View Full Version : "Stripers Gone Wild" Mike Laptew says THANK YOU!

Fish_Eye
12-15-2006, 08:34 AM
I want to say thank you to everyone who has purchased my latest DVD. “Stripers Gone Wild.” I would also like to thank those of you that posted such encouraging remarks after having viewed it. I work very hard to try and bring anglers a unique and educational product that is as entertaining as it is informative. When I read reviews like some of the ones posted here, it makes all the days of crummy weather, blown out conditions, dirty water, fish that won't perform for the camera...or even show up, equipment failure, editing nightmares, hard disk crashes, and all the other less than glamorous parts of the job well worth the effort.

You folks are great and the crew at The Saltwater Edge and Joe Lyons of Surfcasting-Rhode Island have been terrific at getting the DVDs out to everyone who wanted them for the holidays.

It's so important for me to get feedback from you folks. I'm always trying to improve my work and deliver unique content that is exactly what you people want to see. I hope that my underwater perspective into the secret world of stripers will help you connect with more of them.

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to thank you in person at the upcoming blueberry social in Newport. A fine tradition here at S-B with many funny stories.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a dear friend and I was completely blown away by it, here's what he had to say:

I think “Stripers Gone Wild” is AWESOME—and no one will ever match this work and the incredible information, beauty and advice for striper fishermen. This is a landmark production!
I really like your narration and the selection of words is superb and I loved the opening.
It’s very easy to look at any specific subject--the friendliest DVD to use I’ve seen.
The organization is superb and anglers will love the close ups of prey—and the look at the seasons.
The film is not only instructive—but is a work of art—truly beautiful stuff.
Mike I have never been as impressed with any tape or DVD as this one—it is truly a masterpiece.

Congratulations Old Friend,

--Lefty Kreh
World-renowned author and fishing personality; member of the IGFA Hall of Fame, Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, and Fly Fishing Hall of Fame

I humbly thank you all and wish you the best of times this holiday season.

RIJIMMY
12-15-2006, 10:59 AM
I know mine is wrapped and under the tree.......cant wait!

crash
12-15-2006, 11:53 AM
I know mine is wrapped and under the tree.......cant wait!

Same here, Its killing me:smash:

spinncognito
12-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Same here, Its killing me:smash:

I have been very tempted to unwrap it, view it and re-wrap it while my girl is at work. kinda feel like a child again..... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! :soon:

zacs
12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
me three
http://mygeyiq.com/forum/images/smilies/w00t.gif

striperondafly
12-15-2006, 12:20 PM
just ordered one for me and one for my bro for Xmas - thanks Mike I heard it's killa!

redneck24
12-15-2006, 12:42 PM
i have to wait until my birthday :wall:

PaulS
12-15-2006, 12:47 PM
I can't wait to see the DVD.

Is that how lefty really signs his emails?

Flaptail
12-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Mike, I saw that dvd yesterday, it's on my Christmas wish list. That has to be the best underwater footage of bass I ever saw and I own a few of your earlier works. Don't know how the bass got so close to you if it was me I would have been screaming so much with excitement those fish would have boogied 40 miles in one day from there. Thanks for your good work with these projects!

Mr. Sandman
12-16-2006, 08:50 AM
It’s killing me not looking at it. Placed my pre order and it arrived very promptly but is being given as a gift and I am trying to set a good example for my kids by waiting till Christmas to open it. I try not to think about it to get by but the reviews by others here make it even harder. I feel like an anxious 4 year old waiting for Christmas to come.:err:

Mike, the next time you release this something of this magnitude please do it in June.:chased:

I am thinking of have a few fishing friends over during the holiday and I bet this ends up running in a continuous loop on the big screen with lots of mouths ajar.

JohnR
12-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I've heard from several people that it is fantastic - have not seen it yet :soon: :hee: :wid:

Sluggoslinger
12-16-2006, 09:15 AM
me three
http://mygeyiq.com/forum/images/smilies/w00t.gif

Me 4!!:humpty:

shadow
12-16-2006, 10:55 AM
I'am going to watch mine again today!:bounce: no way was I going to sit on that thing till x-mas.very well put together with some great footage makes this dvd an A+.at first I thought wow 90 min this is going to be draged out who can watch 90 min of a fish?But the truth is I wanted to see more in each chapter.that is way I'am going to get in the water this year and view some of my holes from underneath the water.the only thing I would like to see next time is some underwater footage of some artificials in action.:kewl:

mrmacey
12-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Recieved two videos today will be watching it later when things calm down.

mrmacey
12-19-2006, 04:35 AM
Is mike that was awsome your narration kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie I am not saying what is in it because a lot of people have not seen it but I will tell you it is worth the wait this was the first movie Ive seen that you did besides 3-4 years ago at the tctfn when you did a show I love diving and you bring it right to the living room I am going to watch it again today on my 42" tv Ill be right beside you down there.
Thank You
Michael

fish4striper
12-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Watched mine the day it came. Mike, Great stuff. Can't believe the footage you get up close to them. Keep it coming!

Slipknot
12-22-2006, 07:36 AM
I have one under the tree also, but I have waited this long for it that I can wait. I'm sure it will be worth the wait Mike, if it's anything like the clips we have seen over the years at several events.

Fish_Eye
12-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am humbled by the response to my new DVD; I’m so happy that you folks are getting so much pleasure (and hopefully a valuable tip here and there) out of watching those magnificent fish pass by my lens.

It is so cool knowing that on a very special holiday, thousands of anglers and their families will be viewing a production that I poured my heart and soul into. I love it when I hear back from someone that says my whole family watched it from start to finish and now they have a better understanding of why I’m so obsessed with this sport, why I leave a warm bed in the middle of the night, and why I spend hours on-line at S-B.com. :wave:

Best fishes to all and may you catch large -- happy holidays to you and yours.

Mike

bttfish
12-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Mine too!! Under the tree and tape to death!!! :bounce: :shocked:

Sluggoslinger
12-22-2006, 12:17 PM
This is killing me. I just want to watch it!!!

Mr. Sandman
12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I finally got to see SGW this AM. Wow. This is probably the most definitive work ever done on this subject. Blows away any other videos on this topic that is for sure, even your own past work. Looked like a herculean effort to compile all this. The table of contents chapter alone is very impressive. I wonder how many man hours it took to do all this? Probably needs to be measured in man-years. Well done Mike!Well done. :claps:

my favorite parts? : The sounds of those bass swimming by and the slow-mo action shots. IMO this is some groundbreaking work, you don't see/hear stuff like that every day. Was the "clicking" sound made by nearby crabs?

onecastmike2003
12-25-2006, 02:29 PM
great DVD but did a little spot burring don,t ya think!
RHM:nailem:

Christian
12-25-2006, 05:14 PM
omg soooooooo awsome, best christmas gift in forever!
love those huge fish in cutty section.

Bob Thomas
12-26-2006, 01:28 AM
I opened my gifts this morning and low and behold, Stripers Gone Wild! I can't wait! So many great reviews I'm dying to see it :jump: Now if only work would slow down so I can watch it! :soon: :soon: :soon:

Roger
12-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I agree with everything Sandman wrote. It was clearly an amazing amount of work and provided valuable insights into behaviors and habitat. It confirmed a number of things that I thought I knew, and caused me to reassess others.

Great job Mike. :jump:

capecodder
12-26-2006, 11:50 AM
My wife took the hint and I found the DVD under the tree. Have not had a chance to watch it yet as my boy has the DVD monopolized with Cars and Star Wars. Soon....

jim sylvester
12-26-2006, 12:06 PM
watched it today

nice footage, chapters are a nice touch

Man there are a lot of SKINNY fish out there.....

well worth the wait, defintely lived up to the hype

nice work mike :cheers:

Skitterpop
12-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Great DVD :kewl: Things seen only through your lens....Thank you and Best of the New Year 2007 to you.

Nice work :kewl:

Thank you!
Mike

FittyPoundah
12-27-2006, 08:32 AM
My Dad got me it for XMas, and it is really sweet. Great Job! So far I think my favorite shot are the slow mo's of the stripers in the swells. Really great footage. I'm up to the 'Hunk section and already I'm waiting for spring!

Nebe
12-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Was the "clicking" sound made by nearby crabs?

feeding blackfish make quite a racket :think:

Raider Ronnie
12-27-2006, 07:29 PM
My birthday is coming and I told my wife that I want this dvd,
so I'm need to know whats the easiest way to get it,
order it online ???
Thanks

Bob Thomas
12-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Ronnie,

Saltwateredge is a sponsor here. I believe they have it. You can try this link:

http://www.saltwateredge.com/PROD//LAP

Man I can't way to see it!!

Pete_G
12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
There's always a post Holiday rush on things like DVDs, Van Staals, and other toys. It's the "I didn't get what I wanted for Christmas" buying time now... :hihi:

bttfish
12-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Awsome video... Learn a lot... Thank Pete for getting it to us before Christmas.. We can always count on ya.. My bro love his Plug Bag.. as do I... Happy New Year...:bgi:

Oh yeah.. Thank you Mike for making this video.. It was great.. Make more... I like to learn about Tautogs... Salmons.. Trouts...from local ponds !!!!!

Al in Westport
12-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Mike,

Got to add my congratulations on a great video, top notch!

Thanks, Al

JohnR
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi Al :wavey:

beamie
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Boy,

Got my present in the mail from SWE yesterday and waltched SGW last night. What a great production. The one thing that stuck out at me and I guess not surprising was the lack of fat fish. Mike called this the new breed. There were a couple bellies that went down but most fish bellies and body shapes aft of the head seem to go up/slim than down/fat.

striperondafly
01-11-2007, 11:27 AM
you can thank Omega Protein for the lack of guts as well as the depleted Herring stocks :(

Fish_Eye
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Striperondafly,

You've got that right...the fish out of the Chesapeake area are not getting the right forage when they need it the most. Omega needs to have their quotas cut back even more. I attended the public hearings and spoke against the current cap as being way too liberal a quota. Furthermore there are significant problems with mycobacteriosis that is being swept under the rug.

I found out just yesterday that there is a move to outlaw chumming for stripers because it could contribute to the problem by actually feeding the bacteria when it’s done in the low salinity backwater areas of the Bay.

The striper fishing fleet tends to gravitate to certain areas where up to 100 boats anchor up and then chum like mad. It’s getting less productive each year and the bottom in a lot of these areas is turning into dead zones -- void of life, including worms!

The myco problem is a lot like AIDS in the early years…everyone said it wasn’t their problem; it was a problem within the gay community. We now know better. The percentage of fish that are infected is staggering and it’s a death sentence. You don’t see that much written about it because nobody wants to piss on the birthday candles that the striper “recovery” represents…it’s the ONLY success that fishery management has to hang their hat on and they don’t want to give it a black eye.

Don’t forget, a lot of those fish from the Chesapeake are on loan to us in the summer.

Again, I just want to say thank you so much for your kind words regard SGW, I am truly humbled by some of your comments.

Mike

TC23
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Mike

i bought your video from SOl on a hunch. It is incredible, I am learning alot. I think I missed you at the EastBay seminar. I wish that hadn't happened. thank again:cheers:

Squibby17
01-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I was dissappointed I didn't get it for christmas through I asked for it. I did get "On the Run" and read it in one night which made me want SGW yet even more. Luckly my birthday is next week and I sent the link to buy it on my wish list!

EricM
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I just want to add my thanks to this list- each time I watch this latest dvd a new detail or nuance comes through- its very clear that a great deal of time and thought went into every frame of this production. Your passion for the striper and for the sport is evident throughout the piece, and many thanks to you for choosing to pick up the underwater camera and work so hard to share with us your unique underwater view- it has changed the way that I look at the water and think about fishing for stripers.

Thanks again, please keep up the quest!

wentfishn47
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Mike great piece of work learn some new things:thanks:

MrHunters
03-04-2007, 02:50 PM
just watched my copy... perfect timing to get the blood moving...makes me want to unwrap that boat now....

do me a favor.... let me know when your going to cuttyhunk so i can go the next week.... noreasters follow you like plauge :)

awsome work mike....just awsome

BassDawg
03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
ABSOLUTELY FEESHNOMINAL!!!!

What an aweinspiring production. Thank You is too mild of an expression to relate my deepsest gratitude for the information, action, fish-eye's view packed footage you've assembled for us all!!! The entire Striper Coast is indebted to your heart-felt love of and your profound dedication to our most beloved quarry as witnessed by the mountainous effort you've afforded them and us.

I cain't get enough, nor do I want to, of any and all chapters. The ease with which one can pick and choose where to go, or to play over, and over, and over one's favorites speaks to how well you've formated our journey into your truly amazing world!!!

The only drawback is the grim realization that nothing short
of laying into those COWHUNAHS at The Hunk will ever suffice!!:hihi: :hihi:

KUDOS, Mr Mike, KUDOS INDEED!!!