View Full Version : fed up with living in the northeast?

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
this might be a better post for the gop forum ... but ...

do any of you just wake up one day and say to yourself ...

"i've had it!" with living in the northeast?

- skyrocketing housing prices
- stupid property taxes to boot
- overpriced contractors who don't return your calls
- over priced __________.
- ridiculous traffic jams and long commutes
- snooty people
- urban leftard pussification infecting all aspects of sociopolitics/law
- highly cyclical and unstable employment (i.e., wall street, IT, etc)
- $35 plugs
- $800 and $1,200 spinning reels
- a$$-numbing cold winters

= in short, $hitty quality of life. :yak:

it seems like the only thing that is keeping me here is the fishing, and even then i have to drive a few hours to get to the good fishing.

if i could start all over, i'd move a little south (coast, i know, hurricanes and all) and get away from all this rat race $hit.

:alien:

Raven
12-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I've have been fed up since 1970....

i left twice....and i'm back again...

this time..i'll be heading North instead of
west or south...

been there .....done that...

The Dad Fisherman
12-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I lived in Northern California for awhile (Great Summers, Winters sucked-nothing but rain every single day), South Carolina for awhile (People need to get over that whole Civil war thing and its just to Friggin hot in the Summer), and the Chicago area for a spell (People just didn't talk to you...period).

Nothing Beats New England in my opinion. I like having 4 seasons, I can be at the Ocean, or the Woods in an hour or so. If I feel the need for the City I can be in Boston in an Hour.

I will say the Summers in Northern California do Rock...always 80-85 and Sunny for like 5 months straight.

Mr.Mom
12-19-2006, 10:32 AM
One word answer.....

YES

My wife and I have been round and round the past year about this...for a time I had to live in NJ....that's no longer the case...problem is she's whipped by her family and can't go far enough away to make it worth ($) the move...

To make a long story short looks like we're staying for a while longer.....

likwid
12-19-2006, 10:36 AM
SoCal is WAY worse for any of those things you listed.

2br hole in the wall is over a $1mil?? You gotta be kidding me.
Think 93 traffic is bad? Try the 405 at 9am. You'll wish you were back on 93.

Mugz
12-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Let me know when you find that ideal place......

The grass is always greener.

Had a buddy that moved down to South Carolina. Raved about it before he left. Just moved back here after a year. Says the place was HELL. Sucky pay, few decent jobs, rednecks who will steal the shirt off your back....

I lived in SoCal for 3 years, then moved to Hawaii for 3 years.

And I've been back here for 12 years......I realized what I missed.

tattoobob
12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I love living here, I won't even leave for vacation, I just go to a different part of the ocean. This is the only place that you can catch Striped Bass from April to November. People suck everywhere you go they are either snooty or dumb. Left, right who cares nothing changes anyway

zacs
12-19-2006, 10:56 AM
People suck everywhere you go they are either snooty or dumb. Left, right who cares nothing changes anyway

Amen to that brotha!

I have lived in So.Cal, No.Cal, and Colorado, and I spend a lot of time in FL for work. Overall, I think the northeast is the best. especially RI.

I wouldn't mind having a house in FL to get away from the winter, though. Someday....

Mugz
12-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't care what the weather is, how nice the people are, or how much money I could make.......I will NEVER live more than an hour away from the Ocean.

Raven
12-19-2006, 11:15 AM
(People need to get over that whole Civil war thing ),

it's so true.... i had told my boss i was from southern Cal
which was a true statement...as i had just left there after being there for around ten years.....ok
and i felt more like a californian than a new englander...even though i was born here.....

3rd week into the job...I'm doing great... and i happened to blurt out
i was born in the boston area....when asked!
the guy next to me got right up
walked over to the boss.... and i was instantly issued a paycheck
and sent on my way... :hs:

my point being.... Them forgetting (getting over the civil war thing) :point: aint likely to happen any time soon.

RIJIMMY
12-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I post something similar every winter, my wife and I get to a point where we said we have had it.
The industry I work in is centered around here, NY, or San Francisco. I lived in SF for 6 yrs and moved here, having grown up in New England.
I love and need the Ocean for fishing, recreation and soul cleansing, I need a place to make some good $, I need culture - music, food, intersting people. One thing that was a big culture shock for us coming back east was teh people, no offense to any of you guys, but New Englanders are kind of dull. We try to get frienedly with our neighbors but all they do is go to the Cape for vacation or sit around and watch the PAts or Sox. Im not a spectator, I like to DO things. We took some trips to the SOuth Coast last year, Savannah, Raleigh, Charlotte. All nice areas, but they are surrounded by the "poor" south and I'm not crazy about it. I'd love to go back to California, but it is so crowded, expensive and I;m not psyched about earthquakes. We have been focusing on living closer to the ocean, with a reasobnale commute. There is no perfect place

MakoMike
12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
If I could make a living out there and bring the kids with me, I'd move to Hawaii in a heartbeat. Big Island, not Oahu.

ThePocket
12-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I love New England.

Raven
12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
likwid is right on the money

you get stuck in traffic out there sometimes.....
especially in L.A> (los Angelos)

all five lanes stopped dead....
you might as well shut off your engine to save on fuel.
it's wicked expensive out there ...

after twenty minutes ...you feel like abandoning your car.

then you start wishin for a helicopter rescue....
it's that insane...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
my father in law paid 30,000 for his house origionally
way back when... (40's) what we call a shack....
here in new england

he recently sold it for $530,000.00 dollars
in almost the same condition :uhuh:

chris L
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
you forgot the poor quality in the prostitutes in the north east

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 12:01 PM
you forgot the poor quality in the prostitutes in the north east

Chrissie, that falls into the "overpriced _________" category. :angel:

BTW, I have never considered commiefornia as an option. That place should be nuked with a giant microwave and re-settled with normal people.

Adamfishes
12-19-2006, 12:02 PM
What about moving out of the country completly to the carribean or south pacific?

Swimmer
12-19-2006, 12:09 PM
The only good thing about the house prices is if you own one allready. I pity the 20 and 30 yr. olds trying to get the down payment together in this economy.

Regardless though of everything else you mentioned Bassturbed I still love this area.

Fishpart
12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Lived and spent extended vacations in enough places to realize that I like RI in spite of it's failings.

kevin d
12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
I've lived in SC for a total of 10 years, 7 this time and 3 before. I miss a lot of things about RI but there is a lot I don't miss. There is a lot to like down here but there are lots of things to dislike. My retirement check goes much further down here and I haven't had to shovel out of my driveway yet. Lots of folks come down here demanding New England pay and act insulted when they don't get it. It costs less so you make less. Perfect is a state of mind, not one of the United States. Just try to find somewhere you will be happy.
By the way, Charlotte and Raleigh aren't on the coast :)

Mike P
12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
this might be a better post for the gop forum ... but ...

do any of you just wake up one day and say to yourself ...

"i've had it!" with living in the northeast?

- skyrocketing housing prices plenty available for under $300K around here
- stupid property taxes to boot mine are under $2000
- overpriced contractors who don't return your calls like that isn't true anywhere you go
- over priced __________. 3 factory outlet malls within 5 miles
- ridiculous traffic jams and long commutes my 31 mile commute takes me about 25 minutes
- snooty people In Buzzards Bay? :hihi:
- urban leftard pussification infecting all aspects of sociopolitics/lawGive North Carolina 20 years and see what happens there, too
- highly cyclical and unstable employment (i.e., wall street, IT, etc) two words--self employment
- $35 plugs M&Ds is a ten minute drive
- $800 and $1,200 spinning reels Just say "no"
- a$$-numbing cold winters 3 miles of woods behind my house and a wood stove

it seems like the only thing that is keeping me here is the fishing, and even then i have to drive a few hours to get to the good fishing.

if i could start all over, i'd move a little south (coast, i know, hurricanes and all) and get away from all this rat race $hit.

:as: :hee:

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
:hihi:

um, mike, mass has some of the suckiest gun laws in the country.

:whackin:

Sluggoslinger
12-19-2006, 01:26 PM

amen for that. I don't want to many people to get there hands on your H&K...:rotf2:

I love the north east but I'm moving west in the next couple years. SoCal here I come. I will be back allot for the summers fishing though...

justplugit
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Traffic yup.
Hastles yup.
Taxes yup.

But i'll stay as long as i can afford it.

Where else are ya gonna go , with salt and fresh water, woods and mountains, and city within an hour drive along with 4 seasons?

luds
12-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Wouldn't live anywhere else and I'm a 20 something trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to buy a house. I'll stay here even if it means living in apartments or condos for the rest of my life.

TC23
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I was in FL last winter , traffic was unreal and the average age is like 78! Nope, I'm 2 miles from the ocean, 1 1/2 miles from my boat and I have a 15 minute commute to work. You can have CA, I think the whole state is infested with fruits and nuts; my SOL fishing friends excluded. Where do people in the landlocked states go to fish or to get decent fish to eat?:musc: :hee: :hee:

chris L
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
bush cranker
its not about the cost its the quality . toothless hags with diseased innereds . I dont mind paying if I can get something good for my fifty and the northeast isnt anything like europia

nightprowler
12-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't live anywhere else and I'm a 20 something trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to buy a house. I'll stay here even if it means leaving in apartments or condos for the rest of my life.

me too.....if only i could quit spending money on fishing, i might be able to save some for that house.....

Fishpart
12-19-2006, 02:05 PM

At least it is a FA State :D

Krispy
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Ben, ever think about Bermuda? They're dieing for finance proffesionals over there, I'd think your skill set would be perfect. Beautiful country, excellent inshore/offshore fishing, upscale and a short flight to the US. And collectively, the nicest country of people I've ever met.
Bermuda would be my 2nd choice of places to move to

RIJIMMY
12-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Ben, ever think about Bermuda? They're dieing for finance proffesionals over there, I'd think your skill set would be perfect. Beautiful country, excellent inshore/offshore fishing, upscale and a short flight to the US. And collectively, the nicest country of people I've ever met.

good friend of mine went out there for a hedge fund, they pay well out there, cost of living is high, but worth IMHO

Mike P
12-19-2006, 02:14 PM

In some ways, yes, in other ways, no. In some towns, getting a LTC isn't a big deal. Depends on the local chief. And the FID is a "shall-issue" permit.

Try to get a full carry handgun license in NY.

spinncognito
12-19-2006, 02:18 PM
- skyrocketing housing prices
- stupid property taxes to boot
- overpriced contractors who don't return your calls
- over priced __________.
- ridiculous traffic jams and long commutes
- snooty people
- urban leftard pussification infecting all aspects of sociopolitics/law
- highly cyclical and unstable employment (i.e., wall street, IT, etc)
- $35 plugs
- $800 and $1,200 spinning reels
- a$$-numbing cold winters

IMHO- "quality of life" is not measured at all by all of the things you mention, which you have no control over. Quality of life comes from the things you DO control, like the things you like to do (fishing), the source of income you choose and most importantly, who you choose to spend your time/life with.

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 02:52 PM

Krispy, I'd agree on the beauty and the fishing aspects ...but...

1) It's a British territory ... can't take my toys with me there.

2) There are too many damn hedge funds right now chasing a shrinking pool of global alphas. I'm waiting for a shakeout to happen (not a good time to be working for hedge funds). :rude: Besides, if I want to work for a local hedge fun, most of 'em are right here on the gold coast.

Nope, I'm thinking SE coastal U.S.

Krispy
12-19-2006, 03:11 PM
http://www2.goldmansachs.com/images/binders541.jpg

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Goldman does have a risk unit down in the Ft. Lauderdale area. :think:

Slipknot
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh, so this is about that Australia thread:cheers:
Moving Ben?
you need to relax, ya can't change this country overnight and by yourself. Venting is good
Where you live has some to do with how you feel

SE coastal? like NC or SC? I was thinking that also, but that's in my 20 year plan........

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Moving Ben?

Daydreaming about it, Bruce. A change of pace would be welcome, I think.

Slipknot
12-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Go to Montana and raise some dental floss

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 03:22 PM
i love montana, but need to be near a RKBA-friendly coastal state. that rules out the left coast.

Raven
12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
from all of my travels ...around the USA twice
and across 5 times ..... 5 different ways...different roads

i found Glacier national park in Montanna to be the
most beautiful place in the whole USA...

of course i havent been to Alaska or Hawaii though-> yet.;)

The Dad Fisherman
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I remember when I drove through Wyoming thinking the same thing.....absolutely Beautiful

ProfessorM
12-19-2006, 04:40 PM
There's no place like home

PoPin Plug
12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
thank good we stilll got the bass:]

Finaddict
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Wouldn't live anywhere else and I'm a 20 something trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to buy a house. I'll stay here even if it means leaving in apartments or condos for the rest of my life.

Maybe if you sell all your fishing equipment ... plugs and what not, you probably could afford a waterfront home ... would that work for you? :jump:

Finaddict
12-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I've lived in Florida twice - Miami for five years/Palm Beach for two - fishing the keys and everglades was awesome ... and the fishing during the summer time was even better than any other time of the year, as you could find bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook, redfish in the flats and backcountry ... good dolphin fishing in the summer time along with a variety of other species ... you get used to the heat ... the turn from mid fall into early winter was always a little tough, but you could also adjust your fishing ... but still missed the striper ...

But you have the same or similar problems down there -- prices are high in the greater Miami area, maybe not as high as up here, but still high ... electricity is high as you need it to run air conditioning during the heat of the summer ...still lots of wackos and losers ... but would I live there again ... probably, although the hurricanes really suck, I lived on Key Biscayne and had to evacuate every time a hurricane came through ... and it screwed up the fishing ...

... hate the cold, but love the summers and fall up here ... will stay in New England as it is beautiful and every where is crowded ... we will have more than 300 million people living in this country ... too many, ... if you look at the benefits of the New England region ... it actually is a great place to be ...

fishpoopoo
12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
isn't it funny ... that nowadays ... you need a house to buy a house.

thank you alan greenspan.

jklett
12-19-2006, 10:09 PM
The only good thing about the house prices is if you own one allready. I pity the 20 and 30 yr. olds trying to get the down payment together in this economy.
:wave:

fishaholic18
12-19-2006, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't mind having a house in FL to get away from the winter, though. Someday....

I hope, I hope someday....:soon:

Skitterpop
12-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Follow the light :jester:

Skip N
12-20-2006, 12:23 AM

Regardless though of everything else you mentioned Bassturbed I still love this area.

I can relate, damn near impossible for 20-30 year old's to buy anything decent around here. Let alone a single guy like myself with one income. Just aint happening anytime soon!

I love this area, but it's so freakin $$$ to live around here.

Mr.Mom
12-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't want to start out around here....fixer uppers (windows/doors/kitchen/bath/floors/electric/etc) are going for over 300....

Then the taxes.....mine are 7,300 and we have a very modest spread....

Between my wife and I we have what would be considered a nice income most places....here a large part of it gets absorbed just on living expenses....

Otherwise I do like most of it....great freshwater fishing, close enough to the salt for a day trip, woods to hike or 4wl in....some of the people I could live with-out....but the Southern folk still do have a chip on their shoulder, I've seen it myself and wonder if the kids catch crap in school because of it.....

I buy the 'Grass is always greener' statement for the most part....if/when we move we're going with my wifes company...this way the income stays and the expenses go down.....

I hear the TX bass fishing is pretty good.....

Goose
12-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I know whatcha mean about the fishin, sometimes I feel I'm getting gipped outa of fish in the NE,,,them fishing fools down in florida must laugh at the fishing up here...doesn't even compare,,in exchange you'ld have to live in a sweat box..screw that. IMO, the NE is perfect love the seasons, take advantage of the good hunting up here(not down south,east coast). No matter where ya go there's ass O's its how you want to look at,, realy right. When I can afford it I will spend my winters down there and take advantage of the great fishing down south...God willing with good health

Joe
12-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Sell everything you own and buy a trailer on the backside of Palmico Sound in NC. So long as you own your home here in the NE outright you can buy the trailer for 5K-8K and invest the rest and not need much of a job.
You can be on the Outer Banks in less than a half hour.

Saltheart
12-20-2006, 09:35 AM
New England is God's country! I love it!

Joe
12-20-2006, 10:19 AM
"The superiority of New England civilization is quite evident."
Theodore Parker

Raven
12-20-2006, 08:17 PM
two good one's JOE :btu:

Nebe
12-20-2006, 08:57 PM
south county is paradise. (form june till oct :hihi: )

fishpoopoo
12-21-2006, 08:47 AM

true. throw in orleans/chatham and the vineyard, and then allah can keep his 76 virgins. :hihi:

ThrowingTimber
12-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Its the price that is paid by all of us who live in the "BoWash"

MakoMike
12-21-2006, 12:46 PM

Only if you can ignore the friggin touristas.

Nebe
12-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Only if you can ignore the friggin touristas.

sadly they are what pay my bills in the summer :angel: