View Full Version : If you want to fish Cuttyhunk.... you better start exercising those legs.

likwid
12-20-2006, 05:23 PM
The high dirt road around the back to pigs is closed.

Naushon Island Trust private property.
They will not be allowing anyone on that road without permission.

tattoobob
12-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Who Is going to stop People from going down it?

likwid
12-20-2006, 05:38 PM
People push, they will squeeze.

BigFish
12-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Whatever! They gonna have a guard there 24/7? Or put up a fence? I think.....not!

tattoobob
12-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Last fall they had a chain pulled across two poles and the chain was laying on the ground. I don't think it is the fishermen they want to keep out, I think it is the rich kids driving golf carts all over the Island all hours of the night drinking.

BigFish
12-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Worst case you have to fish the beach all the way down and all the way back! Boo hoo!:rollem:

wheresmy50
12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Or the locals with the quads?

It doesn't make sense that they would want to keep hardcore surfcasters off the path. I don't see the reason for that.

likwid
12-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Last fall they had a chain pulled across two poles and the chain was laying on the ground. I don't think it is the fishermen they want to keep out, I think it is the rich kids driving golf carts all over the Island all hours of the night drinking.

The few ruin it for everyone.

Its all private property of the Naushon Island Trust anyhow. They can put up a stockade fence with razorwire on top and trained pitbulls inside if they want.

afterhours
12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
they were surveying that end last year just for that reason.

Raven
12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
are not that expensive at Sears
i was lookin at them this afternoon...
i need a new pair :uhuh:
...mine are kinda worn out now...
from cutting locks
SO.....combined with a battery powered sawz- all
and my forty foot heavy chain, plus a four wheel drive
they will cancel out any gate in no time....:cheers:
------------------------------------------------------------------
if silence is required instead........i'd just pour corrosive chemicals
on the fence combined with rope & potatoe sacks
filled with big rocks...or heavy garbage bags filled with sand

and totally melt it ....and make it all sag...over night
it's all play time.....:realmad:

and thats only if my key collection didnt work :bshake:
i hate all that private- world CRAP:rocketem:

likwid
12-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Ahhh internet tough guys. :yak4:

tattoobob
12-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I am thinking Bonnie from the fishing club has a key, and unlocks it when need be.

Slipknot
12-21-2006, 07:53 AM
so how do you get permission knowitall?
I don't see the harm walking those roads to get south.

WoodyCT
12-21-2006, 07:56 AM
... they would see anglers as partners in conservation. You think anyone paying to fish Cutty is going to throw trash around and damage the ecosystem? I don't. Seems like a job for RISSA or a similar organization to work out with the Trust. I don't think tough guy talk paints a good picture of us. We need to be partners and allies, not adversaries. JMHO.

fishpoopoo
12-21-2006, 07:58 AM
They can put up a stockade fence with razorwire on top and trained pitbulls inside if they want.

hush puppy

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/suppressors_main_700_02.jpg

problem solved.

Flaptail
12-21-2006, 08:37 AM

That's what happens when the interblab and articles get written on how good it is there. Thre is a lesson here if you read between the lines. Cutty is thei and Cutty is that and now Cutty is going to war aginst the plundering hordes. (Used to be a nice place, oh well....)

RIROCKHOUND
12-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Flap,
Never been there, was debating this fall, but I thought the same thing, especially with articles about it....

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I have always walked the beach anyway. Walked completely around the island several times that way.

Same thing happend to block Island in the late 70's and early 80's. I recall a magazine cover with title.."Bass Island" and the guy holding a 50. Soon a lot of out of state plates were there. CH will only recieve the hard core guys. Few want to walk on rocks day and night with no vehicle around.
I plan my trips when there is no contest or event going on. I try to do it the week after these events. This way I get good reports and no people around. I have never been a fan of "gang fishing" where 20 guys decend on the beach. I would rather go by myself or with friend. I think you loose the beautiful solitude the place has to offer when going with a crowd. Further, I think these large group outings bring over a lot of guys the would not go otherwise. TV shows and articles about CH don't bother me too much. It is not a place most fishermen would tackle alone for the first time. They want to go with a big group first. Block and the other islands are different, you have a vehicle and lots of choices with regard to fishing and non-fishing activities.

likwid
12-21-2006, 09:45 AM
so how do you get permission knowitall?

You don't.

Here's an excerpt from an article about Cuttyhunk.
If you don't get it from this, then I can't help you.

A few years ago, a woman from Cuttyhunk and an off-islander friend were watching a bulldozer at work filling in a marsh. The friend asked her if the landowners had gotten clearance from the local conservation commission. "What conservation commission?" she asked. "The one that administers the Wetlands Protection Act," he said. "What Wetlands Protection Act?" she asked. "The state Wetlands Protection Act," he said, to which she replied, with a slight smile, "What state?"

That's what happens when the interblab and articles get written on how good it is there. Thre is a lesson here if you read between the lines. Cutty is thei and Cutty is that and now Cutty is going to war aginst the plundering hordes. (Used to be a nice place, oh well....)

Which brings it back up on the subject how would you feel about people wandering in your yard day and night acting like you own the place? Wouldn't like it would you? One group screws up, everyone pays for it.

The Elizabeth Islands have stayed pristine because of their owners. They're kept far prettier and cleaner than any park service could ever do.

Slipknot
12-21-2006, 10:06 AM
what are you saying? that people are walking over peoples yards acting like they own the place? That doesn't sound like the fisherman that go over there to catch fish and might stay at one of the Inns over there. There are plenty of boaters that go there to explore the island and enjoy it also, do you live there? Have we as fishermen ruined things over there talking about it on the internet? I don't mind walking the shoreline, what's the big deal if private property is kept private? It won't bother me, the few times I've been and will go. So you say without permission you won't be allowed to walk the dirt road, and you can't get permission, what happens if you trespass anyway?
isn't the fishing better from sailboats anyway? ;)

likwid
12-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Its private property. They set the rules on the island however they want.
How hard is that to understand?
And considering how many people were on the island this past year compared to past years, I'm sure they're ready to make an example of someone.

isn't the fishing better from sailboats anyway? ;)

Certainly a lot cheaper than a stinkpot even with the gas price down. ;)

Krispy
12-21-2006, 11:35 AM
If its private property and they want to close it,,, o'well. They own it. wuttayagonnado?

Nebe
12-21-2006, 01:01 PM
http://www.munsonboats.com/

if i had the $$ i would love to get somethingn like this and do surfcasting charters to places you cant get to anyother way..

tattoobob
12-21-2006, 01:06 PM
This thread is like beating a dead house, It is a waste of time and we can't do any thing about it. It will keep the lazy/fat/old people out

Joe
12-21-2006, 01:09 PM
It's nice to be able to blame the people you know - but it's just the general mean spirit of the rich and their wish to keep the "exclude" in exclusive.
I hope they get visited by three ghosts...

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2006, 01:16 PM
I believe pretty much the entire western half of the island is private. You should not be on that road, ever. I think it belongs to the Spaldings (sports equip mogal). There is a modest house at the end, I thought that road was his.

Technically speaking, in MA, even walking along the beach is considered tresspassing. Property owners actually own (and pay taxes on) the land that goes out into the water aways. Don't ask me how it became that way. I am strongly oppossed to this but that is what I have been told by owners of waterfront land. It is not like BI where the public can walk along the entire shore anywhere without any problem.

There is a 1600 something (or really old) "law" in MA that says if you are fishing or fowling you can walk along the shore in the water below the low tide line TO GET BY but technically your feet have to be wet to do this. Some refer to this as the "wet feet" law. Also, I am not so sure this "law" of that age will hold up if really pressed. I don't have a copy anymore but think it says you may only pass-by to get to a spot, not actually fish or hunt there. I think many owners of waterfront land have been there for a long time and understand the desire for fishermen and locals to access to fish and hunt and generally allow it out of the goodness of their hearts. But I tell you if it were my property and I saw 20 guys coming over for a commando trip contributing nothing to anyone, I would press the issue...but that is me and I don't live on waterfront land. From experience, it is best to maintain a "low profile" anyplace you fish esp on or even NEAR private property and don't bother ANYONE. You might consider asking for permission instead of just doing it. If you just do it without asking, go in with no more then 2 fishermen, go in late and come out early and don't tresspass near any homes, don't PO anyone, act like a gentlemen, respect their property...after all it IS theirs, and don't act like a whacko if you ever want to go again.
But that is just my advice.

Krispy
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
I think many owners of waterfront land have been there for a long time and understand the desire for fishermen and locals to access to fish and hunt and generally allow it out of the goodness of their hearts. But I tell you if it were my property and I saw 20 guys coming over for a commando trip contributing nothing to anyone, I would press the issue...but that is me and I don't live on waterfront land. From experience, it is best to maintain a "low profile" anyplace you fish esp on or even NEAR private property and don't bother ANYONE. You might consider asking for permission instead of just doing it. If you just do it without asking, go in with no more then 2 fishermen, go in late and come out early and don't tresspass near any homes, don't PO anyone, act like a gentlemen, respect their property...after all it IS theirs, and don't act like a whacko if you ever want to go again.
I agree, you cant begrudge the wealthy for having whats theirs.
Keep your head down, your lights off and dont be seen.

jim sylvester
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
big frieken deal

If you don't want to trespass, walk the water

if you want to trespass, climb over the damn chain like andre the giant getting into the ring

big deal

end it

ps: merry christmas

tattoobob
12-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Public Rights/Private Property:
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Beach Access

Brought to you as a public service by:
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 727-2200
www.ago.state.ma.us

Summertime. The living is easy. Fish are jumpin'. And right now somewhere along the Massachusetts coast, two people are arguing over whether one of them may walk along the other's beach.

Few issues in Massachusetts can be counted on as such a regular source of conflict. One reason for this is that in the face of the overwhelming desire for people to use our beaches, our laws are not very "friendly" toward beach access. This is because, some 350 years ago, our forefathers gave away much of the public's rights to use the coastline in an attempt to spur the development of wharfs and maritime commerce. On top of that, our laws in this area are complex, confusing, and- to an extent that is surprising in light of centuries of court battles- uncertain.

The result is conflict. Those who own property along the coast clash with those who want to walk along it, often without either really knowing what their rights and obligations are. Indeed, sometimes police officers and other public officials called in to deal with this conflict are themselves unclear about the respective rights and responsibilities.

The purpose of this pamphlet is to try to help people understand the law in this area, to the extent that it has been settled. We have tried to provide simple answers to commonly-asked questions about the ownership of the coast. Our hope is that by informing the public of the law, we can move beyond needless conflicts and toward more consensual solutions to the beach access issue. In particular, we have highlighted ways that coastal owners who want to let the public gain access through or along their property can do so while avoiding liability and at the same time preserving their own property rights.

Of necessity, we can state what the public's rights are only in general terms. There are many complications that may arise in individual circumstances.
Questions & Answers

Q: "Someone told me that beaches are privately owned in Massachusetts all the way down to the low tide line. How can that be?"

A: Each state has its own laws regarding who owns the beach. In most coastal states, the public owns the land seaward of the high tide line, and in some states public ownership extends even higher. Massachusetts is different, however. The Massachusetts courts have consistently ruled that in the 1640s, we gave away title to the land between the mean high tide line and the low tide line to the adjacent upland owners. Therefore, this area- known as the "intertidal zone" or "wet sand area" is- generally privately owned in Massachusetts.

Q: "So you're saying that if I own the adjacent upland land, I therefore own the adjacent wet sand area?"

A: Probably, but not necessarily. It is possible that the interest in the wet sand area was separately conveyed ("severed") from the uplands parcel at some time in the past. A final answer to this question may require a complete title search, and even then you might not have a definitive answer. If this issue cannot be resolved by the available evidence, the upland owner is presumed to own the adjacent wet sand area. The boundary issues can be resolved in Land Court.

Q: "You said that I can own down to the 'low tide line,' but the low tide line changes every day. What low tide line are you talking about?"

A: Because the precise tide lines change daily, the average or mean low tide line is used. There is an ongoing dispute, however, as to whether you should use the so-called "mean low tide" line or the "mean extreme low tide line." The former is the average of all low tides, while the latter is the average of extreme low tides "resulting from usual causes and conditions."

Q: "How do you deal with the fact that over time the coastline builds up in certain areas and washes away in others?"

A: The short answer to this question is that the property lines move with the low tide line. Therefore, as land is extended by the natural buildup of sand (known as "accretion"), the private property owners generally enjoy a windfall. But when the opposite happens ("reliction"), the private property owners generally lose ownership of that portion of the land taken by the sea. The fact that property lines change with the whims of the oceans is one of the things that makes private ownership of this area different from private ownership of inland property.

Q: "If I own the wet sand area, why are members of the public claiming they can use it?"

A: Private ownership of the wet sand area is subject to certain public rights that were reserved when the land became private in the first place. Because the public-at-large retains a property interest in the wet sand area, the private owners' property interest in this area is similar to that of people who own private property in other areas subject to public easements (for example, people who abut town roads typically own to the middle of the road, subject to the public's right of passage).

Q: "What are the rights that were reserved to the public?"

A: The original laws that granted private ownership reserved the rights of "fishing, fowling, and navigation." Court cases have also held that reserved public rights include the "natural derivatives" of these uses. There are hundreds of years of court cases that attempt to flesh out precisely what these various words mean.

Q: "Does 'fishing' include shellfishing?"

A: Yes. That means that members of the public may take shellfish from the wet sand area of privately owned property and they may walk along the wet sand area to gain access to the shellfish.

Q: "Does the public's right to use the wet sand area for fishing include the right to do aquaculture, such as quahog farming?"

A: The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court concluded that the public. s right to fish in the wet sand area does not include a right to occupy such areas with aquaculture pens. As a result, someone who wants to perform these aquaculture activities in wet sand areas must obtain the permission of the private owner in addition to applicable state and local licenses.

Q: "What is 'fowling'?"

A: "Fowling" certainly includes the hunting of birds. Our office takes the position that the term also includes other ways that birds can be "used," such as birdwatching. This issue has not yet been addressed by the courts.

Q: "Does 'navigation' include swimming?"

A: Yes, but. According to the courts, swimming in the intertidal zone is included within the reserved public right of navigation, but only so long as your feet don't touch the bottom! And you don't have a right to walk along the wet sand area solely for the purpose of gaining access for swimming.

Q: "What about walking below the low tide line?"

A: Private property owners cannot interfere with the public's right to walk along the submerged lands that lie seaward of the low tide line. With few exceptions, they don't own that land; the public does.

Q: "Since members of the public have the right to fish, fowl, and navigate in the wet sand area, then they can do whatever fishing, fowling, and navigation they want to do there, right?"

A: So far, we've just been talking about ownership issues. Just as a private property owner's rights are subject to reasonable regulation, the same is true of the public's reserved rights. Thus, for example, the government may require shellfishermen to obtain all applicable state and local permits and to comply with applicable shellfishing regulations. And, of course, members of the public who exercise their public rights to use the wet sand area must comply with other laws, such as the prohibition on littering and the creation of nuisances.

Q: "I've heard people say that all I really need to do to 'be legal' is to carry a fishing line in my pocket?"

A: Carrying a fishing line or a fishing pole would render your walking along the wet sands area legal only if you actually intended to fish.

Q: "Does the public have a right to use off-road vehicles over the wet sand areas to gain access for fishing?"

A: The Supreme Judicial Court has never ruled on whether driving an off-road vehicle across private wet sand areas for the purposes of gaining access to fishing areas is included within the public's right to fish. In any event, the use of off-road vehicles may be regulated by the government.

Q: "Like many of my fellow property owners, I don't mind the public walking along my wet sand area even if they are not 'fishing, fowling, or navigating,' so long as by allowing this, I don't lose any property rights in the process. Is there some way that I can be a 'good citizen' and still retain my property rights?"

A: Yes. What you appear to be worried about is the legal concept known as "prescription" or "adverse possession." This is the idea that if someone uses your property for a sufficiently long time, they may be able to claim a property interest in it. For someone to be able to make this claim, however, their use has to be without your permission. Therefore, openly allowing the public to walk across your land (e.g., by "posting" such permission) is perhaps the best way of defeating someone's ability to accrue such a right. Posting the land in this manner, of course, would not affect any access rights that anyone had already obtained before the posting.

Q: "O.K., that may solve one problem, but how about liability?"

A: Under existing state law, a property owner who allows the public to use his or her land for recreational purposes without charging for such use is shielded from liability for injuries sustained during that use so long as the property owner did not bury hidden boobytraps or otherwise act with such "fault" that his or her conduct constituted "wilful, wanton or reckless conduct." Here again, the best way for coastal property owners to protect themselves may be to allow the public to walk across their land.

Q: "Wasn't there a state law passed a few years ago that gave the public a right to walk along the wet sand area even if they weren't fishing, fowling, or navigating"?

A: Not exactly. You're referring to chapter 176, section 4 of the Acts of 1991. That law states that the public is to have a general right to walk along the wet sand area during dawn to dusk hours. Such a right is not effective, however, unless the state Department of Environmental Management (DEM) acquires it on behalf of the public through formal eminent domain proceedings involving the specific properties affected, where the private property owners from whom the right was acquired would be compensated.

Q: "How much compensation would a private landowner be due if the state "took" a general easement right pursuant to the 1991 law?"

A: The property owner would be owed the amount, if any, that the market value of his or her land was reduced by the fact that the public now had a general right to walk across the wet sand area, not just to do so for fishing, fowling, and navigation.

Q: "You've talked so far about access along the beach. How about access from inland areas to the beach?"

A: Generally speaking, the land inland of the mean high tide line is owned by private parties, just like other land. Members of the public therefore do not have a right to walk across this land unless they individually or collectively have obtained such a right, or if, in particular circumstances, such rights were reserved when the land was initially granted to a private party. Rights of access can be purchased or taken by eminent domain, or they may be acquired by long term use (e.g., by the doctrine of "prescription" mentioned above).

Q: "How can I resolve whether the public has a right to cross a particular parcel of private property to get to the sea?"

A: Unfortunately, resolving whether the public . or some subset of the public . has a right to use a given path can often be very difficult, requiring an intensive examination of the particular facts and evidence at issue. It can also be very expensive for both sides, especially if a full trial is needed to resolve the issues. As with the wet sand area discussed above, private property owners who want to protect their property rights, but who otherwise don't mind others walking across their land, can accomplish this by "posting" their permission. This would not, of course, affect any access rights that the public had already obtained before the posting.

Q: "What if I want to mediate a coastal access dispute?"

A: One resource to consider is the Massachusetts Office of Dispute Resolution (MODR), an institute of the University of Massachusetts Boston (formerly a state agency). MODR promotes and facilitates the use of dispute resolution by public agencies, municipalities, businesses, non-profit organizations and citizens of the Commonwealth. MODR works with these groups to resolve disputes collaboratively and to create effective programs to prevent and manage conflict. MODR services include mediation, facilitation, public participation, consensus building, systems design and skill-building training. Services are provided on a fee-for-service basis, through highly-experienced qualified conflict resolution practitioners who are staff or affiliates of MODR. To learn more about MODR, log on to MODR’s website: at www.umb.edu/modr or contact MODR at the University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, M-1-627, Boston, MA 02125; phone: (617) 287-4040; fax: (617) 287-4049.

Back Beach
12-21-2006, 01:29 PM

And this was confimed by who and when? Just curious, never fished there.

chris L
12-21-2006, 01:47 PM
dont walk down my drive way to fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no water there except a toilet

likwid
12-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I believe pretty much the entire western half of the island is private. You should not be on that road, ever. I think it belongs to the Spaldings (sports equip mogal). There is a modest house at the end, I thought that road was his.

From just past the bass club down to pigs is all Forbes property.

And they certainly aren't just rich people who just happened to land there because it was 'nice'.
The family has been on those islands since the mid 1800's.

Do unto others as you'd have done unto you.

Back Beach
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
what is the point of this thread?:huh:

One more question, does anyone know if Jesus ever fished there?Maybe he put the wire up?Wow. Maybe that's why some call it God's Country.Is the wire now down across the path because Andre the Giant actually did try to step over it and caught his leg? If so, he should have been prosecuted. He could probably get out to the home stand without a wet suit. What an island. I gotta get out there next year.:uhuh:

Happy holidays to all you guys.:btu:

JohnR
12-21-2006, 03:22 PM
what is the point of this thread?:huh:

To point out the difference between the (access) Haves and Have Nots :huh: :wave:

That's OK, Fat Man Walking (on the rocks)

Finaddict
12-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Technically speaking, in MA, even walking along the beach is considered tresspassing. Property owners actually own (and pay taxes on) the land that goes out into the water aways. Don't ask me how it became that way. I am strongly oppossed to this but that is what I have been told by owners of waterfront land. It is not like BI where the public can walk along the entire shore anywhere without any problem.

There is a 1600 something (or really old) "law" in MA that says if you are fishing or fowling you can walk along the shore in the water below the low tide line TO GET BY but technically your feet have to be wet to do this. Some refer to this as the "wet feet" law. Also, I am not so sure this "law" of that age will hold up if really pressed. I don't have a copy anymore but think it says you may only pass-by to get to a spot, not actually fish or hunt there. I think many owners of waterfront land have been there for a long time and understand the desire for fishermen and locals to access to fish and hunt and generally allow it out of the goodness of their hearts. But I tell you if it were my property and I saw 20 guys coming over for a commando trip contributing nothing to anyone, I would press the issue...but that is me and I don't live on waterfront land. From experience, it is best to maintain a "low profile" anyplace you fish esp on or even NEAR private property and don't bother ANYONE. You might consider asking for permission instead of just doing it. If you just do it without asking, go in with no more then 2 fishermen, go in late and come out early and don't tresspass near any homes, don't PO anyone, act like a gentlemen, respect their property...after all it IS theirs, and don't act like a whacko if you ever want to go again.

Agree ... this is right on the mark ... this is the best philosophy IMHO.

MartinD18
12-21-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/filelibrary/beachacc.pdf

tattoobob
12-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Martin,
that pdf is the same thing I posted

piemma
12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
are not that expensive at Sears
i was lookin at them this afternoon...
i need a new pair :uhuh:
...mine are kinda worn out now...
from cutting locks
SO.....combined with a battery powered sawz- all
and my forty foot heavy chain, plus a four wheel drive
they will cancel out any gate in no time....:cheers:
------------------------------------------------------------------
if silence is required instead........i'd just pour corrosive chemicals
on the fence combined with rope & potatoe sacks
filled with big rocks...or heavy garbage bags filled with sand

and totally melt it ....and make it all sag...over night
it's all play time.....:realmad:

and thats only if my key collection didnt work :bshake:
i hate all that private- world CRAP:rocketem:

See. Just listen to me. BUY A BOAT!!! They you will be done with all of this crap

Nebe
12-21-2006, 05:14 PM
See. Just listen to me. BUY A BOAT!!! They you will be done with all of this crap

:hee:

Grapenuts
12-21-2006, 05:37 PM
If you take a minute and think about it....has the internet awakened a sleepy island?...were once only word of mouth kept the crowd's down to a dull roar...now how many people know about this place because of threads like this one and others that came before it....do you really blame the owners for clamping down when they see as someone said the gangs coming over the hill?? we humans have a way of burning spots all to often and then piss and moan when the owners shut us out....we only have ourselve's to blame.

chris L
12-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Im not a human being ..... Im an animal

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
I thought all of the Elizabeth Islands except Cuttyhunk and Penikese are privately owned by the Forbes family. I took a rather formal tour of all the Elizabeth’s including CH a number of years ago and the historian narrated the entire way speaking of the Forbes and their history on all the islands on the way out, however, when we arrived at CH he mention that ½ of CH was publicly owned, but the western half was private. I asked him about this and I thought he told me Spalding owned that house on the end and that half the island was pretty much his.

Maybe Spalding gave it to Forbes? I don't know for sure it was a while a go that I took this tour (10 years?) and I am losing my mind now. Lord knows, I have been wrong on other things.

I do agree with you and think that it is quite impressive that Forbes has kept the islands pristine and it is one of the few places left that when you approach by boat, that IS the way it look hundreds of years ago. I know you are allowed to hang out on a couple beaches during the summer but I still would like to walk its shores with rod in hand. IMO some of the coves on those islands would be simply outstanding surf fishing spots...as good or even better then CH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naushon_Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttyhunk

BTW, technically the town of Gosnold is part of Dukes county, which means MV is in charge!!! LOL!!! HEY!! THAT IS MY ROCK!! GET OFF!! LOL!

likwid
12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Sandman: Half of Cuttyhunk is owned by the Forbes.

While the fishing is great from the beach there, by boat its even better. :hihi:

baldwin
12-21-2006, 09:35 PM
True, the Spaldings own the whole west end. That chain is often closed, keeps out the jeeps and golf carts. This isn't really anything new, they've been closing it for the last few years. You can go the northern trail, go around the shoreline (ouch), or just quietly walk down. This is the trend all over the striper coast. I guess it's an inevitable part of the island getting more fishermen than previous years. I'd rather see few fishermen down there, anyway. Take a hint if you have special places you like to fish. Don't publicize them. Yes, it's a great spot. Yes, we love to fish it. But, if we post places like that, they'll receive more traffic and people will eventually ruin the access. Ideally, it shouldn't happen, and the spots should be open for access until eternity, but this is the real world. Keep those spots quiet. It'll delay their closure, and you won't have as much danger of making the long hike to find someone fishing your favorite rock.

eelman
12-21-2006, 10:54 PM
It did happen on Block but, it took many years..many...Thats the big problem with the Internet..It only took cutty two seasons to be destroyed, way to many people out there and everyone knows about it and they all found out to fast..You have to ask yourselves how many people read this site and how many trips were organized just from this site alone?? Before you guys made a private cutty forum etc...even still..the forum reads "cutty"..Talk about the "spot burn" that place was burned right here and no one noticed???? give me a break?? Evereyone had a hand in the demise of that place, it has become the gen-x hotspot..The tough thing is that likwid is right, the place is PRIVATE..No matter how you slice it, you have no right whatsoever to be on that private property..None...Block is different, there are many places to fish which are not private and the place is ten times the size..And then you have the stories about the place...A certain person I know got mutilated for writing about spots yet, it seems it bothers no one that cutty has been written about...It was also featured on television.

Evereyone is going to lose on this one, that Island is just way to small to handle what has come there way and, from what I hear the bass club is not going to be around much longer.
Piemma is right either get a boat or stop complaining, private property is a fact of life in surf fishing and access..when a 50% private Island gets overrun in a season or two, people are going to take notice..

When Block Island was hot, there was no Internet or lighting fast communication like there is now, there were no "big" club organized assaults on the Island like what goes on on cutty..Not saying its bad just saying its very different, plus the place is just so small..How many clubs and people are already booked for next spring?? yikes...I would rather fish the mainland...everyone on that place wants to crowd and squezz in at the pigs..

Cutty is a victim of to much way to soon...

bart
12-21-2006, 11:56 PM
well put

eelman
12-22-2006, 12:48 AM
When I went there in the spring there were fishing clubs from NY,CT,MA,RI...You name it. lots of guys could not find fish at Block etc..so they decided to give cutty a whirl...In my opinion haveing fished both places, Cutty is easier and thats what everyone wants, its much smaller and fish are concentrated more out there. The fishing is great no doubt but still , save for the walk from the club to the pigs, I dont think its anywhere near as hard as Block is, at least from a fish finding point of view. When I went out there last spring there were guys from NY,CT,MA,RI..You name it...It seemed like alot for a 2 mile Island...you could see that the writing would be on the wall as to just how much tolorance there would be for hoards of fisherman out there, especially since the place is half private...The mentality is different and they just dont want to be overrun, I dont think its got to do with trash or anything else, its just privacy...simple as that.

When I was there the NY guys told me that the CT. Surfcasters told them about it, I know those guys had been going there for a few years or more and they thought anyway that no one knew...people knew because there is always someone in a group that talks...Obviously the word spread that the fish are stacked up out there like cordwood...duh?? of course they would be! Its in a perfect spot and its small...not alot to learn about that Island...its fairly easy for someone who has any brains to walk off the boat and know where to fish after a couple hour walk.

Now I see that from my point of view and really there is no dening this fact....This is definatly an Internet born spot burn. No question about it, Its the new 21st century way. Just because its an Island does not mean it can be freely talked about and then think no one is going to go there....Most of the new guys are so hot up to catch fish they will go to any length to get to a place and spare no expense.Then, when an instance like this comes up they say stuff like, "I will go anyway" I will bring bolt cutters" "screw the owners" makes me laugh. The very people that had a hand in it are now whinning.

If the people who own land or the whatever decide to turn a cold shoulder to fisherman out there , just remember and search back here and on other boards and look at how much that place was talked about...Then look at the new concept, instead of going with a couple friends, now its an all out party with grand plans and groups of 10 guys or more plus boats and rooms and tons of food.. That wont last forever no matter where it is. Block Island never had that , nothing like that. You never saw groups of 10 guys heading over together.

I dont have tons of time out there , I am just stating what I think is going on...My prefrence has always been the Block...Which by the way still has plenty of fish..

You guys slammed someone I Know well for "spotburning" and all the time your lighting a match and tending a fire of your own without even realizing it:doh: Burning yourselves........

Remember to, that just because there is a bass on the church and bonnie hugs everyone who gets off the boat with a rod in there hands doesnt mean the private land owners feel the same way...One thing is for sure...She and the club (Acually hotel) are not there for free they are buisness people who are in buisnesss to make money...thats why they charge for the rooms...money drives everything....The forbes or whoever else owns land doesnt need surfcasters money but the club does..She doesnt own the club and the current owners have in fact discussed selling the place in the near future..There is always more to things than meets the eye...

Would I still go there? once a year sure, but when its over its over...sooner or later one of the private owners hirs will want to do something with or on there property..and I dont think surfcasters are tenants that they have to keep.

Carry on, book your reservations now for huge groups next spring...cause it wont last forever...............

piemma
12-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Bill is right. The internet is a great tool but can cause huge problems such as the spreading of information at frightening speed.

Back in the "old days" (late 70's thru late 90's) no one ever spoke of Cutty. We knew the boat guys hammered fish out there but there was too much good fishing on the Cape. The Back was still hot. No seals to speak of and very little closure problems.

I think the Cutty thing started to get big the last 3 years. There were a select few who were quietly doing a number out there but weren't talking about it. Then there were a few posts here and on a couple of other sites and the next thing you knew there were more trips being organized to Cutty than to all the other destinations.

I also think that the down turn of fishing on the Back, the lack of big fish on the Block and the access difficulties there (i.e. no access to SW Point without a long walk). The costs and access problems on the Vineyard and Nantucket and the other exotic destinations that were "trips" back then. All of these things combined with the great fishing have made Cutty the destination of choice for the better than average surf fisherman.

Access there will become more difficult. The Forbes family will put tighter controls on the chain of islands and then the place will become less of a favorite destination.
Personally, I think that if the Feds can cooperate with the fishing community and resolve the access and seal problems on th Outer beaches, the fishing will return to what it was in the past and the presuure will be decreased on the Islands.

JohnR
12-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Bill is wrong in this parts of this case. "This site" ruined Cuttyhunk? Give me a effin' break. I think you are again over emphasising the reach this site has in the negative. It took two seasons for Cutty to be destroyed - by the Internet? The Internet can have a negative impact, surely just as monthly and weekly magazines and the "Fish Here" articles in them, weekly fishing reports in newspapers, "Fish Here" books, and any other "source". I believe S-B strikes a good balance when it comes to direct and indirect pressure - though even maybe tooo restrictive but better safe than sorry. We CERTAINLY have less coverage than OTW or the Fisherman, and therefore far less pressure.

The specific items in this thread in argument on Cutty are the access to the SW corner of the island and the chain put at the end of the access road. This has been going off and on for at least 5 years I know of and was the case the first time the "S-B" group went over several years back.

The past decade has had two large fishing bed & breakfasts on the island catering to fisherman, the docks have their charters that cater to fisherman. Clubs and individual anglers have been going to Cutty for years to fish from shore. The fact that 20 people from this site & a few others have arranged 2 trips over there have had little impact.

Cutty is being written about in Maggies from both shore and boat, it is known in an historical sense simply as where the big gals go (hence Church & Cinto). Cutty has a lot of pressure For It but it also attracts some of it's pressure by design. There are many on the island that need the Tourodollars to survive.

And yes, you are absoultely correct to state that the few land owners over there want to keep their deal private but at the same time some of the residents over there need to keep down 4 jobs to make it. Not many places you'll have someone as a charter guide, fireman, and three other job descriptions.

So which is it? S-B burns places toast? Or we're too hard on people that talk spots? That everything is given away on a silver platter? Or too many thumping their chest?

Is there too much pressure on Cutty? Probably. Are we - S-B - the source of that pressure? Uh, I don't think so. Certainly not in a significant way. And certainly at a much lower pressure than other methods have on other spots.

Slipknot
12-22-2006, 07:51 AM

Wow has this thread evolved
I guess it stirred up some more conversation and speculation.

Sounds like your statement is not anything new likwid, it's been closed. What is your source for who owns it? Baldwin and Sandman seem to think it's not Forbes but Spaulding.:huh: doesn't matter anyway.It's their land and they can put up fences or signs or whatever.

Ever since I saw Cinto's fish on the cover of OTW back in the 90's , I always wanted to catch a cow there, I even bought a boat in 97 to do that, never made to pigs though since I had nobody to go with that knew it and I wasn't stupid enough to try it. Plenty of good fishing all over, fish have fins, they swim.

Bill, not all of us on this site blasted your friend Steve for his article.
And the bolt cutters thing was meant for you to laugh I'm sure, don't take it all so serious, or do, I don't care.

Merry Christmas

eelman
12-22-2006, 08:10 AM
John, I never said it was only this site only and, again I am not alowed to make a point, I am sorry but once in a while its good to take a little responsability...How many lurkers are there out there that read the site or sites that have to do with fishing? And one other thing , Not everything is an attack John, The truth is that Cutty has been talked about alot here for the past few years. 20 guys on that Island twice a year is alot in my opinion because the place is so very tiny...While it did not have everything to do with the overcrowding...there is no way you can say it had NOTHING to do with it..........You may not have the rach of a Magazine but , its time to stop saying no one reads the site, It has become popular.

Why should the SB trips be any different than any other clubs trip out there?? It all contributes, doesnt it? Sure you may not have the reach of OTW but, you certainly have reach.

The thread got huge, I read it and then gave my opinion. You have a policy of no spot talk and zero tolarance for it but yet its ok to talk about Cutty and have a forum dedicated to it. I am just confused, thats all.Seems to me thats spot talk

Fishing there or anyplace else where there are private owners is a privledge not a right. They can do what they want.

No matter what anyone thinks of my opinions , one thing is for sure .That place has recieved a huge volume of press in a real short time.

Your right, people have fished there for years, Tim went there in the 70's However info was not spread like now, it was a slow trickle at best.

"So which is it? S-B burns places toast? Or we're too hard on people that talk spots? That everything is given away on a silver platter? Or too many thumping their chest?"

Your dragging stuff into this that isnt nessasary...However I say again, you yourself instituted a rule of no spot talk...you speak freely about a cutty all the time...Thats a double standard isnt it?

Maybe the better thing to say would be that everyone has some blame to take for instant rise and fame of cuttyhunk...I was just as guilty posting things about my trip !

Hard on people who talk spots?? you bet...mention the west wall on here and the thread gets edited....Mention cutty and thats a green light..........

I just looked, there have been over 1000 views on this thread already...Thats alot of traffic.

I re-read what I wrote John, I did not out and out attack this site at all. I just said that the plca e is talked about and that tripes are orginzed ..then those tripe are reported on and 1000 people read those reports..Thats all true

Was not an attack John on you or the site..

Slipknot
12-22-2006, 08:33 AM
"
No matter what anyone thinks of my opinions , one thing is for sure .That place has recieved a huge volume of press in a real short time."

Yep, you're right about that it seems, and it's only gonna get more it seems, :( too bad

"Fishing there or anyplace else where there are private owners is a privledge not a right. They can do what they want"

We mention the canal all the time too and there are private owners there also, but we don't talk pole numbers usually so it doesn't burn the canal by speaking of it. And the owners do do what they want, including dumping grass clipping over the fence onto you ;) right MikeP? :D

time to buy a boat soon, the surfcaster is going the way of the dinosaur :( sad I'm more comfortable on shore and like the challenge better, I guess I'll stick it out and fight the seals and plovers and mung and private access issues.............

beamie
12-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Boy this thread is churning some opinions.

Just think about the numbers of people who read the stories of Cutty whether recent stories on the net or from an oldtimer at the shop. The number of people who hear and read about the stories but never do actually go/get a chance to fish there far exceed the number of people who actually do.

So is it ok to finally go make the trek to Cutty because you read the story and saw the pic of Churchs bass...or talked with Otnic at a meeting about his fish.....but you can't if you happened to read about it on a site.

This thread is reading this way........I have been going there on and off for years and the internet ruined it.......So you have yours and no one else "new" can try it?......Where and how did the people who went there in the past hear about Cutty.....but that way was ok.

The fact is that fishing is popular and is on the upswing of popular since the recovery of the bass numbers. People have a little money in thier pocket and want to make the trip out there....so be it, you can't change it, there are no grandfather rules saying I heard about this place before you so you can't come.

When the day comes where the bass cycle is on the downturn and fishing is real slow, the number of people going out there will drop, internet or no internet, high gas prices or low gas prices, eels or no eels.

Merry X-mas

RIROCKHOUND
12-22-2006, 09:15 AM
F____ It
I'm staying in SoCo :D

JohnR
12-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Bill - I partially agree. Yes, Cutty has been talked about an awful lot - IMO too many spots are talked about online and in print toooo much. Believe me I've taken a lot of hear for that. Talking in generalities I think is more acceptable. Talking in reports is what I feel does the most damage. You've seen what can happen when that occurs.

I do think that specific spots and reports should be better handled mouth to mouth, over the phone, and between club members. ALL of the pertinent information can be handled that way - not just what the writer choses - and imoprtant things like access, parking, when to be quiet and such can be discussed angler to angler. That is IMO safer for our sport.

Fishing reports and specific spots are sexy and they sell. Personally I think the potential for damage is not worth the sexiness of running reports. I think we as anglers need to be more responsible with that so WE don't loose the access we have. I'd rather err on the side of caution than make the Report buck. I think that is responsible.

Has S-B worked Cutty? Yes. Are we 5% of the talk about Cutty? Maybe. Are we repsonsible with how we talk ablut Cutty? I think so, perhaps as not as much as we could. That goes the same for a lot of places. But I do believe we are far more responsible with specific spots AND reports than just about any other "media" source.

Back Beach
12-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Bill is right. The internet is a great tool but can cause huge problems such as the spreading of information at frightening speed.

Back in the "old days" (late 70's thru late 90's) no one ever spoke of Cutty. We knew the boat guys hammered fish out there but there was too much good fishing on the Cape. The Back was still hot. No seals to speak of and very little closure problems.

I think the Cutty thing started to get big the last 3 years. There were a select few who were quietly doing a number out there but weren't talking about it. Then there were a few posts here and on a couple of other sites and the next thing you knew there were more trips being organized to Cutty than to all the other destinations.

I also think that the down turn of fishing on the Back, the lack of big fish on the Block and the access difficulties there (i.e. no access to SW Point without a long walk). The costs and access problems on the Vineyard and Nantucket and the other exotic destinations that were "trips" back then. All of these things combined with the great fishing have made Cutty the destination of choice for the better than average surf fisherman.

No doubt it is the "IN" place right now. Every place has its turn. When the cape was good, EVERYONE went. You would see MA,RI,CT,NY,NJ plates parked bumper to bumper on a Tuesday night. How crowded was it? People had to save spots for one another in the afternoon so you would have a place to stand at night.This was all well before the internet. People gravitate towards the easy, or presumed sure thing when it comes to surf fishing.
Seeing the cape sucks,NY is too far, NH has no fish,Rhody has no access, and the only thing you can catch in CT is lyme disease, everyone puts Cutty on a pedestal right now. This too shall pass when the fad wears off, leaving the real die hards with the place all to themselves, just like all the above mentioned locales.
Most of my fish are still caught in little "hole in the wall" spots nowadays, because I never got a good return on my efforts by chasing the "fad" spots.If you are smart, you will learn to fish the places closest to where you live really well, and you will produce better than average results with good consistency.

eelman
12-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Back Beach makes a good point, Its is a fad and fads come and go, its this genarations Block Island. I think the discussion on how fast Info gets around is a good one, there is no doubt that its a lightning fast world now. I still think that an Island that small is going to come to a breaking point sooner or later.

I see lots of guys here do great things etc.. your all good friends and all that and its a great place to hang and chat etc... But Still discussions go on about places no matter how inocent and people learn where they are talking about very fast. Comes with the territory.

fishaholic18
12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Bill, how did you learn about Cutty?
I know how I did.....:bshake:
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander???:rollem:

Canalman
12-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Billy,

I'm not trying to start a huge battle or anything, but you really played a big part in ths "blowing up of cutty" check these out...

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=32644&highlight=cutty

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=34927&highlight=cutty

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=34707&highlight=cuttyhunk

With the things you say in these threads... who wouldn't go? :huh: That said, I wouldn't know half of what I know about cutty if it weren't for your whispered secrets... like I said... not trying to start a battle... just pointing this out.

-Dave

piemma
12-22-2006, 10:22 AM
John:
I never meant to imply that it wa S-B.com that caused the overfishing at Cutty. I stated that it was the Internet. I meant that as a generalization. I still believe that the Internet in general spreads information at light speed and, as a result, things (good and bad) happen at a faster rate than back before the .com era.

You know that I am a huge fan, a loyal board member and a friend. I meant harm to our site.

Canalman
12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
John:
I meant harm to our site.

Freudian slip? :laughs:

JohnR
12-22-2006, 10:41 AM
John:
I never meant to imply that it wa S-B.com that caused the overfishing at Cutty. I stated that it was the Internet. I meant that as a generalization. I still believe that the Internet in general spreads information at light speed and, as a result, things (good and bad) happen at a faster rate than back before the .com era.

You know that I am a huge fan, a loyal board member and a friend. I meant harm to our site.

None taken at all ;) And Merry Christmas to you sir as I probably will not see you.

:hihi:

Clammer
12-22-2006, 10:46 AM
I can hit f #$%^&*( rocks anywhere ><><:spin:

piemma
12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
John:
I wish you and your family all the best of the Holiday season.

fishaholic18
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
http://img115.exs.cx/img115/5941/offtopic8ys.gifhttp://img217.exs.cx/img217/5036/pophugbyzappe1ak.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_32_7.gif:love: :love:

Canalman
12-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Well I'm glad everything turned out alright :uhuh: :jester:

fishaholic18
12-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Well I'm glad everything turned out alright :uhuh: :jester:

Don't you feel the LOVE???:yak6:

eelman
12-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Billy,

I'm not trying to start a huge battle or anything, but you really played a big part in ths "blowing up of cutty" check these out...

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=32644&highlight=cutty

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=34927&highlight=cutty

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=34707&highlight=cuttyhunk

With the things you say in these threads... who wouldn't go? :huh: That said, I wouldn't know half of what I know about cutty if it weren't for your whispered secrets... like I said... not trying to start a battle... just pointing this out.

-Dave

Your right Dave, but I sent you alot of stuff to help you out the best I could in PM'S ..........And the cat was far out of the bag before I posted anything...And in one of those threads I edited it down to a simple "cutty was good" You dont have to preface everything you say with "Not trying to start trouble" When in fact thats exactly why you would take the time to search someones past posts, its obvious you want to look at this though only my window of posts..there is a reason for that..I know where you fish...do I paste up here for all to see?? Nope...Most of the cutty threads I write were pics not stunning insight..I am surprised that someone who I have told things to and tried to be honest with turns around and somehow trys to turn threads into my fault? So agree with none of what I said..Those whispered secrets were for you only, and to use that against me when I was tring to be a friend is pretty low in my opinion, those pms should have stayed between you and I...Trust is a funny thing, I took dave at his word when he told me you were "ok" you live and learn...stabbed in the back for giving helpfull advice...this stuff is nuts.......

F18....I did not learn about that place on the Internet, thats for sure...I came very close to going there in 1996 for the first time and it fell though...so Whatever you may think you know or the idea that I learned here is false...Just FYI...

Swimmer
12-22-2006, 12:21 PM
What does this trust have to do with Cuttyhunk, a seperate island?

And you can call a road private all you want, but there is way more to that than just posting a sign.

Nebe
12-22-2006, 12:23 PM
guys, cuttyhunk has always been known as a great place to fish for bass. I think all of you are over reacting about this and cutty is certianly not ruined because of one piece of access being cut off out there. take a deep breath and have a merry christmas :D

eelman
12-22-2006, 12:28 PM
guys, cuttyhunk has always been known as a great place to fish for bass. I think all of you are over reacting about this and cutty is certianly not ruined because of one piece of access being cut off out there. take a deep breath and have a merry christmas :D

Best thing said all day...Merry Xmas to you also!

JHABS
12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
The only Secret on the Island would be When and Where to Go and What to Use............

Canalman
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Bill I said "not trying to start trouble" because I know about your explosive tendencies... don;t try and turn the tables here... I was just pointing out that you have yourself to blame for blowing up the island that everyone already knew about....

Canalman
12-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Those PMs did stay between you and I. You are insane. I don't think you get it... I'm not trying to trash you... I'm pointing out the fact that you complain about things that are largely under your own control... you do it all the time. I'm not trying to disassemble our friendship... you gave me great advice, now take some from me, if you stop posting specific info things won't change and if you think before you post and read things through... you'll see that they're not always of ill intent.

And that post where you said "cutty was good" was edited... most of us remember what was actually said.

Canalman
12-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Light fuse and get away...........

eelman
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Those PMs did stay between you and I. You are insane. I don't think you get it... I'm not trying to trash you... I'm pointing out the fact that you complain about things that are largely under your own control... you do it all the time. I'm not trying to disassemble our friendship... you gave me great advice, now take some from me, if you stop posting specific info things won't change and if you think before you post and read things through... you'll see what they actually mean.

And that post where you said "cutty was good" was edited... most of us remember what was actually said.

My second post here says that, I admitted I said things also, but It was not me who burned the place, I could care less about the place, once a year is enough for me if that. I am not insane, just wondering why you felt the need to put that "whispered" stuff in your thread. Pms are just that, Private..Its no big deal, the truth is I never went there with 20guys in tow...and then expect none of them to talk.

Canalman
12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I've never been there with 20 guys in tow either man. I think we're fighting for the same thing here... you just missed my point.

Canalman
12-22-2006, 12:50 PM
What difference does it make if I mentioned a PM... it says nothing about the contents...

fishaholic18
12-22-2006, 01:22 PM
F18....I did not learn about that place on the Internet, thats for sure...I came very close to going there in 1996 for the first time and it fell though...so Whatever you may think you know or the idea that I learned here is false...Just FYI...
And where in the F%$#@ did I say that?? Stop putting F%$#@ word in my mouth!!!
http://www.asturcon3.com/emicons/KOLOBOK/aiwan_smiles/tease.gif
I asked u a ?? that u failed to answer...:heybaby:
My point was////YOU learned it from someone,somewhere,somehow..Right?????
Unless you just woke up one morning and figured you'd be the founder this island that has never been stepped on and call it Cutty.....:hee: :heybaby:

Fish_Eye
12-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I first learned about Cuttyhunk about 46 years ago. It was considered the high alter of places to fish back in the 50s when I read about it in Salt Water Sportsman magazine. Damn that Frank Woolner, what a spot burning fool he was! Unless you live under a rock, or you can’t read, or you don’t talk to old timers and pick their brains about great spots to fish, you have to know about Cuttyhunk.

For the last 10 years I’ve been showcasing the island and acknowledging the rich history of the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club and focusing my underwater camera on the schools of linesiders that frequent the area. I happen to be an outdoor writer, that’s my profession; I happen to be a video producer; how could I avoid featuring the one place on the planet that I always dreamed of fishing since I was 10 years old? How could anyone ignore a place that has been synonymous with striped bass since 1864?

I’ve put up many a post with pictures and descriptions of where to fish on the island. My latest DVD has over twenty minutes dedicated to my own hunt for monster bass and it showcases Cuttyhunk. Before the ball drops in Time Square thousands of anglers will have gotten a lesson in history and will learn about Cuttyhunk. BTW last month Field and Stream featured the Striper Club on Cuttyhunk as one of the top 25 places to fish in the United States – over 3 million people will eventually read about it.

For better or worse we live in an information age. In the past you had to figure things out for yourself or perhaps some old salt would take you under his wings and show you the ropes, now the information is out there…it’s only a few mouse clicks away.

However, on a shrinking planet with a growing population and dwindling resources we now have more responsibility than ever before. We have the responsibility to protect and preserve. We all share in the right to use the common resource but access rights to the shore vary from state to state. We are all responsible for how we conduct ourselves when we fish the surf. We need to respect private property, we need to be quiet, we need to police the area and leave it cleaner than we found it. If given the right of way across private property we need to show respect and realize that it’s a gift that can easily be taken away.

I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about golf carts full of beer and gangs of fishermen making their way to the point with more of an interest in partying than in fishing. I’m afraid we’re going to have to police ourselves when it comes to this kind of bad behavior…a few bad apples can ruin things for all of us.

I will continue to promote Cuttyhunk as one of the top striper destinations on the planet, as I will Beavertail, Point Judith, Block Island, Gay Head and the other "secret spots" like Montauk Point. I can only hope that people will enjoy and respect these places as much as I do.

I couldn’t help but notice that there are close to 4,000 views of the post on fishing Australia’s Steep Point and other world famous down owner hot spots, obviously it’s immensely entertaining to learn about a world famous spot to fish…some might say this is spot burning of the highest magnitude. I say, “That’s unadulterated balderdash!” People have a right to tell stories about great places to fish and people have a right to learn about them and even visit them. If anyone has a problem with that concept I hope they visit Steep Point and take a flying leap…hopefully there will be a tiger shark waiting below.

Happy Holidays!

Mike

eelman
12-22-2006, 01:47 PM
And where in the F%$#@ did I say that?? Stop putting F%$#@ word in my mouth!!!
http://www.asturcon3.com/emicons/KOLOBOK/aiwan_smiles/tease.gif
I asked u a ?? that u failed to answer...:heybaby:
My point was////YOU learned it from someone,somewhere,somehow..Right?????
Unless you just woke up one morning and figured you'd be the founder this island that has never been stepped on and call it Cutty.....:hee: :heybaby:

How did you know? Thats exactly waht happened...your good! I woke up one morning and it came to me ...just like that:gu: :gu: :kewl:

fishaholic18
12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
How did you know? Thats exactly waht happened...your good! I woke up one morning and it came to me ...just like that:gu: :gu: :kewl:

I thought so...http://img57.echo.cx/img57/3364/sc0421pv.gif

Pete F.
12-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Nomans
:chatter
OhOh I did it now
:smash:

Slipknot
12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Boy this thread is churning some opinions.

Just think about the numbers of people who read the stories of Cutty whether recent stories on the net or from an oldtimer at the shop. The number of people who hear and read about the stories but never do actually go/get a chance to fish there far exceed the number of people who actually do.

So is it ok to finally go make the trek to Cutty because you read the story and saw the pic of Churchs bass...or talked with Otnic at a meeting about his fish.....but you can't if you happened to read about it on a site.

This thread is reading this way........I have been going there on and off for years and the internet ruined it.......So you have yours and no one else "new" can try it?......Where and how did the people who went there in the past hear about Cutty.....but that way was ok.

The fact is that fishing is popular and is on the upswing of popular since the recovery of the bass numbers. People have a little money in thier pocket and want to make the trip out there....so be it, you can't change it, there are no grandfather rules saying I heard about this place before you so you can't come.

When the day comes where the bass cycle is on the downturn and fishing is real slow, the number of people going out there will drop, internet or no internet, high gas prices or low gas prices, eels or no eels.

Merry X-mas

Yup

whiplash
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know how many of you guys are from the Cape and Islands - I mean born there. I was. And I fished all the Holy Grounds in the 50's and 60's and 70's and I could really b**** about all the folks that invaded the beaches and the "spots", the Feds coming in and screwing up the lower Cape, but I don't because I'm sure someone was b****ing about me coming in .Its all "progress" wether we like it or not. It was bad enough when it was just Saltwater Sportsmen and The Fishermen mags one article about the whiteperch in the Agawam back in the 60's and three years later you couldn't by a fish in that river. If you don't like the crowds -stay home -if you don't want someone else on your rock -don't post- this and the other sites are based on a common theme FISHING and sharing info . Nobody is fishing a spot for the first time ,we are always walking in some elses boot prints -accept. If some place gets shut down we have no one else to blame but ourselves. Get over it and try and be the best ambassadour(sp) for fishing that you can be and maybe fewer spots will be off limits. Sorry if I pissed anybody off but think about the locals its thier towns we are invading.
Merry Chritmas and be safe.
Jim

fishaholic18
12-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Where the %$#@ do you come up with these words????:hee:

afterhours
12-22-2006, 07:33 PM
when the going gets tough- the tough get going. maybe it'll keep people away........don't think the net exposed cutty- everyones always known about it. it always came up like bi, mtk, nausett back in the day. i started fishing it by boat in the '80s and by shore the last few years.

piemma
12-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Christ. Next year the "new" hot spot will be Fishers Island.

NIB
12-23-2006, 07:47 AM
I travel some to fish i enjoy it an the company of new friends I have made ..
Never made the pilgrimage to cutty although i was offered a trip over many times..
I read some good post's in this thread like sandman's tread lightly post on how to gain late night access on private property.It's pretty much common sense..
Like I read if I could guess the problem is not the fisherman albeit 1 or 20.
The food user groups that give our sport a bad name does not/will not make the trip over there.
The sport of Striped Bass fishing has increased 1000 fold since Timmy made the trip there in the 70's.
We have to face the facts even without a internet these little gems would get found out.
Its Progress U can bury Ur head in the sand an wish on days gone by or u can do what U can to enjoy Ur life..
I will an have always done what it takes in the pursuit of happiness.
Let Ur conscious be Ur guide.
Merry Christmas To All From The NIB..

shadow
12-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I travel some to fish i enjoy it an the company of new friends I have made ..
Never made the pilgrimage to cutty although i was offered a trip over many times..
I read some good post's in this thread like sandman's tread lightly post on how to gain late night access on private property.It's pretty much common sense..
Like I read if I could guess the problem is not the fisherman albeit 1 or 20.
The food user groups that give our sport a bad name does not/will not make the trip over there.
The sport of Striped Bass fishing has increased 1000 fold since Timmy made the trip there in the 70's.
We have to face the facts even without a internet these little gems would get found out.
Its Progress U can bury Ur head in the sand an wish on days gone by or u can do what U can to enjoy Ur life..
I will an have always done what it takes in the pursuit of happiness.
Let Ur conscious be Ur guide.
Merry Christmas To All From The NIB..good post NIB I think people can cry about this kind of stuff or go about thier bussines quitely under the rader if access on the dirt road is cut off find your own way out to the west end and don't tell no one where your fishing.

Mr. Sandman
12-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Christ. Next year the "new" hot spot will be Fishers Island.

Peimma, You might be right.

Goose
12-23-2006, 12:06 PM
There is no way in hell a place like CH would have been kept hush. We knew about it but didn't know about it before Greg. It was a learning adventure for all of us, we where mostly blind, now all the guys have to do is send a few pm's (if they're aren't spilling their gutts on their own) and then people wonder why the eff'in place looks like a christmas tree in the middle of a summer weekend. I along with others walked around island looking for spots...now people want it handed to'um. Its is the site but more so some of the people on it.

Swimmer
12-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Cutty is almost like Quick's Hole. For decades I heard about the legendary cows that came from both places. I have never stepped foot on Cutty but I fished within casting distance of shore many times, many times. I have fished Quick's and the surrounding area. Like all places they become popular because some of us have chosen to go there and talk about it later. Its not that many huge fish were caught by the guys here there, but that over the years many guys have spread the legendary word about a few of the cows that were either caught on or very near Cutty. I think I'll have to make the trip before the whole island closes:humpty: down for good.

JohnR
12-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Goose - we all knew about Cutty and wanted to go. Greg was nice enough to get us together for it...

I've run into plenty of people of the years that have fished Cutty from shore more than once, visited friends on the Island, stayed at an Inn, or sailed in to drop anchor in the harbor and have Avon races with the kids.

I don't see how anyone could possibly feel that 20 shore anglers on a weekend working a shoreline AWAY from everyone else could impact that place on 100th of what the Hampton Regatta Club does when they have a sail-a-thon to the "Best Kept Secret Destination" in the northeast. Yes, Cutty is consistantly ranked very high in all kinds of sail and power boat and cruising journals, plus everything from the WSJ to Yachting.

The pressure on that island is immense, the amount of pressure on that Island from surfcasters is miniscule. We, as a group, often look at out impact or success through the common eyes of anglers. Sometimes we see the impact from our perspective yet neglect to consider other major factors, and in this case significantly greater impact of the public at large on that island.

If you put every fishing rag together plus the internet, the total reach must be 5% of the reach of all the boating / cruising / destination mags. Anyone that has seen the harbor fill on a friday night with yacht after yacht trailing in single file at 1 minute intervals should recognize that 20 guys surfcasting (which is probably far higher than the norm) will have negligible impact on that island.

Swimmer
12-23-2006, 03:49 PM
I think we should have a fill up the ferry group fishing trip for the spring to the new secret destination. When we arrive we all walk off :walk: the ferry like we dont know each other and then meet up :bgi: at a prearranged "secret spot" to plunder the fishes!

DJ Muller
12-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I have fished Cuttyhunk, I have fished the Vineyard, I have fished Jamestown, Montauk, on and on it goes. I have had good nights on the Hunk, but better and "bigger' nights on the Vineyard, on Jamestown, on Montauk too, as well as Jersey. Being in the right place at the right time pays some huge dividends...sometimes. I have also fished some "unbelievable" locales where I have fished a week straight with nothing but dinks. Cuttyhunk is strategically good, but it is not the only "mecca" on the planet. I have come home from there with "little" or nothing. It comes down to...what makes happen for you. the CC canal, the outer Cape, Plum Island...whatever. If you enjoy it and it satisfies you...go for it! And enjoy it. Cuttyhunk is only one of hundreds!