View Full Version : Any RI wetsuiters?

tlapinski
06-20-2002, 09:55 AM
so, do any of you guys wetsuit-fish in RI? i'm thinking of giving it a try. there have been too many nights when i've taken that last step, and the waders proceeded to fill. :smash: from what i have gathered, i need a wetsuit, korkers, and some sort of booty or wading shoe. what about other things? any tips or advice before i venture out?

tlapinski
06-21-2002, 02:55 PM
anybody??????

Mr. Sandman
06-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Depending on where you fish and the condtions you might need a buddy. (or some big gonads)

Scotch Bonnet
06-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Wear a life jacket and you should have no worries......

DZ
06-24-2002, 08:12 AM
Get a pair of wading boots that you wear for stocking foot waders. Korkers will fit well on them. Wear two waterproof lights if you fish at night. Don't take unnecessary chances. That last rock might look good but it might also be the last solid ground you ever touch alive. Use common sense!! Be wary of areas with currents. Don't turn your back if the surf is up. Don't panic.
Enjoy the solitude away from the crowd.
DZ

Goose
12-09-2003, 05:32 PM
After doin a little searchin seems like there aren't alot of wetsuiters surfin, the net that is. I've been trying to gather info on the skishing scene in my area. Over the years I've seen a fisher or two out there but very few.
Doesn't wetsuits make you buoyant? How bout life preservers (suspenders type)....can they be used with wetuits? Thinkin of goin with a suit that boat US carries, long sleeves, full body, 5mm...good or not? Does anyone have any experience with wetsuits?

tlapinski
12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
i am looking for a 7mm for next season.

Krispy
12-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Where do I sign up? :)
I might give it a shot to. I may borrow my brothers suit and see how I like it

rwilhelm
12-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by t.lapinski
i am looking for a 7mm for next season.

I think that would be tough to move around in. I have a 3mm for surfing I think that is thick enough. I have surfed in early November with it and have not been cold.

Nebe
12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
after one near death experience this year, I'm staying on terra firma. :D
get a kayak, its safer and you can cover more ground.

RIROCKHOUND
12-09-2003, 05:57 PM
I use it in a few conditions in gansett, but know the tide well, I have done it at NR but like DZ said use common sense... Works real well in a few spots if you know where the rocks are and it is just a bit too deep to wade... but wetsuits arent too warm when the wind is blowing and you are out of the water.....
But it does work...

MakoMike
12-09-2003, 06:15 PM
For thickness I use a 5mm up until late april and then move to a 3mm until June, then I go to a spring suit, but that's for surfing not fishing. I'd think that the two would be about the same though. I would'nt go near a 7mm suit unless the temps were about zero out, you'd sweat your ass of just walking across the parking lot! :)

Moron_Saxatilis
12-10-2003, 01:20 AM
srgsdrg

likwid
12-10-2003, 08:45 AM
dolphin.

Mr. Sandman
12-10-2003, 09:43 AM
This " skishing" sounds like a bad idea. Sure it is effective but it really is unsafe. IMO you are on your own when you do somthing like that. The problem I have is saftey. The CG could get call to rescue you from some bystander who see's some fool way out there drifting out to sea. If the CG actaully attempts a rescue this is costly and a diversion of a resourse. (who pays for this?) Do they come out the next time to rescue you? What if there is a non-skisher out there who needs help..do they go out and get him/her? How does one tell the difference between someone who wants to be out there as opposed to someone who is in genuine need of help?

Moreover, there is the shark attack and boating hazards to be concerned with.

This method is not considered surf casting, and is not allowed in fishing contests of anykind as far as I know. IMO skishing is just another way to spell dumb. It may be kewl and a productive fishing technique but it is stupid. At a minimum they should have a diving flag...

I think after more get into it and a few of the die the message will become clear.

Krispy
12-10-2003, 10:03 AM
I think what Toby and a few others are interested in is reaching some rocks or points a little farther out than whats possible wearing waders and retain the safety of a wetsuit. I think the inherent danger of having your waders fill up with water is as deadly as any other fishing accident.
I doubt that their looking to fl;oat around with the currents catching fish like some maritime johnny appleseed :rolleyes:
IMO, its more dangerous to wade out to a far rock in waders than a wetsuit.

Mr. Sandman
12-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Krispy

I doubt that their looking to fl;oat around with the currents catching fish like some maritime johnny appleseed :rolleyes:

This pretty much describes what skishing is...more or less.

Krispy
12-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Right, but I dont think thats what he's looking to do. MAybe though :huh:

scarecrow
12-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Skishing I would mind giving it a try
Im gonna be a coast guard diver soon anyways.

scarecrow
12-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Go to Surfcating.com
Thats is Melynks site.
Hes got a video clip on there
Toby....When the video starts a guy on it goes through everything you should have to saty safe out there.

Hope this helps.:D

Krispy
12-10-2003, 10:58 AM
and he caught with his eyes closed :laughs:

bloocrab
12-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Skishers = people who walk past the fishes??...:happy:

bloocrab
12-10-2003, 11:27 AM
This dude landed this nice bass with his eyes open and his a$$ dry....:D

....if he had been 50 yards further, would he have caught something bigger??....:hs: ....he probably would have walked right past this fish.

Like mentioned above, it WILL be dangerous. Especially for those who can ONLY fish after work...which normally means at night. Not a situation a "smarter" fellow puts himself into,,,especially when he doesn't need to,,,,we all know the biggen's move in closer at night. IMO, wetsuit fishing should be done right around or after the sun pukes :yak:

#1 Rule - Safety! ... to be able to do it again.

fishweewee
12-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by bloocrab
This dude landed this nice bass with his eyes open and his a$$ dry....:D

....if he had been 50 yards further, would he have caught something bigger??....:hs: ....he probably would have walked right past this fish.

Like mentioned above, it WILL be dangerous. Especially for those who can ONLY fish after work...which normally means at night. Not a situation a "smarter" fellow puts himself into,,,especially when he doesn't need to,,,,we all know the biggen's move in closer at night. IMO, wetsuit fishing should be done right around or after the sun pukes :yak:

#1 Rule - Safety! ... to be able to do it again.

Yeah, but bloo, he still wants to get a wetsuit! Maybe he likes to swim! :hihi:

scarecrow
12-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Nice fish.:D

Krispy
12-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Would a Farmer John style wetsuit be best with a wetsuit jacket or just a normal full suit?
FWW, dont you skish?

bloocrab
12-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Krispy
FWW, dont you skish?

...NO...he skinny dips :D...that's why he needed the "Bobbit" operation to sew it back on.

:laughs: :laughs:

fishweewee
12-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Krispy, not technically. I'll sometimes swim out to rocks on impulse but I don't wear a wetsuit or fancy fins with spikes in 'em.

Someone here would call it my "seal imitation." :hihi:

fishweewee
12-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bloocrab
...NO...he skinny dips :D...that's why he needed the "Bobbit" operation to sew it back on.

:laughs: :laughs:

*ouch* remind me never to do that in the middle of a bloofish blitz. :hihi: cigar butts...

Mr. Sandman
12-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Isn't that the dude that killed a wolf with his bare hands last season while bassfishing? That skishing ain't lookin to bad:laughs:

tlapinski
12-10-2003, 02:46 PM
krispy, you want to get a 3mm or so farmer john, with a 3mm+ shorty to go over it. wear the farmer john alone in warmer times, and add the shorty when it is colder. if you end up getting a suit for next year, let me know. :D

i am not looking to do all out skishing, yet. as krispy guessed, i want to get a little further out to a few rocks. the point about the waders filling up being more dangerous than wearing a wetsuit is true. if the waders fill up and you can't get them off, you drown. with the wetsuit, you do not have this issue. like all other aspects of surf fishing, you must still use your head and stay well within your limits.

Krispy
12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
can you picture hopping in the breachway and trolling your plug out the rip past the guys on the jetty :D

redlite
12-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Krisp,
That was the first thing that I pictured him doing when he asked about this, and then when you chimed in, I pictured you right behind him. I'm up for it.:D

rizzo
12-10-2003, 04:08 PM
I'd be afraid of the guys that will be casting at the rock youre standing on when skiishing. At night they wouldnt see you at all and youd end up with a plug in the back of your head. Some places in rhode island would be perfect for it but theres just too many guys out there fishing half the time. The wet suit might be a big help when fishing the herring run in the spring in the CT river.

tlapinski
12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
go ahead and cast at me ........ :behead:

Big Vern
12-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Could you imagine hooking into a skisher? You'd think you had a 90 on.

Mr. Sandman
12-10-2003, 04:17 PM
anti skishing ring...keeps those pesky skisherman from wrapping around my prop.

Krispy
12-10-2003, 04:24 PM
now thats funny :D

RIROCKHOUND
12-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Forgot to add.. when the surf is monster and I'm on the breaches I often wear my 3mm suit with my inflatable PFD... with Korkers of course, so if I do go in.... dont die... so if you see a fat seal on the rocks during a sou'easter, it may be me:D

Goose
12-10-2003, 06:58 PM
See it all the time, the guys in boat wanna fish in tight ..cast on shore if they can. Surf heads are trying to cover as much water as they can, cast a mile if they could. I think if your able to be that versital and be safe about it, why not! HellOoo boulder feilds!
I hear ya, it would be foolish going out there unprepared, kinda the same thing as goin out there boating with no pfd, no radio and chity weather...you see that all the time.
Don, I seen a guy following bubbles along a jetty , he was working a snag letting it go deeper and deeper ......you shoulda seen the look on their faces when a scuba diver came up.

Spiderman
12-11-2003, 08:24 AM
I fish in a wetsuit very often. Not that skishing stuff, although i'll probably try it. the south side of montauk is strewn with boulders. The wetsuit makes it safer and more comfortable. One key thing is the thicker the wetsuit, the more flotation you will have. I have a 3mm and a 7mm. I use the 7mm alot even in the summer for protection from the rocks and barnacles. when its warm I only wear the farmer john with a rash guard for a top.
Have a lanyard attached to your belt accesories. Make sure your bag has plenty of velcro to keep it closed. I've added a strap and buckle to assure it wont open if you get blown off a rock by a wave.
I enjoy fishing like this. there is something about being in the water.

tlapinski
01-31-2004, 07:46 PM
just daydreaming about the upcoming season....... :spin:

theSURF121
01-31-2004, 08:34 PM
I wear a 7mm farmer john style most of the time when I wetsuit. In the warmer temps, just wear a t-shirt. Again, this is for night tides. I don't Skish, I just like reaching the outer rocks. Of course safety should always be an issue and wearing a wet suit eliminates the hazards of your waders filling up.

PS: Stripermatic, stay off my rock!:)

tlapinski
01-31-2004, 08:56 PM
i am looking into getting a 4.5mm farmer john. i may still opt for a 7mm, though. i have read mixed opinions on this. i have heard that 4 -5 mm is fine for all around, but 7mm is usually needed for the fall. i figure with the 4.5, i could just throw the aquaskin over the top for the the added warmth and windproofing. we'll see though.

Joe
01-31-2004, 09:00 PM
I don't have the b---- to skish. A lot can wrong out there without being in over your head.
In Rhody - it's the "extreme" walkers who get the best fish.

Goose
01-31-2004, 09:34 PM
This is the dilemma I have to. 5 or 7 I like them both, leaning more towards the 7 for spring and fall nights. I can't friggin wait!

www.nrsweb.com ....is a good site with that has good surf/wetsuit items

tlapinski
01-31-2004, 09:34 PM
joe, it's not all skishing. there are some rocks that you just can't reach with conventional methods. the added safety of the suit's buoyancy is also something i am considering. walking? there are no good spots you have to walk to in RI!!!! :D

Goose, Harvey makes an extra insulator for underneath the suit. another 3mm of insulation. might make a 5mm a more practical choice.
http://www.harveys-divesuits.com/accessories/vests.asp

Strider
01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
joe, it's not all skishing. there are some rocks that you just can't reach with conventional methods

All this just to get to Block:tm:

Goose
01-31-2004, 09:55 PM
It seems alot guy's wear the farmer john's. Aren't those sleeveless, why aren't wetsuit's with full arm length more popular in the surf? Is it restriction. I think an aquaskin would be ideal with a farmer john but I was trying not to go that route. then again:) I could use another good top. I felt very comfortable with the grudens top but that alone over a farmer johns? I don't think will cut it. what do you think TL

tlapinski
01-31-2004, 10:08 PM
a farmer john combo is the "overalls" with a long sleeve shorty over it. my understanding is the 7mm part would be only where the shorty part is. so, it would be two 3.5mm pieces combined.

theSURF121
01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
THe wetsuit I have is a farmer john 6.5mm(not 7) wit a 6.5 step in shorty/ top with long sleeves. I never use the top because the Aquaskin top is so much better.

Rock Hopper
01-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Okay guys,

I have been following this thread with interest and finally decided to put in my $0.02 cents...

First, wetsuiting is by far more comfortable, safer and more productive than conventional waders. When you are in a wet suit you are less worried about going down, getting washed off etc... You can get to better rocks, rips safer than in a pair of waders and that little extra usually pays off!

As for which suits are better, I have a one pice 3mm, 3,2,3 mm and a 7mm. I almost never use the 7mm. I use the other two in the summer months only. In the fall I use a two piece 6.5mm farmer john with only the bottom half, a insulated jumpsuit and my neoprene AquaSkinz tops and dry hood.

Iam however seriously considering a 5mm for late Spring and Fall as I don't particularly like the 6.5mm farmer john as its not much different than my 7mm.

I have friends who use the 5mm with their AquaSkinz and love the combo. These guys are avid wet suiters.

As for Skishing, I have tried and it really is a blast...I wouldn't recommend anyone do it alone or try it for the first time without someone with experience accompanying them. It can be exhilarating and frightening at the same time. This method however yeilds big fish! I have seen it with my own eyes...when we on the surf could not get a sniff...the skishers were catching one after another and deciding what to keep and what to release. This has happened more than once...trust me...it can be frustrating!!

They also do it at night with great results...I have never done it at night even though my good friend Paul Melnyk has asked me many times to try it....I am courages but not stupid!! There is a dedicated group that does this in Montauk and usually out produce everyone else on the surf. They do however take the necessary precautions. Ropes, fins with stailess steel screws bolted onto them, flashing strobe head lights etc... But to risky for me.

Toby, try the wetsuit thing, you will love it!! Just start slow and work your way up...stay within reasonable limits and always have a plan of getting before going in. I say this because even a wetsuit isn't a cure all. About 4 or 5 years ago, a avid wetsuiter was fishing a popular rock in Montauk at night and says "he got pulled in by a big blue fish..." no one really knows except him. He got swept out 5 miles to sea...the only reason he was alive to tell his story is because a fishing vessles Capt. "thought he saw a human face...and his concious wouldn't let him go in without looking.. " the turned his boat around, put all his lights on and searched for this guy and found him; badly dehydrated and hypothermac.

I am sure you got the point. You are only as good as your plan.

Hope that helps....

Kadir

tlapinski
02-01-2004, 10:31 AM
ok, another question. what about footwear? neoprene wading socks with wading boots? hard soled dive booties? korkers are obvious. i think it was Cowhunter that said he used orvis wading boots, but i haven't seen him around here lately. i also seem to remember someone saying something about a "holster" type thing that fits on your wading belt to put the rod in while dealing with a fish. any suggestions there or is it not really needed?

Spiderman
02-01-2004, 09:37 PM
I use neoprene socks and wading boots. I tried the orvis boots with the ceramic studs but after sliding of the front of a rock a few times the first night using them, I sent them back. I used the Hodgman gladiators this season and liked them. Korkers work great but the studs fall out to easy and replacement studs fall out even quicker. I have a large diameter rubber O ring wire tied to my belt to put my rod in to free up both hands, but rarely use it.

cheferson
02-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Anyone near narragansett got an extra wetsuit that is interested in showing an up and coming surfcaster a little shishing or wetsuit surfcasting?:confused:

Nebe
02-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by t.lapinski
ok, another question. what about footwear? neoprene wading socks with wading boots? hard soled dive booties? korkers are obvious. i think it was Cowhunter that said he used orvis wading boots, but i haven't seen him around here lately. i also seem to remember someone saying something about a "holster" type thing that fits on your wading belt to put the rod in while dealing with a fish. any suggestions there or is it not really needed?

Toby I'm not a wetsuiter, but I do wade out to a place that has me in water up to my armpits and I really should be wetsuiting.... Its sandy so I don'twear spikes, but when its rough I keep a caribeener(sp?) clip on a 2 ft phone chord attached to my belt. When I'm out deep and land a fish, I clip the carabeener onto the reel. to free up both hands, I just tuck the but inside my belt, but its a nice feeling that if it did slip out, I'd be hard pressed to loose it. LL bean makes a nice lightweight studded wading boot that i picked up this christmas... nice spikes and a lifetime warrranty. can't beat that.

DaveS
02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Joe
I don't have the b---- to skish. A lot can wrong out there without being in over your head.
In Rhody - it's the "extreme" walkers who get the best fish.

:walk: :btu:

tlapinski
02-02-2004, 08:15 PM
goose, just looking around that site. these look nice......

Used by river professionals, adventure racers, rescue agencies, and military units, these are the hardest-working boots on the water. Heavy-duty lugged traction sole keeps you on your feet in varied terrain, and the comfortable 7mm neoprene insole absorbs the shock of every step. Lace-up synthetic leather and 5mm neoprene upper provide warmth, unmatched ankle support, and a secure fit. $69.95

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/assets/prod_img/2338F.JPG

Don M
02-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Toby,
PM Cowhunter from NJ. His name is Ken and he wetsuits the rocks from Quonny to Fresh Pond Rocks and BI as well. Have not seen him post for a while. Might have his e-mail some where at the shop.

He uses the all in one studded LL Bean wading shoe with the gummed rubber sides.

Hope this helps.

theSURF121
02-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I have boots similar to the ones listed above except mine are 3mm.Not bad but lacks some ankle support if you're doing a death march on a rocky beach. Matching them up with Korkers are an obvious must. I also have a pair of the Korker Konvertibles but have yet used them. They are nice but pricey and they do have less studs for gripping. Some guys use modified flippers with studs placed on the bottom or modified footwear with a short flipper on the front.

Rock Hopper
02-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Toby,

I have those boots and they look great but are a real pain in the A$$ to get in and out of...especially wet! What I have started to use is a home made wading/korker boot. I took a pair of old hiking boots, took the insole out, drilled holes and inserted 11/4 inch SS bolts with a washer and a lock nut. Not only are they comfortable but the screws stay in place and it takes a long time to wear them down.

I also use a wading boot with neoprene socks & korkers but find this to be less comfortable but easier than doing all the work described up top.

As for securing a rod while on a rock. Aquaskinz is introducing a Stailess Steel "D" ring belt attachment that you can slide your rod into (upto the reel seat) and like Eben said I use a similar clip and lanyard which I connect to my first guide and the rod & reel are basically perfectly secure.

Kadir aka: Rock Hopper
AquaSkinz

NIB
02-03-2004, 12:05 AM
screws are alright but go with the korkers on large rocks.I bought a pair of boots with the screws an was slidin pretty good on some of the larger granite rocks.u want somehting light that wicks water.The boots I use are stocking foot wader type.I am certainly no pro at this an my better athletic days are behind me but it is certainly a better way to fish that fillin up ur waders there are many different configurations of wetsuits u can purchase like 5 -4 means a 5 mill body to keep ur core temp up with 4 mill legs an arms for more freedom of movement. the neopreme they are usin in suits today seems much more supple. my advice is to try on as many as U can stick with the full suit.go wth a light 4 mill for warmer days an something haeveir for cooler months.like someone said ur alright while ur in the water its when U get up on a rock an that wind blows U'll wish u had the 7 mil good luck be safe.one other bit of advice is when ur in the water U have to keep it as simple as possible.

Goose
02-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Boots have got to be one the most important peice of gear. Slippery rocks, at night in the surf. Put some studed felt soles on them and I'ld buy'em TL. I'ld think a good studed boot would be better then a neoprene without them.

Just to have another thing to think about, you could proably start another thread this,....are you guys getting in shape for the coming season? Being physically fit can gives you the edge. Its tough at first but you'll be thankful you did.

CowHunter
02-04-2004, 05:32 AM
I wetsuit Block and Rhody alot starting in June and start of in a 3mm one piece Henderson Gold core which I will use through October, if it is a bit cold out I will use a 3mm Henderson Gold Core hooded vest with the 3mm. The Gold Cores are the best westsuits for my uses, they keep you warm and slide right off easily. When it gets Really cold late fall I go up to a 5mm Henderson Gold Core one piece with the 3mm Hooded Vest. Along with the wetsuits I use Orvis Henry Fork Studded wading shoes, no need for Korkers as these work awesome, and if you need to slip on fins you can do so. If I will be swimming to some far rocks and fish areas with current I will keep fins handy. I can easily keep them on my belt when not in use. Also don't forget Gravel Guards. I've got hundreds of hours wet suiting and this is what works best for me....

I also have a Nylon police Tactical Belt and attached I have a good knife, 60lb Boga, good pliers, and a metal ring to use as a rod holder, (Actually it is a Police Baton Holder).

That about covers it!

tlapinski
02-04-2004, 09:42 PM
well, i bought a suit today. i went with a 7mm farmer john. i was thinking about the thickness issue. when i used to do a lot of snorkeling, i had a 3mm one piece. even in the summer i would get cool after a while of floating around. i figure with the FJ, it gives me more options. i would always be a bit warm than a bit cool. now i REALLY can't wait for summer!

CowHunter
02-05-2004, 02:43 AM
T.L. I hope that you won't be disapointed in the 7mm, especially a farmer john. That is a very heavy wetsuit. If you cover alot of water you will die in that thing, it is very restrictive and creates alot of "Negative" energy when walking and covering area. Let alone wait till you see the rashes you get! Watch what you're arms feel like after standing on a rock and casting for a bit. You'll experience that "numbing"of the arms. You will be dehydrated and exhausted Fast in the Summertime! As far as being chilly in a 3mm in the summer that can happen with a regular neoprene wetsuit, you can't even compare it to a Henderson Gold Core. Their 3mm is probably equivelent to a regular 5mm as far as warmth goes and it is much thinner. Wearing the one piece 3mm Gold Core you will get nearly no water entering between you're body and the wetsuit. You stay Warm. Remember you can always layer if necessary, most of the warmth is lost at you're head and second the chest. That is why I use the 3mm Hooded Vest with the 3mm if I really need it. Sometimes its worth spending extra money for quality and comfort.

Goose
02-10-2004, 06:55 PM
In the 2004 winter sale catalog of NRS..... for $76.95 you can get a good 3m wetsuit.

Farmer John, 3 mm DuPont neoprene forms the base and is protectively backed with comfortable nylon on both sides. Extra-long double-pull YKK front zipper for easy entry and relief. Seat and knees have reinforced padding for extra durability and protection. Glued and blind-stitched seams are attractive, durable and comfortable. Zippered ankles.

DaveS
02-10-2004, 08:29 PM
TL, this is the suit ya want bro: http://www.divebooty.com/equipment_details.asp?pid=4710 I got the Gold Core 3MM myself, mighty comfy if I do say so myself. Now for some boots and I'll be good to go :kewl:.
Hey Ken, I'll race ya from Naps to Fischers:laughs: .

Rock Hopper
02-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Toby,

I must say, I have to agree with Cowhunter. Before you use it, you might want to re-think the 7mm farmer john. I have this suit and it's a killer!! I barely use it anymore.

If not, good luck!

Kadir

fishweewee
02-10-2004, 10:39 PM
A Kadir, you gonna be at Freeport this Sunday?

-B

Rock Hopper
02-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes sir, I should be there! Time?? Don't know yet.

Kadir

fishweewee
02-10-2004, 10:46 PM
:D

Goose
02-10-2004, 11:58 PM
I think I'll end up going with the 'henderson GC' too.
What I forgot to mention is that price is 30% off the regular price, whatya got to lose.

CowHunter
02-11-2004, 08:49 PM
You guys will really like the gold core, worth every penny....I know I got mine through leisurePro.com at a great price a few seasons ago, they are always running specials. Might be worth to check them out. Also the Henry Fork wading shoes are awesome, just make sure you get the better studs because they have two different types Ceramic and Tungsten. Forgot which one was better but there is a big difference in the two. One of them I wore out in a week fishing while the other will last you a season or two, I do walk ALOT though. With the shoes I also wear sealskinz neoprene socks along with Orvis neoprine bootie with Gravel Guard. Good to hear from you Kadir and Dave!

ThrowingTimber
02-11-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm gettin all sorts of ideas flying through my head:D

Nebe
02-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ThrowingTimber
I'm gettin all sorts of ideas flying through my head:D
Center wall see you in the morning? or I like my gravy with clumps :D:

ThrowingTimber
02-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm liking this and following it very closely. Taking lots of notes, joo read my mind dude. Not entirely tho.. I show joo.. how to cross the rio grande and watch out for them federales

What would be your suggestions on keeping it simple guys and swimming with your gear?

CowHunter
02-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I've swam some distances with gear to get to certain areas with no problems. I used all the gear mentioned in my previous posts and then some, just put the rod in the holder and kick with the fins. The force fins are awesome for getting to where you are going. The 5mm's are better for the swimming because they will give you alot more bouyency...

tlapinski
02-13-2004, 08:28 AM
:smash: :smash: :smash:

i got the wetsuit in the mail. well, let's just say that my new desk job hasn't done anything positive for my figure. i guess i am not the fit and trim guy i was at the end of the season. gonna have to sell the suit and get one a little bigger. :blush:

i was checking out the henderson website. what is the difference between the 5mm and the 7/5mm? that was the one thing i couldn't find on the site.

theSURF121
02-13-2004, 08:42 AM
It might mean the suit is mostly 7mm and areas that require movement, such as elbow and behind the knee are 5mm.