View Full Version : squid bars

blue oyster
12-17-2006, 12:18 PM
its that time of year to start buying gear for next year . i need to get some squid bars , due to space limitions (18cc) and and realisticly only being able to fish two lines (fishing alone) i want to get 2-3 bars , i was thinking of getting 1 black (hot color last year) but not sure of other colors , also who has the best squid bars without breaking the bank , any help would be appreacated , thanks

likwid
12-17-2006, 12:26 PM
1 black 1 purple 1 pink

thefishingfreak
12-17-2006, 03:34 PM
fishermans outfitters bars. buy one for 75 bucks then copy it.
black bars and orange worked best for us this year.

keeperreaper
12-17-2006, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with Freak. Orange is a go to color for my boat.

Uncle Matt
12-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Me too. Fishermans Outfitters is the place to go. We did well on brown as well as black bars from FO this year. Buy early because they ran out of some colors this summer.

MTC
12-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Reeldragingtackle.com has some nice Green Machine bars that I've been stocking up on... Can I wrap them and put them under the tree to me from Santa and get away with it

Merry Christmas to all...

Gotofish
12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Big Jay here on the site makes mean squid bars.

MakoMike
12-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Best bars I've seen were the Canyon Runner bars or Fred Archer's Bars.

stripersnipr
12-18-2006, 02:43 PM
If your up for it theres some $ to be saved rigging your own.

MakoMike
12-18-2006, 04:45 PM
If your up for it theres some $ to be saved rigging your own.

But you still need some good bars to start with.

fish4striper
12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm gonna buy a black bar and an orange bar, what color stingers would you guys go with?

big jay
12-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Big Jay here on the site makes mean squid bars.

Thanks for the plug, Ed. SaltwaterEdge carries my bars - I use 9" squids on high speed bars as well as 6" jet bars and mini-green machine bars -- I actually get my squid and bars from the same Distributor as Canyon Runner (the guy MMIKe is talking about).

You can't go wrong with the fisherman's outfitter bars - they are very good quality, and catch well. I have about 15 or so of the same ones (same squid, I just buy them wholesale and rig them myself-similiar set-up). I use both the 13's and 18's - Their patterns have been used for years with great results.

If anyone has any of the old school moldcraft still around - those really raise fish. I remember the first year they came out (like '83, I was 11) Frank Johnson was selling them out of the back of his station wagon in the Barnstable Harbor parking lot - they were $100 back then and my dad could only afford 1, but they were the sh*t - those things were deadly, they just get destroyed if a bluefish even looks at them. I've got a bunch of old ones in the basement that I'm going to rig up this winter just for kicks.

MakoMike
12-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Jay,
I think I still have some of them around. How you gonna rig them, on a bar or as a daisy chain?

big jay
12-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I think I'll do a full bar - that way when the first school of bluefish comes up and absolutely destroys them, I'll remember why technology is a good thing, and I'll put the shell squids back out.

MakoMike
12-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I think I'll do a full bar - that way when the first school of bluefish comes up and absolutely destroys them, I'll remember why technology is a good thing, and I'll put the shell squids back out.

I'd probably go as Bat $hit as the first time it happened to me! :D

Hooper
12-22-2006, 08:26 PM
We have a pink 13" Fisherman's Outfitter bar that never swam right all season long, it would swim sideways, roll on itself from time to time, generally marched to the beat of it's own drum.... but with God as my witness, that rig was dealy this season. We called it Retardo Rig and it brought them in for some reason....if it ain't broke, why fix it?! Can't wait for July!

MTC
12-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Good looking dog... I just added a second to my pen yesterday...

Uncle Matt
12-23-2006, 04:10 PM
By the way, I was at Fishermans Outfitters in Gloucester this past week and was speaking with the owner. You should see the new half beek bars they have made. They are rigged like the squid bars but use either 9 or 10 inch rubber ballyhoo. The owner had the kid working there make or invent one this past summer because of all of the half beeks around and the bar did very well. It's new for the 2007 catalog. He also has a new supplier for the wooden birds for 2007.

Van
12-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Agreed, buy one then make your own. I've bought 1 and made 4.
Mine work very well and we got fish on all of them.

Just shop around and buy the parts and tools. Even ebay worked well for me.

harritchate
12-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I just went to FO in plymouth yesterday and it is truly a guys candy shop.. cant beat the prices either...plus if you have a special request they can make it up for you in shop

thefishingfreak
12-24-2006, 01:18 PM
i'm not allowed to go in there anymore :hidin: