View Full Version : Remember???

BigFish
12-17-2006, 10:21 PM
When you were a kid? Christmas was fun right? Damn I wish I was a kid again cause I think I hate it more every year!! Its all about money, money, money!!! My biggest problem this year is my Mother!! We have always gone to her house for Christmas Day! This year I want to stay home with Fishchick and the kids and relax!!! I don't pick my kids up until Christmas morning about 10:00 am and its an hour there and an hour back so there is 2 hours in the car and I am not at my Mothers yet!!! My Mother and my Nephew smoke like chimneys and I can't take it anymore!!! We all sit around and watch each other open gifts that are just boxes with money in them??? No thought, no sentiment and no effort!!! I just want to stay home and enjoy my kids and let them open their gifts and enjoy them without rushing them here and there!!! My Mother gives me the "guilt" act!!! "This could be my last Christmas....you never know!":rolleyes: "NEWSFLASH" Ma.....I could die tomorrow just as easily as you....it might be my last Christmas!!!!:rollem:

I just want the Holidays over!!!:mad:

Raven
12-17-2006, 10:39 PM
He always drove us to places....-> other relative's homes
to celebrate until finally one year he just stopped.....

Because he had declared....
"i'm staying home from now on...."
"if they want to come celebrate Christmas ...
.................they know where i live."
(and that was that ...)
and from then on the grandparents ,Aunts and Uncles
all came to our house. My poor mother had
to cook for an Army, But Dad was quite happy!

what ever he said............. was the ...... LAW ! :rotf2:

Squid kids Dad
12-17-2006, 10:42 PM
BigFish.(scrooge).Relax..Just put in some xmas music (James taylor) and relax...Your Mom wont be around forever and when she is gone you will miss her...You gotta do what you gotta do..Especially around the hoildays..Why not invite your Mom and nephew to your house??

The Dad Fisherman
12-17-2006, 10:42 PM
I agree with you 110%.....the best part of the Holidays is Christmas Morning. Sitting in front of the tree with the kids, the smell of cinnamon buns coming from the oven. I can do with out all the other family/in-law crap. It completely sucks the enjoyment out of the holiday for me.

chief10
12-17-2006, 10:49 PM
go christmas eve.Then spend the following day at home, but either way.. Go. you'll feel better after. I always beat myself up about driving everywhere then I realize its one day a year.

justplugit
12-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Larry, I agree it's not anywhere close to the way it was.It's tough to break the family traditions as they are so much a part of us. Looking back, sounds like your Mom gave you some great memories. Things are always changing but you have to keep the traditions alive for your own kids.

All great ideas posted here. I might add that your Mom just might like to come to your house at this time of her life. I know my wife and i, at our age, would welcome going to one of our kid's house for Christmas.:)

BTW- know what ya mean about guilt trips. :hihi: Like the old Raymond show where Marie says, "someday you'll turn around and i wont be here." So Raymond makes a motion, turns himself around and says, "NOT TODAY" :doh: :D

BigFish
12-18-2006, 05:37 AM
I forgot to mention we have my family and Fishchicks family and several friends over on Christmas Eve for a party! We work hard on this all week and then when its over we are beat Christmas Day! Having seen everyone Christmas Eve I don't see why my Mother needs to see me for 3 more hours Christmas Day! 70/30 I will be starting my own "tradition"!;)

Raven
12-18-2006, 06:27 AM
is some of them....attachable reindeer antlers for your car....

makes ya drive faster on christmas day....:grins:

Fishpart
12-18-2006, 08:15 AM
B/F sounds like you need:smokin:

chris L
12-18-2006, 12:14 PM
larry follow your heart . you dont have your sons with you everyday so for you Christmas day is an important day for you their Dad . I dont go anywhere for Christmas day and havent since my girls were born (12years ) . At first my mom and Dad didnt understand until I splained it to them . I want my kids to expierence the same ( or as close as possible ) kinda Christmas I had as a youngster . We have over 50 people Christmas eve and open gifts from everyone except Santa gifts . Now that my Dad is no longer celebrating Chrismas as a mortal , we invite my Mom and step dad over for the day for lunch and dinner . works well for Me . I hate the rushing around from place to place like I had to do as a teenager ( divorced family and girlfriends family ) . My Mom seems cool with it cause she doesnt have to clean up after everyone leaves . My other brothers live out of state .

do what works best for you and your Boys but do remember your Mother may leave this earth before you and you dont want any regrets to haunt you for the rest of your life . I know about that all to well .

chris L
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
some one hijacked my computer name . that wasnt me
now ba hum bug

Gloucester2
12-18-2006, 12:21 PM
The 6 weeks from Thanksgiving to New Year's is the longest 9 months of the year . . . holidays suck

justplugit
12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
We work hard on this all week and then when its over we are beat Christmas Day!

You are at stage #3 in your life BF,

you ARE Santa Claus. :btu:

Raven
12-18-2006, 12:50 PM
get there early ....heh heh heh....

just kidden ..... lol

Raven
12-18-2006, 12:54 PM
You better watch out,
You better not cry,
Better not pout,
I'm telling you why:
Santa Claus is coming to town.
He's making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out
Who's naughty and nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town.

BigFish
12-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Chris L...I could not agree more! Thats what I want for my kids....to experience what I did...staying home, and just enjoying the day instead of getting carted around everywhere! Try explaining it to my Mother?!?!?!?! She just does not get it!

The Dad Fisherman
12-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Chris L...I could not agree more! Thats what I want for my kids....to experience what I did...staying home, and just enjoying the day instead of getting carted around everywhere! Try explaining it to my Mother?!?!?!?! She just does not get it!

Its almost like we're living in a parallel universe. Thats all I wanted, we always hung out all day and played with our toys...now try explaining that to Both, Mom and Mom-in-law.

Christmas eve at My mothers, christmas day at her mother's and then my reward is that on the folowing weekend I get to experience The Real World - Backwoods Maine addition with her mothers side of the family......drives me crazy.

CAL
12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I used to do all that running around. My parents are divorced, and so am I, and my kids have different moms. Getting the kids to everyone else's house was impossible, and the kids hated it because they never got to play with anything before we were off to somewhere else.

I finally put my foot down and told my family if they want to see me or the kids, they gotta come to my house cuz we're staying in and playing :D

Christmas is for the kids. Stick to your guns Larry, and stay home on Christmas day.

BigFish
12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I think I am gunna!:)

Uncle Matt
12-18-2006, 11:38 PM
I've got a great big Christmas hug for you Larry.... :bounce:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really though, you can never be quite sure how much time any of us have left. Deal with the inconviences now Larry because if something ever happened to your Mom you'd regret it for years to come.

Holidays are stressful times. That's all your feeling kid. The stress. In a few weeks it will 2007 and you will be you old grumpy self.