth. thought she was dead they wouldn't have continued searching).

Next time someone posts here that their family or friends are sick or have died, are you guys going to tell them to stop sobbing and that they shouldn't sit around and that they should get on with your lives?

I'm sure he had already been informed as to what efforts were being taken to find his daughter. Different people deal with situations differently and to make the assumption that he just didn't care and went to a Hockey game is just wrong. My friends wife died a couple of years ago from cancer and the day she died her twelve year son old pitched in a baseball game that night. He wasn't being callous, he doesn't need help, he was doing something that helped ease his pain.

PaulS
12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Did he know that she was sick and about to die or was she healthy and died suddenly - I'm guessing that she was sick and that she was expected to pass shortly.

stripersnipr
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Did he know that she was sick and about to die or was she healthy and died suddenly - I'm guessing that she was sick and that she was expected to pass shortly.

Knowing his mother is dying lessened the impact for a kid to the point he feels comfortable enough with it that he just pushed it aside to play baseball? Far from it. The point here is people deal with tragedy and emotions differently and there is nothing wrong with what either of them did. Do you think Gainey was going to do hop in his car and go out there and look for her? It appears he instead chose to be with people he was close to and await word. I actually find it hard to believe that someone could pass judgement on the guy without even knowing him or having experienced the same situation he has.

PaulS
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Yup, I calling him callous for leaving the rest of his family to go attend a hockey game. If as you say he was closer to his hockey players rather than to his family that doesn't speak highly for him also. He choose to go to a hockey game rather than comfort the rest of his children - in my mind that doesn't speak highly of his parenting skills either.

No I have been lucky and haven't had a family member disappear. However, when a family member passes in my family, there are about 25-35 people at the hospital/house within 1 hour or so everyone drops what they are doing (including vacation plans) to be with the family to express support or do what they can. I guess I'm fortunate to have a family that thinks that way.

The reporter also thought his attending a game a few hours after being told his daughter disappeared unusual enough that he put it in his story.

stripersnipr
12-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Yup, I calling him callous for leaving the rest of his family to go attend a hockey game. If as you say he was closer to his hockey players rather than to his family that doesn't speak highly for him also. He choose to go to a hockey game rather than comfort the rest of his children - in my mind that doesn't speak highly of his parenting skills either.

No I have been lucky and haven't had a family member disappear. However, when a family member passes in my family, there are about 25-35 people at the hospital/house within 1 hour or so everyone drops what they are doing (including vacation plans) to be with the family to express support or do what they can. I guess I'm fortunate to have a family that thinks that way.

The reporter also thought his attending a game a few hours after being told his daughter disappeared unusual enough that he put it in his story.

I guess I missed the part of the story that said he left his grieving family behind. I'm glad you find comfort in the way your family handles grief and I'm sure Bob Gainey wont find fault in it.

likwid
12-12-2006, 05:03 PM

Sure, you can question them, but they're only going to give you as much information as they can. You obviously didn't get this. And you could ask and beg and offer to pay them off or fight with them to try to 'help' but they're not going to let you.

He (or anyone else) is a callous individual and needs help if they can get over their daughter's disappearance within a few hours.

Thats a rather pathetic and shallow assumption to make.

He didn't even know if she was alive or dead at that point (if the auth. thought she was dead they wouldn't have continued searching).

They called it off eventually though. And I'm sure he knew as well as they did, it was a corpse search after the first 24 hours.

If they're just going to complain and whine and not find a constructive way to cope I'm going to tell them to seek professional help immediately.

PaulS
12-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Actually I might have mistated that - it says he has 3 other children so saying he left them behind might not of been true.